Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   '59 brake lamp switch (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1164731-59-brake-lamp-switch.html)

punchy1 05-26-2012 11:26 PM

'59 brake lamp switch

Been awhile since ive been on here. Will update profile when i figure how. Anyway, i no longer have the '77 (wish i did). Just bought a '59 f100. Will have pics up soon. My love affair with old ford trucks will never end. I'm a little embarrased to ask this question, but is that the brake light switch on front of master cylinder? just a different set-up than i'm used to, being where most are there somewhere on the pedal lever. thanks!

f5fordgirl 05-27-2012 06:19 AM

Yes, thats the brake light switch.

punchy1 05-27-2012 09:26 AM

Thanks alot! i figured that was it. Just wanted a confirmation. I'm going to get a repair manual for it. Haynes and Chilton doesnt make them that old, so i guess I'll have to find an official Ford one. i have plenty of projects to do on it. Thanks again!

spurredon 05-27-2012 02:31 PM

1959 FORD PICKUP TRUCK F SERIES Shop Service Manual | eBay

Here you go , enjoy your truck!

punchy1 05-27-2012 05:02 PM

Thanks a ton! i'm going to pick that up right now. I'm sure it has plenty of good info in it. And is $10 less than what everyone is asking. thanks again.

NumberDummy 05-28-2012 06:06 AM

C1AZ-13480-A (replaced 0A-13480) .. Pressure activated Brake Lamp Switch (Motorcraft SW-24) / Available from Ford and a gazillion autoparts stores.

Applications: Myriad 1940/66 FoMoCo vehicles & 1940/66 Studebakers & 1957/58 Packabakers cuz Studebaker #666858 is the same puppy.

This switch is activated when you step on the brake pedal, is notorious for getting gummed up with dirty brake fluid, rendering it inoperable.

In 1967 when Ford went with dual master cylinders, they moved the switch to the brake pedal. 1967 is one year only. 1968 and later is the same for many years.

SoCal transplant: June 23rd at Canyon RV Park located in Featherly Park (just N of the 91 Fwy) in Anaheim is the location for the F100 Western Nationals Truck Show. See the FTE SoCal Chapter forum for further details.

punchy1 05-28-2012 05:18 PM

Thanks alot ND. Just seems like an odd way to set up a switch. probably why they dont do them like that any more. mine's out though, because i wired straight and lights came on (well one did. ive got a wiring issue to the other). anyway, i'm going to order that switch right away. it's fairly inexpensive, but the mainstream parts stores around here dont seem to carry them. i'm sure i will find that to be the case with many parts for this truck. Also, my truck seems to have 2 master cylinders, but seems one has nothing hooked to it. i'm going to investigate this as well. thanks to all for the help.

NumberDummy 05-28-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by punchy1 (Post 11886385)
Thanks alot ND. Just seems like an odd way to set up a switch. probably why they dont do them like that any more. mine's out though, because i wired straight and lights came on (well one did. ive got a wiring issue to the other). anyway, i'm going to order that switch right away. it's fairly inexpensive, but the mainstream parts stores around here dont seem to carry them. i'm sure i will find that to be the case with many parts for this truck.

Also, my truck seems to have 2 master cylinders, but seems one has nothing hooked to it.
There's something threaded on to the nota brake master cylinder, look close for a steel line.

1957/60 F100/1100: Your truck has a hydraulic clutch, so not only does it have a brake master cylinder, but a clutch master cylinder and a clutch slave cylinder as well.

These two cylinders are connected to each other by a steel line that routes from the front of the master. The clutch master is on the firewall, the slave cylinder underneath by the clutch linkage.

I know that Engler Brothers Auto Parts on Pico Blvd. in Santa Monica will have the switch, but it may be too far for you to drive there to get it.

Plus you may have to drive on the world's longest parking lot, the lovely (NOT!) 405 freeway. Try a local indie autoparts store or NAPA. The switch was used for over 20 years on myriad vehicles.

Ask for the switch for a 1965 or 1966 Mustang, it's the same puppy.

punchy1 05-28-2012 07:26 PM

That would make sense why one is not hooked up, because my truck had been changed to automatic transmission some time back. I will try napa for that part. I'm trying to get some pics up, but site has me boggled:-huh. Havent even figured how to change my profile info. thanks again.