Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   To many different parts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1164571-to-many-different-parts.html)

wolfman52 05-26-2012 08:34 AM

To many different parts

Hi guys
I'm new here but every thing I've owned had a blue oval on it, except now I drive a VW tdi cause I live 30 miles from work. But my problem is last year I bought a '93 f350 dump truck to plow my 450' driveway, haul firewood,and other tasks. So it sits a lot. Now the Starter has gone bad. so i decided to change the oil and all the filters it seems like everything I get from the parts store is wrong. I got three different starters from three different parts stores and none are right the last one I got looked perfect but when I put it in it didn't engage the flywheel so I brought it back and on closer inspection its about a 1/4 inch shorter. I guess what I'm asking is how many different starters do they make for this truck.

farmert 05-26-2012 09:03 AM

Delco is the brand that came from the factory. Mitsubishi makes a starter that looks like the delco, but smaller around. Denso is another company that makes a starter and it looks different from both of the others, but ALL of these interchange. So if you had a Delco brand, the Mitsubishi would bolt on and work. The 6.9 starters will work on the 7.3 IDI bt not the 7.3 Powerstroke. The parts place must be giving you the wrong starters, one for a Stroke maybe? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-...fcb41e&vxp=mtr This is the Mitsubishi. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Powermas...5d0cb3&vxp=mtr This is the Denso.

The_Josh_Bear 05-26-2012 09:42 AM

X2 what he said. ^^^

I think the Powerstroke came out in 94(but maybe 93?), and most parts stores won't know the difference between a 7.3 Powerstroke and 7.3 IDI.

So in the future just tell them it's a 92??? It might help.

Also, GET THE DENSO. They are built much better, spin the engine faster, and last longer. Still fits, too, even though the dimensions are very different. I've done both the Mitsubishi and the Denso.

Happy fixing,
Joshua

wolfman52 05-26-2012 12:00 PM

It does seem like every time i buy something for it i have to return it and try again. The starter that came out was a reman. I got a reman from NAPA looked perfect but it wouldn't engage the flywheel. Just a 1/4 inch too short.

hookedondiesel 05-27-2012 06:56 AM

Maybe the engine was changed.
Are you sure it's the original.

wolfman52 05-27-2012 07:18 AM

Not sure but NAPA will rebuild my starter so that should solve my problem.

IDI guy 05-27-2012 03:35 PM

napa has a lifetime waranty too so save your recipt.... youll need it.

IDI guy 05-27-2012 03:39 PM

I have all napa starters on mine when they start to slow down I'll just bring em' back and get a new one.

IDI guy 05-27-2012 03:40 PM

Also all the napa ones, I think, are rebuilds anyway

fellro86 05-27-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by farmert (Post 11879114)
Delco is the brand that came from the factory. Mitsubishi makes a starter that looks like the delco, but smaller around. Denso is another company that makes a starter and it looks different from both of the others, but ALL of these interchange. So if you had a Delco brand, the Mitsubishi would bolt on and work. The 6.9 starters will work on the 7.3 IDI bt not the 7.3 Powerstroke. The parts place must be giving you the wrong starters, one for a Stroke maybe? NEW STARTER FORD TRUCK VAN DIESEL 6.9 7.3 F250 F350 | eBay This is the Mitsubishi. New Powermaster Starter Ford Diesel PM9050 83-94 6.9-7.3 denso | eBay This is the Denso.

Delco starters were direct drive, and only used for 83-4. 85 saw the Mitsubishi gear reduction drive starter, which was a drastic improvement over the direct drive Delco. The Densos are the best one, but can be a trick to find. The Mitsu starter does well though. Minor battery cable modification is needed to put a Mitsu or Denso where a Delco was, the hole size is too small. Quite often the starters are not indicated by brand, but what they fit. You can have either a Mitsu or Denso starter with the same reman part number.

The Powerstroke motors were first introduced in 94.5.

farmert 05-27-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by fellro86 (Post 11882824)
Delco starters were direct drive, and only used for 83-4. 85 saw the Mitsubishi gear reduction drive starter, which was a drastic improvement over the direct drive Delco. The Densos are the best one, but can be a trick to find. The Mitsu starter does well though. Minor battery cable modification is needed to put a Mitsu or Denso where a Delco was, the hole size is too small. Quite often the starters are not indicated by brand, but what they fit. You can have either a Mitsu or Denso starter with the same reman part number.

The Powerstroke motors were first introduced in 94.5.

My 90 had a Delco on it when I got it, but it had 70K on it so it might have been replaced. I put a Mitsu on it when it needed changing, and it needed no wire mods to bolt up.

fellro86 05-27-2012 05:16 PM

It should have originally come out with the Mitsu. As such, the bolt size would have been proper. The Delcos tend to be cheaper due to the lack of gear reduction.

Every one I look up in parts listings indicate the Mitsu was the factory install. There is a reason the Delco version was discontinued. Every 85 and newer I have worked on had the Mitsu or Denso starter.

Ford_Six 05-28-2012 12:11 AM

I think this reinforces the option to get your existing starter rebuilt. Go support your local automotive electrical shop, it's usually cheaper too. I was about to spend $180 on a rebuilt, but took mine to a rebuilder and was all set for $78. Mass rebuilders do common component testing, and usually some random sample testing on the completed rebuilds leaving. There's their cost and profit, the retailer's warehousing and profit, and regardless of warranty no guarantee it'll actually work.
Local rebuilders have a reputation to uphold, and usually test everything. They also have no transportation or warehousing costs, no bad core overhead, and generally get you taken care of within a few days. You only pay for parts that are replace too.

wolfman52 06-09-2012 10:37 AM

Well napa finally found me the right starter they said it was from a '94 E350. I don' see why an E350 would be any different than an F350. As for the year maybe I have a late year '93 or maybe the motor was changed but it shows no evidence of that. Oh well at least now it makes noise out of the exhaust.

dyoungen 10-22-2013 10:23 AM

I just bought a rem starter from NAPA. I asked if they still have the lifetime warrenty and the guy said NO. The rem cost $169 and the brand new cost $196. The reman has a 3 year warrenty and the new starter has a 2 year warrenty.