Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   shuts off (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1163316-shuts-off.html)

Jskinner125 05-20-2012 05:05 PM

shuts off

I have 2002 with the 7.3 PSD, i fueled up thursday at the same place I always do. Friday afternoon I was leaving a parking lot when i went around the corner the truck just shut off. I tried restarting it several times but no luck. after about 45 mins. it started right up and idled good. Got about 1-1/2 miles down the road and it did the same thing. i towed it home and replaced the cps and drove it around a couple of miles. as soon as i pulled up to my house it shut off again. and would not start. It is not showing any codes. if i let it sit for a while it will start back up again. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

powerstroke72 05-21-2012 08:01 AM

Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.

just another truck 05-24-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jskinner125 (Post 11856622)
I have 2002 with the 7.3 PSD, i fueled up thursday at the same place I always do. Friday afternoon I was leaving a parking lot when i went around the corner the truck just shut off. I tried restarting it several times but no luck. after about 45 mins. it started right up and idled good. Got about 1-1/2 miles down the road and it did the same thing. i towed it home and replaced the cps and drove it around a couple of miles. as soon as i pulled up to my house it shut off again. and would not start. It is not showing any codes. if i let it sit for a while it will start back up again. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I would try the CPS, again..

Brother Les 05-24-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jskinner125 (Post 11856622)

What did you use to check the codes? a standard OBDII will not work on these trucks.
Is it raining or very wet when this happened?

woodnthings 05-24-2012 02:57 PM

Disconnect the ICP sensor and see if it does the same thing.

As Les pointed out, you need to pull codes with something other than a generic OBD II reader. AE with Ford Package works.

If it still does it with the ICP sensor unplugged, I would look towards an IPR. I would pay to have codes pulled first though. An IPR is about $200

Jmatthews 05-24-2012 07:29 PM

Was the cps you tried a new one?

zx250 05-24-2012 07:59 PM

More important, is the replacement CPS a ford or IH one or one of the POC that parts stores sell?

Bonanza35 05-25-2012 12:02 AM

Also check the wires on the IPR. Sometime they ware thur and short out. It cuts the HPO out and won't run the injectors. Just a thought.

Chet

Jskinner125 05-25-2012 06:27 PM

shutts off

Hey guys just an update, it is a cps from a parts store, not from ford. It ran fine all week until Wednesday night I was driving it and it shut off again. It gives no warning just shuts off as if you turned the key off. When you try to restart it will not start, it acts like it's not getting fuel. If you let it sit for about 45 mins or so it will start right back up and idles perfect and runs good. I don't think it's a fuel problem b/c it never runs ruff or anything. it runs perfect until it shuts off. I drive 60 miles per day for work so that was around 200 miles or so that I drove before it cut off on Wednesday. I have it at a local shop right now but they can't seem to find the problem either. What is the "IRP"? I really appreciate ya'll taking the time to try and help me.

woodnthings 05-25-2012 07:01 PM

The IPR is the Injection Pressure Regulator. It is the regulator that controls the high pressure oil to the heads and injectors.

You may want to get a $20 CPS from Ford. They are less likely to have issues than the part store ones. You may also have a wire issue. Wires often chafe and can cause intermittent issues. Look closely at the harness connector at the valve cover area on the drivers side.