Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Folding Mirror Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1163026-folding-mirror-question.html)

jpollesc 05-19-2012 07:21 AM

Folding Mirror Question

Has anyone had issues with their mirrors folding in? One of mine makes a popping sound and will not fold in or out. I can hear the motor running, sounds like a gear is out of alignment. Have tried to reposition manually with no luck. Is there a rebuild kit for the internals or will I need the entire mirror assembly?

Thanks.

sdetweil 05-19-2012 07:23 AM

you mean the glass, not the mirror head.. ?

the arm is designed for mechanical release, so if it gets hit by something, caught on something you can fold/unfold it manually.

I haven't seen any reports of the glass not moving..
no reports of replacement parts smaller than the whole arm & head.

sam

SavageNFS 05-19-2012 07:26 AM

I think he means the entire mirror power folding into the side of the truck.

Is your truck out of warranty? If it isn't out of warranty, then talk to the Parts Dept at the local Ford dealership. They might be able to hook you up. Please post your findings though as my folding mirrors get used daily. I'm waiting for the day when mine start giving me grief. My truck won't fit into the garage unless I fold the mirrors in.

jpollesc 05-19-2012 07:31 AM

Yes, the function that swings the entire mirror head in towards the windows to prevent contact at the bank drive thru. Functions by pulling back on the small stalk that adjusts the position of the mirror glass.

Tuxedo Scorpion 05-19-2012 07:59 AM

in my 08 6.4 there was a time when a passing truck and i had a quick handshake of mirrors. not only did my mirror fold back but the glass popped out and was hanging. i thought for sure i just bought a new assembly. got home. cooled off. then re installed the glass without any difficulty or issue. then pushed the mirror back into position. i noticed it didnt feel the same, as if it didnt lock into place. then when driving (especially at high speed, it would start folding back due to the air load. i read up on it in my manual and found out there is a cam system and that activating the power fold function several times would re align the cam itself. sure enough, after a few power fold cycles, back to normal.

hope that helps.

farmerdave 05-19-2012 08:04 AM

My power fold mirror on the drivers side stopped working for a day and then magically started working the next day. Maybe a bug or piece of mud jammed the mechanism.

Tuxedo Scorpion 05-19-2012 08:14 AM

oh one more thing they also have an auto disable feature, if they are activated too many times in too short of a period, they disable so they dont overheat.

jermort 05-19-2012 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion (Post 11852664)
in my 08 6.4 there was a time when a passing truck and i had a quick handshake of mirrors. not only did my mirror fold back but the glass popped out and was hanging. i thought for sure i just bought a new assembly. got home. cooled off. then re installed the glass without any difficulty or issue. then pushed the mirror back into position. i noticed it didnt feel the same, as if it didnt lock into place. then when driving (especially at high speed, it would start folding back due to the air load. i read up on it in my manual and found out there is a cam system and that activating the power fold function several times would re align the cam itself. sure enough, after a few power fold cycles, back to normal.

hope that helps.

Same thing happened to me only on the passenger side. Big noise when made contact with the explorer I met up with at a stoplight. Thought I'd sideswiped the whole thing. Mirror folded back, didn't pop the glass. Explorer did not fare as well, had to buy them a new replacement glass. Manually folded the mirror back out and the power fold worked the first time, never a problem.

I am way more careful in those tight left turn lanes now. :-jammin

jammer :cool:

jpollesc 05-20-2012 10:43 PM

Cycling the power fold function 7-8 times and it started working again. It made some rather uncomfortable popping sounds and got stuck several times during the process. Good engineering from Ford that these will relearn the positioning instead of stripping the internal gear mechanism.

Appreciate the advice.

Tuxedo Scorpion 05-20-2012 10:47 PM

The noise was the cam system re aligning itself. Yes its a neat system.

2horses 05-21-2012 10:23 AM

My passenger mirror moves faster, both folding and unfolding, than the driver's side does - anyone else have this?

Docindahouze 05-21-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2horses (Post 11858883)
My passenger mirror moves faster, both folding and unfolding, than the driver's side does - anyone else have this?

yes mine is the same way. passenger side is always faster when folding and unfolding. it's okay though for me as long they work proper.

Tuxedo Scorpion 05-21-2012 10:43 AM

Says in the manual one side may go faster than the other and that is normal.

2horses 05-21-2012 10:57 AM

Well who the heck reads the manual??????

Obviously not me. You are a veritable encyclopedia of manual knowledge, Tux!

Tuxedo Scorpion 05-21-2012 11:17 AM

I love reading manuals..