Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Fan clutch removal? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1162858-fan-clutch-removal.html)

j250hd 05-18-2012 10:20 AM

Fan clutch removal?

All right got the wrench from oriellys but do I need something else? I know its a left hand thread but how do you keep the belt from turning?

Hussler 05-18-2012 10:37 AM

Actually there are two wrenches required, one to hold the pulley and the other to remove the fan. If you only have 1 then try hitting it with a BFH, it should break loose.

BuckHammer 05-18-2012 10:55 AM

Mine had right hand threads. In fact, on the fan shroud, there was a giant sticker indicating that fact. I took a 1-7/8" wrench and used a grinder to make it narrow enough to fit in there. Then, I clamped a pair of vise grips onto the lip of the water pump pulley to hold it in place.

j250hd 05-18-2012 11:02 AM

Where does thebsecond wrench go?

redman84 05-18-2012 11:13 AM

onto the bolts that hold the pulley on.

Hussler 05-18-2012 01:05 PM

I pretty sure it's left hand thread as viewed standing in front of the truck. Right hand thread if sitting in the cab. But it's been a few years ... :-X16

ReBilld 05-18-2012 02:32 PM

It's right hand thread (standard thread ) "Left hand thread" means you turn it to the left (counter clockwise) to tighten. But it is just regular thread, lefty loosy, righty tighty.

j250hd 05-18-2012 02:39 PM

Got it off! Just didn't realize that I had the tool to put on the pulley bolts too. It was sloppy and I was afraid of stripping out the bolts but I guess that's how most of them are???? Anyways thanks for the help! My sticker is non-existent, but it is RHT.

BuckHammer 05-18-2012 03:18 PM

The "handedness" of threads will not change based on the direction from which you view them.

Screw thread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RÖENTGEEP 05-18-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BuckHammer (Post 11850181)
The "handedness" of threads will not change based on the direction from which you view them.

Screw thread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Totally agree with that and you are RIGHT, BUT if you look the NUT standing in front of the truck it will turn counter clock wise and if you are sitting in the cab, the NUT turns clock wise, when it is loosening (spl?). :-X04

:-drink

BuckHammer 05-18-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP (Post 11851267)
Totally agree with that and you are RIGHT, BUT if you look the NUT standing in front of the truck it will turn counter clock wise and if you are sitting in the cab, the NUT turns clock wise, when it is loosening (spl?). :-X04

:-drink

Right. Stick your right arm out with your thumb pointing towards yourself and your hand partially opened. When you rotate whatever fastener you happen to be working with the way your fingers are pointed, it will advance in the direction your thumb is pointed. If you turn your hand around, you will be rotating the opposite way, but the fastener will also be advancing the opposite way. That's what makes a "Right Hand" thread.

A "Left Hand" thread works the same way, except with your left hand. That's the whole purpose behind throwing the word "Hand" into the description of the thread type.

If you know whether the fastener in question utilizes right hand or left hand threads, all you have to do is use that hand and point its thumb in the direction you want the fastener to advance along the threads, and your fingers on that hand will point you out the way to turn the fastener.

:-X22

Edit: It's like the "Right Hand Rule" for angular momentum, for anybody who has studied college physics.