Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F250 vs F350 for Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1161725-f250-vs-f350-for-towing.html)

Master SGT D 05-13-2012 10:36 AM

F250 vs F350 for Towing

Okay guys I am new to this site and I am looking for some advice on picking the right Super Duty truck. I am looking for a daily driving truck, but it also will need to be able to tow a 35-40 ft 5th wheeler, weighing about 13,500.

So far I have driven a 2011 F350 Lariet with the 6.7 PSD, the 2012 F250 Lariet Plus with the 6.7 PSD, and a 2010 F250 King Ranch with the 6.4 PSD.

After driving all 3 of these trucks, the King Ranch drove the best and was the most comfortable IMO. The power difference could be felt though between the 6.4 and the 6.7 PSDs. So I would like some feedback from all of you who have these trucks and have experience towing 5th wheelers, which one of these trucks would work best for my situation.

bunklash 05-13-2012 12:57 PM

In order to make a good decision, advice is nice, but knowledge is power. When I was in your position, i was lucky enough to have discovered this forum and this one: RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information

Luckily, I was in no hurry so spent about 2 years of research using these forums, and manufacturers sites. I learned SOOO much, I felt absolutely confident of my decisions, and have no regrets.

As for my humble opinion, given the choice I would definitely go for the 6.7 over the 6.4. With the size 5'er your'e looking at, 350 at least. Duelly would be better. A lot depends on how you plan to use your RV.

One last note: Be real careful about 5th wheel manufacturer's stated weights. Some of them give the weight of the unit before options are added. Fuel, LP gas, holding tanks, water, firewood, etc. etc. really add up. And you'd be amazed at how much weight is added over time by stuff you throw into the rig.

Do your research and good luck!

dualwheels66 05-13-2012 04:07 PM

I would agree with bunklash, a F350 at least but a F350 dually would be better. I realize this is your daily driver and you might want a SRW truck but the dually can't be beat when towing a heavy, long trailer. I personally have never had any issues driving my dually around the city, going to the mall, just something that never bothered me.

Master SGT D 05-13-2012 04:13 PM

Bunklash

Thanks for the advice, that is some good info. The plan is I have 3 years left before I retire from the Army. We know we want to get a four season 5th wheeler to live in for some time since we are always moving. It's time to downsize since it will just be the wife,myself and a little dog.

We looked at a Mesa Ridge by Open Range MF357RES that we really liked and believe would be Comfortable enough to live in while we move around for work.

GVWR: 12635
UVW: 9485
Hitch WT: 2235
Axle WT: 7250
Gross NCC- don't know what this is.

So we have some time to do research and find the right one, but our plan is to get the right size truck now and start paying that off before we buy the 5th wheel, so it's important we get the right truck. We will not be towing all the time just more sporadic due to working at different locations.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

RV_Tech 05-13-2012 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Master SGT D (Post 11827468)
Thanks for the advice, that is some good info. The plan is I have 3 years left before I retire from the Army. We know we want to get a four season 5th wheeler to live in for some time since we are always moving. It's time to downsize since it will just be the wife,myself and a little dog.

We looked at a Mesa Ridge by Open Range MF357RES that we really liked and believe would be Comfortable enough to live in while we move around for work.

GVWR: 12635
UVW: 9485
Hitch WT: 2235
Axle WT: 7250
Gross NCC- don't know what this is.

So we have some time to do research and find the right one, but our plan is to get the right size truck now and start paying that off before we buy the 5th wheel, so it's important we get the right truck. We will not be towing all the time just more sporadic due to working at different locations.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Your plan on taking your time is ideal, especially since it sounds like this is something you have not done before. Be especially carefully when choosing an RV. Appearance is nice, but construction is all important.

Here's one of many links explaining weights and NCC http://www.poliseek.com/proper-rv-lo...-weight-safety .

Steve

Tylus 05-13-2012 05:07 PM

Just want to throw out there that a F250 is identical to a F350 in capability

250 has 2" rear block
350 has 4" rear block and is "rated" for more.

flamebuster 05-13-2012 06:25 PM

I pull an Everest 364Q. It weighs in at 13,260lbs loaded to travel except water..My F-350 srw. pulls it just fine, but I am over the mfg. recommended wt. ratings. But I fit under the tire wt. limits... A dually would be much better for those wanting peace of mind..My garage was a limiting factor for a drw, thus the srw. And a drw is 2 more tires to buy.I believe the 2011/2012 F-350's have a higher gvw. rating and a stronger engine braking system...
But if I upgrade to a Mobile Suites or a Nuway Hitchhiker ( our dream rigs).. I think I am going to have to go dually and maybe even a F-450..So was my choice a smart one, maybe not..
Plus as you search rv net. you will see more states are starting to get serious on wts.and licenses for the rv public..So it might be best to shoot for all legal ratings..jmho..
And thanks for your time serving..You guys sacrafice a lot for a little pay....

Master SGT D 05-13-2012 09:00 PM

Flamebuster,

Thanks for the reply. Where is Mattawa located near? I am from the Seattle area so I am curious since I have not heard of that town.

So I will have to continue doing research and go test drive some more F350's to see if I like that enough for a daily driver. Or we may have to start looking at smaller four season RV's so I can maybe get by with a F250 if we decide to go that route.

flamebuster 05-13-2012 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Master SGT D (Post 11828516)
Flamebuster,

Thanks for the reply. Where is Mattawa located near? I am from the Seattle area so I am curious since I have not heard of that town.

So I will have to continue doing research and go test drive some more F350's to see if I like that enough for a daily driver. Or we may have to start looking at smaller four season RV's so I can maybe get by with a F250 if we decide to go that route.

From Seattle travel east on I-90. After you cross the Columbia river at Vantage you go south 18 miles to Mattawa.. My wife grew up in Seattle.. Still love the Puget Sound but there is a lot of people living over there now....:-X18

redford 05-13-2012 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 11827585)
Just want to throw out there that a F250 is identical to a F350 in capability

250 has 2" rear block
350 has 4" rear block and is "rated" for more.

No, the F-350 is not "rated" for more. That's a myth.

In past years, the F-250 and the F-350 SRW have the same towing rating, given matching power trains. The F-350 could haul more weight in the bed, but had no extra towing capacity. In the towing charts, they did not even differentiate between an F-250 and an F-350 SRW. See https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp17Aug06.pdf as an example.

In the current generation, an F-250 can actually have a little better towing rating versus an otherwise identical F-350. As an example, check out https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...FLRVTT_gde.pdf A 2012 F-250 Super Cab 4x4 with the 6.2L and 3.73 gears is rated to tow 12,200 pounds. An otherwise identical F-350 SRW is rated to tow 12,100 pounds.

The bottom line, do a Google search and find out the towing rating for each year and model you're looking at. Don't assume an F-350 is a better vehicle for your needs. Research it and make your own decision.

Tylus 05-13-2012 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by redford (Post 11828986)
No, the F-350 is not "rated" for more. That's a myth.

In past years, the F-250 and the F-350 SRW have the same towing rating, given matching power trains. The F-350 could haul more weight in the bed, but had no extra towing capacity. In the towing charts, they did not even differentiate between an F-250 and an F-350 SRW. See https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp17Aug06.pdf as an example.

In the current generation, an F-250 can actually have a little better towing rating versus an otherwise identical F-350. As an example, check out https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...FLRVTT_gde.pdf A 2012 F-250 Super Cab 4x4 with the 6.2L and 3.73 gears is rated to tow 12,200 pounds. An otherwise identical F-350 SRW is rated to tow 12,100 pounds.

The bottom line, do a Google search and find out the towing rating for each year and model you're looking at. Don't assume an F-350 is a better vehicle for your needs. Research it and make your own decision.

So, a F350 can carry more weight in bed than a F250. That sounds like a "rating" to me

I agree with you 100% everywhere else:-drink

Kajtek1 05-13-2012 10:52 PM

For the starters -try to realize that there is nothing free in this World.
All commercial forums make money on advertising something and always have their agendas. Meaning the expected honesty level can not be higher than the fees you paid to join.
To add more difficulty - just comparing vehicles mechanically is only part of the story. Technically the best for the job would be F450, but that truck puts you in commercial requirements (big fees) in at least most of the states, so even if you can afford the truck, can you afford $3000 or so annual fees?
Lot of states makes any 1-ton truck a commercial vehicle and now, when state after state goes broke -they will seek new revenue harder and harder.
Bottom line >> the lucky guys took 2 years to figure it out.
.... or so they think

ruschejj 05-14-2012 05:59 AM

The weights and stuff can be debated forever.

My thing is this, a 250 has a 10,000 pound GVWR. A 350SRW has a 11,500 pound GVWR. If you get a 250 you will have more than 5 tons of weight on the four truck wheels when your trailer is hooked up and sitting on the scale. You will be close with the 350 but within spec.

You may never get caught, but I will never buy another 250 for this reason. Next truck will be a 350SRW.

Lubbockguy1979 05-14-2012 12:35 PM

Like other said watch your weight. A properly equiped gas truck may have a higher rating on paper and keep it legal vs a heavily loaded lariat or king ranch truck with drw. You need to see what you can get away with and not be a easy money ticket for the dot enforcers. To get the ideal set up you may either have to get a lighter trailer or a larger truck. Just pay attention to all the add ons as they add up like trim levels and drw which take away from towing capacity on paper and put you out of the non dot weight limit

Lubbockguy1979 05-14-2012 12:36 PM

Btw these trucks can far exceed the ratings and what is legal. But we are not endorsing it