Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   aluminum flat bed on old iron. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1161680-aluminum-flat-bed-on-old-iron.html)

wyoming4x4 05-13-2012 01:15 AM

aluminum flat bed on old iron.

will be picking up me a aluminum flat bed for my 1970 ford crew 4x4. should look pretty cool. never seen a alum flat bed on old iron before. trying to keep the weight down. won't rust is nice also. if any photo's show them please. curious to see some options on setups. keeping old iron alive one ford at a time.:-X22

jwtimme 05-13-2012 10:56 AM

That would look good IMO, post some pics up then you get the two mated up, I have been looking for a dual tire truck to put a flat bed on, the newer aluminum beds are so much nicer than the old ones.

crazed87bronco 05-14-2012 01:55 PM

i second the pics hows the crew coming along anyways?

willowbilly3 05-14-2012 05:53 PM

Personally I like the stock bed better. Shortbed flatbeds always seem to look out of balance somehow. Actually anything that doesn't have duals looks out of place to me with a flatbed. that's just me.

VocaTexas 05-14-2012 05:57 PM

I've got a nearly perfect bumpside short bed for sale in the classified section if you are interested. Not sure how to get it to Wyoming, though. Price is negotiable.

crazed87bronco 05-14-2012 07:40 PM

Why are all the decent beds for sale so far away from PA I'm in need of one for my truck or ill be putting a flat bed on mine

wyoming4x4 05-15-2012 10:04 PM

well i now own a flat bed!

the bed sits on truck and looks nice. will have to shorten the bed a little for my custom application and will have some photos at end of month. will be taking vacation for this mod to get set correctly. this bed doesn't hang out to far on sides like a normal OEM bed of today. the price was good and now shipping cost to get it to me. I have aluminum welder and shorten to get the correct stance i want. the rims match the look and will have to work on the front bumper. will be sending my headers off to jet hot to get coated with the ceramic look whic matches my bed and rims. sorry no pics and will work on this as soon as i get home. been on the road a lot lately workin makin some bank for toys$$$:-X22

wyoming4x4 05-18-2012 10:36 AM

thanks for droppin in. different application.

Originally Posted by VocaTexas (Post 11831957)
I've got a nearly perfect bumpside short bed for sale in the classified section if you are interested. Not sure how to get it to Wyoming, though. Price is negotiable.

thought about OEM bed but will be workin this truck a little and have gooseneck hitch. flatbed alum will be easeir to maintain and not worry about scatching. plus a lighter truck overall. trying to get truck around 5500lbs or less.:-wink

wyoming4x4 05-25-2012 10:50 PM

got some stuff done.

got bed shortened. 6' 2" bed now. also having a aluminum fuel tank built, about 45 gallons. I'm not a good aluminum welder and gonna leave this one to the experts. will be done next week. gonna work fenders and hood this weekend, autofab fiberglass off road race stuff. got a few photos of truck in my albums. :-wink

wyoming4x4 06-21-2012 07:33 PM

more parts going on truck, yeah.

got more parts going on truck. hydroboost brakes master cylinder. f-150 steering box. headers mounted on engine and installed. steering box next and fab up. clutch is in centerforce dual friction. and many photos in my albums in aluminum flat bed photos. will have more by weekend. pick up fuel tank tommorrow. got to hurry because heading out of town for big job next couple of weeks.:-drink

wyoming4x4 10-19-2013 12:16 AM

Got some new photos of truck.

got the electrical finally working. truck is coming together. work has kept me away from home too much the past 2 yrs. truck should of been done. Next trip home will be getting engine running. She cranks but engine needs a few things still. north dakota is a busy place!

wyoming4x4 10-19-2013 12:20 AM

photos in my albums.

sandblasting before, and after albums.:-X22