Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Powermax...... No more Howling!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1161222-powermax-no-more-howling.html)

amdriven2liv 05-10-2012 07:52 PM

Powermax...... No more Howling!!

Powermax in.

All back together. Took it for a little drive.

First, smoking some. I'm thinking it is burning off new oils and stuff from manufacturing . I see zero oil coming from either place, feed line or the drain tube.

Now, when I had it out on the street, I laid into a little bit. Like 5.5 lbs. of boost.

It howls like a train horn, I let off and it stops. Lite throttle and it doesn't do it.

Could I have not gotten the up pipe totally connected right? It sure looked good from my angle.

Any thoughts folks? :-huh

04Muscle350 05-10-2012 08:28 PM

Check your up pipe for any soot at the connection. I would lean towards a possible leak there. See if you can feel any air while idling or hear any sign of a leak. How far did you drive it?

amdriven2liv 05-10-2012 08:38 PM

maybe a couple miles. Basically, around the block.

04Muscle350 05-10-2012 08:46 PM

Look for a leak at the uppipe and feel for air. If you can't find any evidence there then try driving it a little further and see if it needs to relearn.

amdriven2liv 05-10-2012 08:49 PM

Yeah, I am going to stop by Harbor Freight in the morning and grab a ratchet strap, and see if I can't get it any closer. Man, I sure thought it was right where I needed it. But, I'll see if I can do a better job.

Thanks for your input.

04Muscle350 05-10-2012 08:57 PM

I was fortunate enough to seat my 03 turbo first time when installing and didn't have any leaks etc. I also put on a new exhaust at the same time so the downpipe was more flexible cause it would pivot and stuff easier. Lol

wulfman 05-10-2012 09:10 PM

Driven they can look real close but if its not perfect it will leak. I wouldn't use a ratchet strap just lousen the up pipe bolts and it will pop right in most the time. Hell i wish that was my only problem.

BLADE35 05-10-2012 09:12 PM

When you said Howel I thought you ment at rear exhaust pipe

so the howel is coming from the engine Bay???

If so then probably Ypipe to turbo connection

That turbo can be a PIA

I set turbo in the Pedistall and the Ypipe is the very first thing I hook up

I set it in pedistall then Eyeball the Joint and found to make a perfict reveal around the joint I had to push the Ypipe towards the firewall. So then I smeared antiseize on the Marmon clamp flanges and Installed the Marmon clamp Loosely on the Joint. I then setup my air ratchet on the clamp bolt and Gave it the same push (what it took to make the reveal even when I had the clamp off) toward the Firewall as I Sucked clamp tight with air ratchet and worked like a Dream. once you get that your Golden

uofmgriz 05-10-2012 09:15 PM

worst case scenario...a little dawn and water in a spray bottle will work wonders...shoot it and look for the bubbles...works wonders for finding air leaks...and may do a little cleaning too!

cay5628 05-11-2012 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by BLADE35 (Post 11818417)
When you said Howel I thought you ment at rear exhaust pipe

so the howel is coming from the engine Bay???

If so then probably Ypipe to turbo connection

That turbo can be a PIA

I set turbo in the Pedistall and the Ypipe is the very first thing I hook up

I set it in pedistall then Eyeball the Joint and found to make a perfict reveal around the joint I had to push the Ypipe towards the firewall. So then I smeared antiseize on the Marmon clamp flanges and Installed the Marmon clamp Loosely on the Joint. I then setup my air ratchet on the clamp bolt and Gave it the same push (what it took to make the reveal even when I had the clamp off) toward the Firewall as I Sucked clamp tight with air ratchet and worked like a Dream. once you get that your Golden

I second that, I was chuckling about the howl when I first read it, I too thought the really cool, screaming banshee man this thing is wicked a$$ fast kind of howl; :-X06 not the leaking air kind of howl that sucks the life out of you after all that work kind of noise.... :-X18 Sorry to hear it is not meant to be yet. Best of luck getting it seated properly.

-Mark

amdriven2liv 05-11-2012 02:11 PM

Well, here I was so concerned about the up pipe getting on right, that I didn't pay enough attention to the down pipe connection!

The down pipe was the culprit. No more howling.

But, she does whistle more. Nice having Her back on Her feet!

Thanks you guys!

Oh, I had purchased some smoke bombs on sale a few years ago (after the 4th of July) just for this very thing. Dropped one in my shop vac. Worked well until the dang wind shifted and filled the front of the truck with smoke!!!! Well, it was a good idea any way!

amdriven2liv 05-11-2012 02:12 PM

And , no , there isn't a video called "the red neck way to test for leaks" Sorry.

cay5628 05-11-2012 02:24 PM

Sweet! Glad you are rolling again. when you get some break in time done, tell us how that Powermax does.