Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum51/)
-   -   interchange (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1160808-interchange.html)

xoloski 05-09-2012 04:32 AM

interchange

HI,
I know my engine is a 330 FT, although this forum doesn't list that CID, does anyone know of a comprehensive parts interchange between the FE and FT engines?
Thanks,

Steve
1973 F600 330 HD

FFR428 05-09-2012 09:57 AM

Pretty much everything FE (besides some 427 apps) will fit and work on a 330 based engine. Blocks are the same basic design but heads and intake from the FT cannot be mixed and matched with FE counterparts. What exactly are you looking to do? Some details and we can better answer your questions.

xoloski 05-09-2012 11:32 AM

I'm likely going to have to pull the engine / trans to repair the trans from walking out of 4th gear. I think it is easier to pull the front clip and the engine / trans as an assembly.

While the engine is out, I thought I should reseal it by changing the oil pan gasket, rear and front seals, valve cover gaskets, carb gasket, water pump / thermostat gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and perhaps intake if it looks bad.

I'll pull the distributor and clean / inspect / rebuild as required.
I'll inspect the soft plugs and replace as required.
I may get froggy and consider changing rod and main bearings while I am in there.
I'll check oil pressure and compression before I do any of this.
Once I've tested, I may decide to only pressure wash and replace cover / pan gaskets.
The engine seems to run good, it is just real dirty and greasy.

critterf1 05-10-2012 06:54 AM

"Real dirty and greasy", typical of any "FT"/"FE" engine.

krewat 05-10-2012 08:43 AM

If it's the "MD" 330, whenever I did work on my 390 or 360s, the Felpro gasket sets usually listed the 330 on them, so basically everything is the same. They did have a second set of exhaust gaskets just for the 330, and there might have been one or two other extras.

Check this set out: Fel Pro KS2307 Fel-Pro Gasket Sets

Notice the two sets of exhaust gaskets, and that the one set has smaller ports? That's the 330MD exhaust gaskets. Not exhaust crossover. I believe the 330HD exhaust has the exhaust crossover in it like the rest of the FT family of engines.

Also notice the two different timing cover gaskets.

The best thing to do is check with your local auto parts store - NAPA is a gold-mine for this stuff usually.

xoloski 05-10-2012 09:50 AM

Thanks for the information,
Mine F600 has the HD engine.

From what I can tell only a few of the parts from the FE engine will fit.
My local parts stores; Autozone, Pep Boys, Checker Auto, typically go by vehicle application and can not locate F600 in their databases. F350 is as big as they go.

I guell I'll have to try NAPA, or Merle's.
I just hate to pay the extra mark-up at the NAPA distributorship.

krewat 05-10-2012 10:05 AM

The NAPA near me has a card they hand out to "special" people like me, and it gives me 10 or 15% off (almost?) everything.

They also do business with mechanics in the area, and sell at "jobber" or other rates that are discounted from the usual "walk in the door" price. Maybe you can open up with that and see what NAPA can do...

Rogue_Wulff 05-10-2012 11:23 AM

Yes, unfortunately the chain stores tend to hire people without any previous experience in the parts trade, and only teach them how to use the computer to look stuff up. Finding someone in there that knows how to look things up in the paper catalog is rather difficult. If there is anyone there that does know how to use the paper catalog, they're typically hidden in the back, dealing mainly with local shops. Asking to speak to the commercial sale person can typically get you somewhere when dealing with this type of vehicle.