Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Power fold in mirrors? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1160410-power-fold-in-mirrors.html)

Byron W 05-07-2012 02:04 PM

Power fold in mirrors?

Hi All,

Can they or has anyone installed power fold in mirrors on a 2012 FX4? My truck does have power mirrors but not the fold in option.

Thanks, Byron

kmonty2 05-08-2012 02:42 PM

I think the power fold are only available on the Super Duty's. You may be able to do a mirror swap but that will be very costly. A SD power fold mirror is around $600 then you have to add the wiring and the switch.

Bogeyfree31 05-08-2012 04:14 PM

My '12 F150 Lariat has power fold in mirrors.

kmonty2 05-08-2012 04:36 PM

Must be new for 2012. That is. Great feature too.

Tylus 05-09-2012 01:54 AM

it's an expensive...and IMO useless feature. I had it for 3yrs on my Expedition and I can count on 1 hand the # of times I ever used it.

With the F-150 being as narrow as it is, I can't see a need. I've been thinking about it for my SD though. My truck is over 84" wide at fenders alone and my tow mirrors are really out there at times in parking spaces

but to answer the OP's question. Yes, you can install power fold mirrors into your non-power fold equipped truck. It's just a matter of bolting the new ones in place and then installing the power fold switch and wiring. It's been done lots by the SD crowd. Check out their threads and adapt it to your F-150. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hasn't already beat you to it and has posted a DIY thread about it

Bogeyfree31 05-09-2012 07:26 AM

I have to make 2 bank runs a week and always fold my mirrors when going through the drive thru.

Also fold them when going through a car wash.

It's convenient not having to get out and fold the passenger mirror.

Worth $600 to add them, not sure about that.

Guess it comes with one of the packages now.

jacknbella 05-09-2012 09:00 AM

My 2010 Platinum had power folds and they are, by far, the #1 feature I miss the most on my 2011 XLT. There are just way too many parking lots where the idiots paint the lines too close to one another just tempting folks to park too close. The power fold mirrors made it somewhat better but I still try to park in the boonies to avoid door dings.

Power folds also made it easier to park in the garage, not to mention, drive-up ATM's. My next truck will definitely have them!

My two cents.

thomastl 05-09-2012 09:42 AM

My 2011 F150 Lariat has power fold mirrors. I love them. As stated, bank drive thru, car wash, fast food drive (allows you to get closer to the window without worrying about hitting). I use them all the time. It was part of one of the option packages.

Byron W 05-09-2012 09:49 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. My truck was suppossed to have had them but doesn't. I can buy Ford parts at a great discount and I will look into it.

Thanks again,
Byron W

76gdmn 05-09-2012 05:55 PM

Does it depend on if they are regular or tow mirrors?
I have the tow mirrors and my biggest complaint is that they are not power foldable.
This is one of the minor updates for 2013, power fold tow mirrors.
I mean, mine are power adjustable and heated, so the power is there, why couldn't they have added a button to fold them in like on the super duties?

For the commenter who says the option is useless - with the tow mirrors, I fold the driver side mirror in daily when I am going through a drive through at the bank, lunchtime, parking lot, etc. My #1 complaint is that with all the other buttons and electrical crap this truck has, out of all of it I would use the fold in mirrors more often than I will use a lot of the other stuff.

thomastl 05-09-2012 08:11 PM

Mine are regular. Not the towing mirrors. They have the power fold.

kmonty2 05-09-2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 76gdmn (Post 11813062)
Does it depend on if they are regular or tow mirrors?
I have the tow mirrors and my biggest complaint is that they are not power foldable.
This is one of the minor updates for 2013, power fold tow mirrors.
I mean, mine are power adjustable and heated, so the power is there, why couldn't they have added a button to fold them in like on the super duties?

For the commenter who says the option is useless - with the tow mirrors, I fold the driver side mirror in daily when I am going through a drive through at the bank, lunchtime, parking lot, etc. My #1 complaint is that with all the other buttons and electrical crap this truck has, out of all of it I would use the fold in mirrors more often than I will use a lot of the other stuff.

The power fold mirrors is what made my decision on getting the Ford. The GM did not offer the power fold at the time I ordered my truck. It is a option on the SD though, unless you get a upgraded package. The SD also comes with power telescoping along with the power fold. I use the feature everyday and it is very convenient going through drive thru's and while parking. I also had to use it one time when going through a parking lot with a GM HD truck coming the other way and it was narrow row, I was able to bring in my mirrors while passing. You should have seen his face when I did that, I think he went and bought a Ford. Don't think I would have a truck without at least power fold mirrors again.

Tylus 05-09-2012 10:23 PM

Comparatively speaking, you guys have small trucks. Not being snide or mean, just a fact. I go through all the above mentioned small places daily as well. Never hit a mirror

I want them for parking lots where other a-holes find it funny to fold the mirror backwards, or slightly askew. But I'm a tightwad and spending that kind of $$$...no thanks

To each his own. And reasons. Hope you can get them for a good price. Last I looked they were $400-600 per mirror from Ford. Kool Vue offers them for lots cheaper, but not sure on the quality. You F150 guys might want to check that brand out and see if they have anything

tspangle84 05-10-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 11810503)
With the F-150 being as narrow as it is, I can't see a need. I've been thinking about it for my SD though. My truck is over 84" wide at fenders alone and my tow mirrors are really out there at times in parking spaces

The 150 is only 1" narrower than your Super Duty.

My '11 Lariat has them, as well, and I use them every day when I park it in the garage next to my wife's Taurus X. It's a fairly tight fit in there, and it just gives more room to walk between the vehicles.

PrinceValium 05-10-2012 08:43 PM

i have used the power folding mirrors on my Sequoia quite a few times especially when parking in those tight parking spaces and there is not a lot of room between your vehicle and the one next to you...get two trucks side by side and you would not be able to walk past without ducking under the mirrors.
Also when things are that tight it keeps the person next to you from hitting their mirror on yours.