Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Vibration in floorboard (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1159251-vibration-in-floorboard.html)

Mazellan819 05-02-2012 08:56 AM

Vibration in floorboard

I have a problem with my 01 f250. I feel a vibration/grinding in my floorboard when driving. No vibration when stopped at idle. The frequency of the vibration and grinding does not increase with rpms or speed of the vehicle. There is also a clanking noise that seems to be opposite to the vibration/grinding.

Things that have recently been fixed/replaced:
Transmission has been rebuilt. Front driveline replaced.

Things I have replaced in search of this problem. The front drivers break was dragging causing excess break dust and heat. I replaced caliper pins, caliper bracket, caliper, turned rotors. I also replaced the caliper pins on the passengers side. This seemed to fix the break dragging problems but the grinding/vibration still exists.

Any help is very much appreciated as this problem is driving me crazy!! :-banghead

DemonRace6 05-02-2012 09:01 AM

Subscribing, I am thinking hard, and I can not imagine what would have a consistant vibration without change from rpm or speed. I'm sure someone on here can give you some ideas of things to look at.

DieselCamper01 05-02-2012 09:17 AM

The cheapest thing to check is to make sure the exhaust is not hitting the frame, body, or crossmembers anywhere. Mine was after the tranny was out and put back in.

How are the hub bearings?

Mazellan819 05-02-2012 09:25 AM

About 5 years ago one of the hub packs was replaced but that is not to say that it has not gone bad again. It actually locked up and sized up on the freeway. This weekend I am going to pull them off and inspect them. Not that I will be able to see inside the sealed pack. If I can't find anything else I am just going to replace both hub packs. When we are underneath, I will take a look at the exhaust.

Reckless 05-02-2012 09:54 AM

My guess is it's your hub. If it wears it creates some play and the vibration is the shaft oscillating inside under throttle load. I had it a few years ago. In fact twice (both sides within 6 months). I bought a used set off ebay and it's been fine since...knock on wood.

JOHN2001 05-02-2012 06:50 PM

Its not a hub, it would be NOTHING like your explaining! Have you checked your u-joints? OR have you pulled your drive shaft apart and greased the splines? WOrse case is the carrier bearing but thats a little different than your explaining. I had a similar problem a year or so ago and I fixed it buy greasing the splines on the DS. Do the cheap or free things first, then spend your money if they dont fix the problem! Dont be lazy get out there and grease it the first chance you get, and report back. Good luck

duck fan 05-02-2012 07:00 PM

Check the bushings in the swaybar endlinks. Also check that all the bolts for the swaybar and endlinks are tight.

Shake-N-Bake 05-02-2012 07:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Mazellan819 (Post 11782262)
I have a problem with my 01 f250. I feel a vibration/grinding in my floorboard when driving. No vibration when stopped at idle. The frequency of the vibration and grinding does not increase with rpms or speed of the vehicle. There is also a clanking noise that seems to be opposite to the vibration/grinding. ...

On my trucks, vibrations in the floorboard have almost always been due to worn, broken or missing spring tip isolators.

Clanking noises have usually been worn sway bar end link bushings. If you grab the sway bar and can move it by hand...then your end links are worn.

Mazellan819 05-03-2012 12:01 AM

Swaybar mounts have been replaced at least the ones that have the bars that go from the swaybar to the frame. Not sure how the spring tips could sound like this because it happens regardless of bumps in the road. I have had it greased recently but that is not to say one was missed. There is more grinding sound that vibration and clanking.

cory5517 05-05-2012 07:17 AM

Replaced all four end links and that fixed my floorboard clunking and popping

nomax1955 05-06-2012 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JOHN2001 (Post 11784632)
Its not a hub, it would be NOTHING like your explaining! Have you checked your u-joints? OR have you pulled your drive shaft apart and greased the splines? WOrse case is the carrier bearing but thats a little different than your explaining. I had a similar problem a year or so ago and I fixed it buy greasing the splines on the DS. Do the cheap or free things first, then spend your money if they dont fix the problem! Dont be lazy get out there and grease it the first chance you get, and report back. Good luck

I'm no expert, But Johns right.
I went through this a few weeks ago, Floor was vibrating and so was everything else, Couple repair shops almost got me, Talked to an old buddy of mine who works on these things, First thing he did, Was pull that shaft, Greased it ...and Badda bing, Vibration gone completely. My buddy said the same thing though, Try all the free and cheap stuff first.

Kdr358 05-06-2012 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by JOHN2001 (Post 11784632)

I just took apart my drive-shafts and greased the splines on Saturday, I had a similar vibration after that no more noise! Here is the link I followed https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ip-repair.html

JOHN2001 05-07-2012 12:21 AM

May as well put a grease zurk in there so you don't have to take it apart next time. I somehow striped the splines on my ds and had a new one installed with the grease fitting in it already