Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   5.0L Coyote (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum247/)
-   -   Does the truck Coyote have a front or rear sump oil pan? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1157062-does-the-truck-coyote-have-a-front-or-rear-sump-oil-pan.html)

jade79 04-22-2012 06:09 PM

Does the truck Coyote have a front or rear sump oil pan?

Just wondering, I'm planning a swap in an older truck in the future and trying to work out all the logistics before I go buying or cutting anything. Thanks.

Gary Atsma 04-30-2012 11:27 PM

Here's a tip for ya; go to a dealer and find an F-150 w/ the 5.0L. Then get on your knees, bend down, and LOOK under the front of the truck in question. You will then answer your own question. See how easy that was?

jade79 05-01-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Atsma (Post 11776492)
Here's a tip for ya; go to a dealer and find an F-150 w/ the 5.0L. Then get on your knees, bend down, and LOOK under the front of the truck in question. You will then answer your own question. See how easy that was?

Gary, If you're having a bad day or troubles at home there's no reason to take it out on me. I merely asked a simple question which should not provoke a smartass answer like that. If you're going to respond to threads like that again maybe you should do us a favor and stay off here.

Gary Atsma 05-01-2012 09:53 PM

Sorry if it came off that way. It's just that you are more likely to see the truck in question on the street or car lot before you would get the answer you are looking for here. Notice that a whole week elapsed between your post and mine. And my post was your first response, hence the bit of sarcasm. Something like sump position is something most folks don't concern themselves about unless they're thinking of using the mill in an engine swap, which is why you oughtta just look under a new truck and find out for yourself firsthand. A personal view or picture are worth a gazillion words, plus you would see other locational relationships of components you might be needing to know. I was really trying to help you, but got a little sarcasm in the way. Sorry.

jade79 05-02-2012 06:30 PM

No problem Gary. Out of the few current model F series trucks I've had the opportunity to check out, they either had the 5.4 or Ecoboost V6. I was just figuring someone that changes their own oil would recall and chime in. Thanks.

Gary Atsma 05-02-2012 08:21 PM

Actually, I think that the sump position would be the same no matter which engine, in order to clear the front suspension crossmember. Very old trucks (Fords of course!) had front-sump pans because more of the engine was in front of the front axle. Nowdays, more of the engine is rearward of the front crossmember, probably needing a rear sump. But having not investigated this, I really don't know. But in line with this reasoning, I would think that wherever the sump was on that 5.4, is also where it would be on the 5.0. Just an assumption, but an educated one. Still, visit the dealer, see a new one, and know for sure. Good luck!

Boss5.0 06-11-2012 04:33 PM

There is only one answer and that's in the rear.

Gary Atsma 06-11-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Boss5.0 (Post 11940696)

And there you have it....... (he musta looked at one.......cuz he has one.....END of debate!)
Hey Boss, just saw what ya got. How do you like it so far? Were all the mods worth it? As in, would you do anything different?

Boss5.0 06-12-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Atsma (Post 11941577)
And there you have it....... (he musta looked at one.......cuz he has one.....END of debate!)
Hey Boss, just saw what ya got. How do you like it so far? Were all the mods worth it? As in, would you do anything different?

Go get one and see for your self.lol

craftsmangary 06-14-2012 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by jade79 (Post 11743805)
Just wondering, I'm planning a swap in an older truck in the future and trying to work out all the logistics before I go buying or cutting anything. Thanks.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing in a old Ford pickup. Have you figured anything out yet?

dave91gt 06-16-2012 04:57 PM

It is a rear sump.
Geez guys. If you can't help him out why post an answer?

Boss5.0 06-16-2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by dave91gt (Post 11959975)
It is a rear sump.
Geez guys. If you can't help him out why post an answer?

I thought I did.

Gary Atsma 06-16-2012 11:47 PM

You DID! (see below)(tried, but forgot how to delete this post..)

Gary Atsma 06-16-2012 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boss5.0 (Post 11940696)

Looks to me like you did; some folks just aren't that observant......

dave91gt 06-17-2012 09:30 AM

You did Boss. My bad!
My apologies. Just wanting to help out.