Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   So tell me if I just made a huge mistake (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1156812-so-tell-me-if-i-just-made-a-huge-mistake.html)

gtilton.as 04-21-2012 04:53 PM

So tell me if I just made a huge mistake

I just pulled the trigger and purchased a 1960 F350 with a Mason Dump Bed.

I know I should have come here first and checked things out but it seemed like way to good of a deal to risk missing. This was used in a small gravel pit up until 3 years ago.

I just paid the guy and am arranging for transport to my house on Monday. I looked it over pretty good and had hands all over it helping get it up out of the pit to where it can be picked up, but once its hear what should I be looking at.

85e150 04-21-2012 05:44 PM

Running? You may be in a bigger hole than the one the truck came out of.....:-X04

Really, it depends on your plans. As a project for a truck you like the looks of, you are probably good.

If you were planning on putting to work Monday in a for-profit enterprise, you probably made an error.

gtilton.as 04-21-2012 07:08 PM

Took me about 2 hours to get the engine running. One front rim was missing a tire completely. (actually it was about 3 feet away, rotted beyond use) Moved the rim to the back and swapped one of the tires to the front. Was able to drive it up to the edge of the pit, needed a skidder to pull it up the hill, loose gravel not enough traction. Runs and is complete, needs major body work, brakes, wiring, and all new side glass. The side glass is there but either cracked or bubbled.

It is a project and I love the look from the front.

Just sold my last project as their was nothing left to do to it so I was bored.

Will try to get some pictures once I get it here.

spurredon 04-21-2012 07:51 PM

Well, welcome to FTE! It's very hard to tell if you made a mistake since we don't really know what you got or what you had togive to get it!

Glad you rescued another Fridge!

gtilton.as 04-21-2012 07:58 PM

I threw the 3 pictures I have into my garage.

I paid $1000.00 even.

What's a Fridge?

Walston 04-21-2012 08:03 PM

From the pictures it looks pretty good. Seems like a reasonable price if you like dump trucks. What engine does it have? How is the floor to the cab? What are you planning to do to it?

gtilton.as 04-21-2012 08:28 PM

Love dumps and have need for one about 6 times a year. It has the 292. The floor is good. Planning to fix electric and brakes, figure out where its leaks are and fix them and then bodywork and paint.

63flareside 04-21-2012 10:01 PM

They are called fridges because the cabs look like fridges. another commonly used name for the 57-60 trucks orphans.

GB SISSON 04-22-2012 03:59 AM

Looks pretty nice! Welcome to fridgeworld. And just to clarify a bit, they look like a fridge from the 50's and 60's. JIC you weren't around then, they had slab sides and rounded on the corners. (spurredon's avatar)As a cabinetmaker I see a lot of modern fridges and they look more like a Delorean. Maybe future generations will call THEM a fridge........:-wink Oh, and the F350s rock.

gtilton.as 04-22-2012 07:57 AM

Thanks. I was a little surprised how little it took to get it running.

I was more surprised at how much it took to get the front rim off.

I didn't think to look yesterday, do the fenders bolt on or are they welded on? It looked like with the grill fenders hood and doors off and the bed raised I could work on everything I need to without removing the cab.

Walston 04-22-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by gtilton.as (Post 11741475)
do the fenders bolt on or are they welded on?

They bolt on. There are inner fenders, outer fenders, radiatorsupport, a gravel pan and the grille. They can be removed as a front clip or individually. If you click on my name "Walston" and select gallery you will find several pictures that may be helpful. I would get a shop manual, they are very helpful and easy to find on ebay.

The 292 is a Y-block. There is a Y-block forum on this site and the guys in the 48-56 forum are also extremely helpful and the engine and many other parts are the same or similar. There are many other Y-block forums as well.

Good luck and if you have questions, don't be shy about asking.

gtilton.as 04-24-2012 07:19 PM

Thanks Walston, I checked out your page. Nice Tractor.

Walston 04-25-2012 05:01 AM

I am glad you checked out my tractor, but this is the gallery on the truck I was referring to: Ford Truck Enthusiasts User Gallery

gtilton.as 04-25-2012 11:39 AM

I looked at that too, it was helpful. Truck should be here in an hour. I am fond of old tractors, drove a lot of them in my teens doing farm work. Current tractor is a relatively new Kubota, its a 1979. Small enough for my property, big enough to do what I need, and cheap enough to fit in my budget.

Thanks for the link.

NumberDummy 04-27-2012 04:08 PM

The problem with these F350's are the 6 lug 7.25" bolt circle wheels that are not shared with any other Ford truck.

Finding replacement wheels is very difficult, especially if it has DRW.