Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Monster 8 piston brake calipers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1155082-monster-8-piston-brake-calipers.html)

RACERX7775 04-13-2012 09:16 PM

Monster 8 piston brake calipers

5 Attachment(s)
Like the title says. For the past 30,000 miles I have bee running ART cryo rotors and performance friction pads on the front and rear. With the new tires, I have really hated the stopping power. Well, I bit the bullet and got a set of SSBC 8 piston powdercoated calipers and braided brake lines. The new kit is just for the front. I put on a set of new stock rotors until I get my new set of ART rotors ordered because of the grooves cut in them from a rivet. I also ordered a set of Porterfield R4 brake pads for the rear. The truck has SOOOOO much better feel to it. I bearly have to push the pedal now. I am still in the process of getting the parts so I can swap out the brake booster and go to hydroboost. The problem there is getting a fitting off of the P/S pump to supply the unit. The rest can all be factory Ford parts. Here are a couple pics.

Attachment 53237

Attachment 53238

Attachment 53240

Attachment 53241

WE3ZS 04-13-2012 11:02 PM

Super sexy Racer, very nice! :-X22

swheeler 04-13-2012 11:19 PM

Where did you get them?

archtaan 04-14-2012 12:27 AM

Wow! Those are awesome! SSBC make some quality stuff!

tims01 04-14-2012 12:51 AM

drool :-jammin

Snowseeker 04-14-2012 07:54 AM

That is awesome!

Joe28443 04-14-2012 07:58 AM

Dats Purdy :-X0A6

RACERX7775 04-14-2012 08:50 AM

Thanks guys. SSBC makes the calipers. They were the cheapest too. I was told by several people to get the optional powdercoating because the plain anodized coating would look just like the stock calipers in a matter of a few weeks. Plus, they look ten times better. They do stop amazing. When they do come out, I will be getting the matching calipers for the rear too. They were a true bolt on. I just unbolted the 2 caliper bracket bolts, lifted off the bracket and caliper assembly and then bolted the new caliper right to the spindle using the 2 caliper bracket bolts and holes. Then it was just a matter of installing the braides line and bleeding the system with all new synthetic Dot 4 fluid.

Oh, the brake pads are hawk superduty and when I need new pads, I have to order them for a Hummer H2. Thats because those pads are alot bigger than the factory ford brakes.

bigzirb 04-14-2012 07:19 PM

Looks Great!!!
now another thing I have to put on the "TO DO" list to kep up with the rest of you guys on mods, lol.:-drink

aortizexcursion 04-14-2012 08:38 PM

They look great!
I would personally keep those stock, non-drilled and non-slotted discs on there...not much if any to be gained from those drilled and slotted rotors.

RACERX7775 04-14-2012 09:06 PM

Thanks guys. Mr. Ortiz, the stock rotors are the cheap junk rotors. They are a just until I get my ART rotors machined. Ive had them for over 30,000 miles and they are great. I dont know about other guys, but I can easily feel the difference when I swapped into the good cryo rotors compared to junk stock replacements.

Snowseeker 04-15-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by RACERX7775 (Post 11710195)
Thanks guys. Mr. Ortiz, the stock rotors are the cheap junk rotors. They are a just until I get my ART rotors machined. Ive had them for over 30,000 miles and they are great. I dont know about other guys, but I can easily feel the difference when I swapped into the good cryo rotors compared to junk stock replacements.

Can you feel the difference swapping from old glazed over stock rotors to new drilled and slotted rotors? Or can you feel the difference between new stock and new drilled and slotted?

Most people say they can feel a difference with new rotors normally because they replace pads, rotors, calipers, fluid all at the same time so they should feel a difference but its not so much because of the drill holes and slots, its because the fluid was changed and everything is new.

Just changing the brake fluid you should be able to tell a difference in braking. Scuff off the glazing on the stock rotors and you should also feel a difference. Get new stock rotors, new pads, and change fluid and I doubt someone would be able to tell a difference between new brakes with slotted rotors or new brakes with stock rotors.

Slotted and drilled is fine if that is what you want, I just prefer blanks.

RACERX7775 04-15-2012 09:53 AM

Your entire quote is true. When I first replaced my stock junk rotors and stock pads with the powerslots and hawks, they stopped better. But my powerslots were toast in about 8000 miles. Destroyed the rotors too. Then 30,000 miles ago, I replaced all 4 with the ARTcryo rotors with slots and drilled holes and performance friction pads. They said the holes were merely cosmetic because the slots do the outgassing and cooling. Well, then when I bought the new calipers, they came with hawk super duty pads. I would have kept the ART rotors on, but the pads grooved the rotors and I didnt have any time to have them milled so, for the mean time, I put a set of stock cheapos on until I can get the ART's back on. I definately notic a difference with stock rotors and the ART CRYO rotors though. For the rears for now, I will just grind the ART cryo rotors, and install a new set of pads. I dont know if im going with Porterfield R4 pads, performance friction, or hawk super duty pads. Im leaning towards the super duty pads because the are great on the front.

Snowseeker 04-15-2012 10:22 AM

I have always heard good things about hawk pads. But the harder the pad the more it will want to dig into the rotors. Many people get ceramic impregnated pads and they do work great but will eat up the rotor. That is one of the reasons they do work great is because they are cleaning off the rotor and basically grinding a new surface all the time. I always try to get at least two brake jobs out of a set of rotors.

The rotors on my X are glazed over but after changing fluid and freeing up and lubing slide pins they work just fine. The pads have quite a bit of life in them yet. When these pads are gone I will most likely do new pads and rotors all around.

RACERX7775 04-15-2012 10:44 AM

I hear ya. Thats why I really want to get one more pad life out of my ART rotors. I also flushed the brake system using Dot 4 synthetic fluid. The pedal is much firmer with my new setup. I dont have slide pins anymore because the calipers are fixed because they are 4 pistons on each side.