Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   1984 E150 emission controls (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1154129-1984-e150-emission-controls.html)

craig47 04-09-2012 09:13 PM

1984 E150 emission controls

I have a 1984 E150 that needs a proper vacuum diagram. Eight years ago I worked on it and managed to get it to pass Virginia smog ( even the treadmill ). The owner has called me back to active duty on it. I found a similar E150 ( same year and engine V8 302 Cubic Inch ) but with some differences. Mine has a 2150 carburetor with an altitude compensator. I took a picture of the diagram that was on the underside of the hood on the van that I found. The diagram does not show the altitude compensator vacuum connection as an example. . Mister Badwrench had his ugly hands on the VAN I am repairing before it came to me. Anything to do with emission controls was either missing or broken. Power valve was broken and the vacuum hose to it was cut and both ends plugged. Anything to do with the choke bi-metal spring getting heated air so it would open the choke was missing. The choke bi-metal spring was badly wrenched so it could not close the choke ( made cold starting very difficult ). Air cleaner intake snorkel tube was mostly missing. You get the idea.
It took some time to come across that van that had the vacuum diagram ( over a year of looking ). I was able to get everything back together with help from the library. The library has burned many of their paper manuals in the past 8 years. What is in their online files is not very useful.

I recently found a Ford 1984 Car And Truck Emission Facts Book. It has Vacuum Diagrams for all vehicles of that year. However there are some minor differences between the setup on the van I am working on when compared to what the Facts Book has. My carburetor has an extra attachment that I think is an Altitude Compensator. The diagrams in the book for my specific carburetor ( E4TE APA ) do not show any vac line for this connection. Some of the diagrams show a Carburetor port marked "ALT". A few of those diagrams show what I think is just a cap-off plug. An example is calibration 4-64G-R02 5.8L. Decal # E4AE-9C485-BAD using a Holley 4180C-4V part number E4TE-9510-ARA
Does this port on my carb go to an Aneroid Barometer device somewhere under the hood or should it be capped off.

Other diagrams with an ALT port show a vac line going to a bunch of plumbing. This unidentified port on my carb is located on the front of the carb near the power valve. It is held on by 3 screws.

Mister Badwrench's cousin, Mister Monkeywrench, had his ugly hand on it. This is why I was called back to duty. There is a hose from the charcoal canister purge control valve that is not connected. I know it goes to the intake manifold but I can not find an open connection for it to go to. The vacuum hose plumbing is weird. I went back to where I found the van that had the diagram so I could follow the hose routing. The owner had gotten rid of it.

If someone has diagrams available please inform me. I still have the JPG image of the one that I found.

Thank you

Craig