Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   early 6.0 crank no start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1154029-early-6-0-crank-no-start.html)

devils toy 04-09-2012 03:53 PM

early 6.0 crank no start

I have an early 6.0 with icp under the turbo that died while driving it. Now it cranks no start with NO DTC. So after reading a bunch of post it sounded like a sct or failed oil rings on the dummy plugs and/or stand pipe.I just removed the valve cover and discovered a totally different rail then i seen on videos or on different trucks. So now are there no d plugs? or they are located else where and does the early model have the sct problem as the older 6.0? I dont want to tear turbo off to discover different hpop. Icp sensor is new with new pigtails. Any input would be great. Trying to get access to a better scanner then my snap on red brick

Rusty Axlerod 04-09-2012 06:03 PM

I would want to see live data on ICP and IPR. '03 and early '04 didn't have an STC fitting and different HPOP as well as different oil rails. The early pumps were pretty good but they would spit out a check ball sometimes. No DTC's is odd. Should set a code for somthing (I forgot what:-arrgh) after 30sec or so of cranking with no start. Do you have low pressure oil? Oil gauge should come up after cranking several seconds or you can look in oil filter housing while holding tab down in bottom of housing. Did you tried to crank with ICP disconnected?
Sound like you need some pic/video of the early engines. Maybe someone can post some links up here for you. All my saved links are for the later engines.

bismic 04-09-2012 07:40 PM

There are no dummy plugs in the early oil rails.

devils toy 04-09-2012 08:38 PM

Yeah thats what i thought when i pulled the valve cover off and I saw the simple style fuel rail and I m glad I asked bout the sct fitting. I would have been pissed to pull the turbo to find out. I m gonna try to disconnect the icp sensor if i can reach it but after that im out of ideas with out dtc codes it gets harder

Rusty Axlerod 04-09-2012 09:28 PM

SGII is well worth the bucks if you plan on working on these trucks yourself. Check the no-start thread in the Tech folder, and the ICP thread also. It's possible to verify pressure with a gauge and an adapter (same one that fits the fuel pressure test port). Also there's info on checking ICP with a meter if I remember correctly. more than one way to get 'er done!

devils toy 04-16-2012 10:35 PM

Ok I had a friend come over with his snap on scanner and we discovered the pcm was not reading the camshaft sensor. So went out and bought one and spent some time getting that bad boy out. Removing it was the easy part but unplugging it with out damaging the plug was hard

eagleinms 04-17-2012 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by devils toy (Post 11719382)
Ok I had a friend come over with his snap on scanner and we discovered the pcm was not reading the camshaft sensor. So went out and bought one and spent some time getting that bad boy out. Removing it was the easy part but unplugging it with out damaging the plug was hard

A bad camshaft sensor should through a code. Do you have OEM oil filter and filter cap? Causes big problems if not. I installed new ICP last month, while cranking ICP=324psi, IPR=87%. BAD IPR. Installed new 1, cranked right up. Installed new pig tail also. I did the IPR without removing the turbo. Not bad if you have the correct socket for the IPR. Did the ICP from under, 2 hours. I am leaning to the IPR if the cam sensor does not fix the problem.
Good luck and God Bless
Eagleinms

devils toy 04-17-2012 09:01 PM

OK before we drained the battery we had the icp over 340psi. What is ideal for icp and Ipr?
I replaced cam sensor snap on scanner got a trouble code for it and when we did live data while cranking it did not read cam sensor nor crank. Pulled out the sensor and tested it and it was off one ohm compared to the new one. So now we are reading both sensors but still no start. Sounds like its starving for fuel. Did a shot of ether ( i know its bad) and the truck tried to start but didnt stay running. What other readings are needed? will try again tomorrow

Rusty Axlerod 04-17-2012 09:35 PM

Check here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...with-6-0l.html

Post #7 by Bismic has the answer you seek grasshopper. :)

devils toy 04-17-2012 10:10 PM

OK I will try that tomorrow when bats are fully charged. My only problem is i have the early 6.0 so icp in real bad spot. If bad that will be my third one in 3 years and new pigtail to

BLADE35 04-17-2012 10:51 PM

That Cam sensor code could have been set from a stall event

Another good check for a Bad CMP sensor is no Tach reading (IIRC you should see a Tach RPM Reading with a long crank) and with the SGII you can also check for CMP sensor Sync

at minimum you need a ScanGaugeII

the ICP unplugged may work IDK If it does work and you keep having ICP sensors go BAD then its Highly possible the IPR has an issue and is overpressurizing and Blowing them out it may be worth pullen IPR for a Look

Your 340 ICP squarely points at the HPO system issue with your ICP reading some oil pressure I am thinking it might be OK and its something else but try the unplug thing anyway

and make shure you keep Batterys charged up draining them alot can cause Batterys/FICM to go bad

Do you have an OEM Oil Filter and OEM oil filter Cap??????????

devils toy 04-25-2012 11:05 PM

OK my job let me work only 12 hours today so I was able to play with the truck. So far I ruled out ficm, low pressure oil pump. I ran the scanner and pulled these codes p0046, po102,p2291. The 0102 is just from having the air inlet tube off for access to the ipr. I dug a little farther and found this code thou p2552. Not sure about that one, found that one in the tranny computer. I need to find the best way to try to unplug icp.

@Blade yes I do have the oem filter cap dont remember bout the filter

BLADE35 04-25-2012 11:17 PM

p2291 is a HPO code

Now you Must be shure about that Filter because of this code
If unshure change it Now Have to rule it out IMO

I will look the exact code definition up now

BLADE35 04-25-2012 11:18 PM

what year is it?????????

BLADE35 04-25-2012 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by devils toy (Post 11757501)
OK my job let me work only 12 hours today so I was able to play with the truck. So far I ruled out ficm, low pressure oil pump. I ran the scanner and pulled these codes p0046, po102,p2291. The 0102 is just from having the air inlet tube off for access to the ipr. I dug a little farther and found this code thou p2552. Not sure about that one, found that one in the tranny computer. I need to find the best way to try to unplug icp.

@Blade yes I do have the oem filter cap dont remember bout the filter

I assume 03 since ICP comeinto question to unplug right

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 681pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=908><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 77pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3730" width=102><COL style="WIDTH: 86pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4205" width=115><COL style="WIDTH: 237pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 11556" width=316><COL style="WIDTH: 281pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 13714" width=375><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt" height=34><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 77pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=34 width=102>P0046</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 86pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=115>VGT Solenoid</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 237pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=316>Turbo/Super Charger Boost Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 281pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=375>Open circuit, control circuit short to voltage, control circuit short to ground, solenoid</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 681pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=908><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 77pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3730" width=102><COL style="WIDTH: 86pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4205" width=115><COL style="WIDTH: 237pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 11556" width=316><COL style="WIDTH: 281pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 13714" width=375><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 25.5pt" height=34><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 77pt; HEIGHT: 25.5pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=34 width=102>P2291</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 86pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=115>ICP</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 237pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=316>Injector Control Pressure Too Low — Engine Cranking</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: black; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 281pt; BORDER-TOP: black 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 width=375>ICP cranking pressure too low</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

P2552 Throttle/Fuel Inhibit Circuit / Open D d d IDK about this code its a first for me

heres a better definition FWIW
P2552 C O R FICMM Circuit - Throttle/Fuel Inhibit Circuit No signal from the FICM Monitor circuit Circuit open/short, FICM, PCM

yes unplug ICP and try

I hope Im wrong but Im betting it wont start with ICP unplugged Im thinking IPR is BAD and could be from the wrong filter or that sometimes happens

Pull IPR and check screen out if above dont work