Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum43/)
-   -   77 ranchero 351m (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1152465-77-ranchero-351m.html)

vera martin 04-02-2012 06:35 PM

77 ranchero 351m

please help me having issues with the car need help, runs n sounds great but wont stay running when driving

critterf1 04-02-2012 07:49 PM

A little more info would/might be helpful.

NumberDummy 04-04-2012 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by vera martin (Post 11658602)
please help me having issues with the car need help, runs n sounds great but wont stay running when driving

The three step scenario of a failing Dura/Spark ignition module:

1) Module overheats, engine dies. Module cools down, engine restarts almost at once.

2) Module overheats, engine dies. Module cools down, engine restarts in an hour...or so.

3) Sooner or later, usually sooner, the module overheats, BURNS OUT. Now the engine will not restart.

Since these modules only fail when they overheat, taking it to a parts store to be tested...since it's cool, it will probably test OK unless the puppy has burned out.

Note: 1977/79 sold new in CA vehicles could have THREE different modules, TWO were CRAP from day one!

Look on the module above where the wires feed out for a colored plastic square. If it's red: notorious POS, if it's brown, not as notorious POS, if it's blue, best of the three.

The blue module will also be found on 50 state 1976's and 1977/79's not sold new in CA

1970's igntion modules were so prone to failure that Ford techs referred to Dura/Spark as Never/Spark!

RFAgrasshopper 04-04-2012 11:47 PM

It could be many things! One could be the module as stated above. An other one could be a bad(carboned up) EGR valve that will allow it to start and then die when you try to drive. Depending what carb it has,it could be a blown power valve.

NumberDummy 04-05-2012 12:18 AM

The original factory installed EGR/Carb spacer plates were made from aluminum. Not only does these EGR and their spacer plates carbon up, but heat caused the plates to MELT internally.

The FoMoCo service part replacement plates are cast iron, but are now obsolete.

chamblizi 04-14-2012 01:51 AM

Time for a Motor Flush and a tune up...

When is the last time you did a full tune up and inspected your spark plugs as well for flushed your engine? a bad air filter can choke out your engine.... depending on how the filter box is made on my ol 89 f-250 when i first got it it had a start then fail problem which come to find out was nothing but needed a oil change and a airfilter change there was motor oil all in the filter box when i got it which choked it out.

parts4me 04-15-2012 12:34 PM

I would start with a list of possible problems that you could address and start with the simple repairs and hopefully one of them will be the problem, I would bet it is an EGR issue.