Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   Trans cooler setup for 7.5 460. 93 f350 xlt (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151757-trans-cooler-setup-for-7-5-460-93-f350-xlt.html)

Leichardti 03-30-2012 11:54 PM

Trans cooler setup for 7.5 460. 93 f350 xlt

93 F350 xlt 4x4 7.5 460
About to replace radiator, water pump, heater core, etc.

Privious owner plugged up the trans cooler ports on the radiator and just mounted a 11"x5-3/4"x1-1/2 trans cooler in front of the condenser assembly.

After I replace radiator should I run the trans fluid through the rad and the trans cooler?
Or any other options?
2 trans coolers and plug up rad?

Thank you for your time.

mustangman 03-31-2012 02:13 PM

actually running thru the radiator is for colder climates,for warming the trans fluid up, id run without the engines radiator hooked up , just hook up trans up to external fluid cooler,and you can even mount a small electric fan to cooler with remote switch, plus you never have to worry about an internal rupture in radiator mixing antifreeze in ur trans

Leichardti 03-31-2012 06:19 PM

I plan to tow random things up to 9,500 lbs, cold and hot weather, highways and desert.
Will the single small trans cooler be enough? Our should i run one big one or two small ones?
Any recommendation for type of small fan to use?
I haven't added a Trans temp gauge yet, but i know it was running hot last time i was towing.

Lead Head 03-31-2012 08:18 PM

The end-tank radiator cooler is not only for cold climates. It will take a large chunk of the heat of the fluid. Without the radiator cooler, your transmission temperature will rocket up during periods of high-load, low/no ground speed since there will not be much air flowing. You should have it setup so the fluid enters the radiator cooler first, then goes through front mount air-oil cooler

Also, are you sure its a cooler the previous owner added? The 460 Trucks came with a front mount cooler that was of a similar size stock. If they completely bypassed the radiator cooler, and are only using the small stock front-mount, your transmission will get hot, real easily.

If you're going to be towing ~10,000 pounds regularly, put the the radiator cooler back in circuit, and put the biggest transmission cooler you can find up front.

Leichardti 04-01-2012 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info. You can tell the previous owner added the cooler because it has aftermarket mounts, zip ties and mounted funny.
When i replace replace radiator, i will run the Trans fluid thru the radiator, then thru the Trans cooler. I will also install a larger one.
Instead of a new large cooler, can i use one of another ford?

Lead Head 04-01-2012 11:30 AM

The only Ford transmission coolers that are worth putting on these trucks are the 6.0 PowerStroke transmission coolers.

The Factory 460 and 7.3 PSD transmission coolers were way too small

Leichardti 04-02-2012 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Ill def upgrade to the 6.0 trans cooler or atleast something similar in size.