Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP! Instrument Cluster problems! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151677-please-help-instrument-cluster-problems.html)

roy.prue 03-30-2012 05:30 PM

PLEASE HELP! Instrument Cluster problems!

I have an 05 6.0 Crew Cab Lariet. Lately iv been driving down the road and my dash cluster will reset, the chime goes off and the gauges do a sweep like when the key is turned on. It will do it randomly, bumps dont matter, it will do it idling at a light. It was a now and then thing and hadnt done it for about 3 weeks then yesterday it started doing it fairly frequently. This sucks! No loss of power to anything else except radio but it dosent lose the memory. I figured a loose connection to the cluster so i checked them and it was ok. Any ideas?? Maybe a bad cluster.

Dave G. 03-30-2012 05:51 PM

It could be a couple of things. On my truck, there is a relay that powers the dash and radio for probably 20-30 mins. after the key is off. If this replay is shorting, it could affect normal driving use also. It could also be a corroded connection in the GEM.

Next time it happens, check the operation of door locks and windows. If they aren't working either, it's likely the GEM connections, or the GEM itself.

Dave

roy.prue 03-30-2012 06:00 PM

When it happens at night the lights on the window and lock switches go out, ill check n see if they lose power, but its so quick just like a quick second. What is the GEM?

roy.prue 04-03-2012 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dave G. (Post 11646505)
It could be a couple of things. On my truck, there is a relay that powers the dash and radio for probably 20-30 mins. after the key is off. If this replay is shorting, it could affect normal driving use also. It could also be a corroded connection in the GEM.

Next time it happens, check the operation of door locks and windows. If they aren't working either, it's likely the GEM connections, or the GEM itself.

Dave

You seem to be right about the windows cutting out when it resets. Where is the GEM so I can try to clean the connections. Im not familiar with the GEM, never heard of it.

dchamberlain 04-03-2012 12:54 PM

An 05 doesn't have a GEM module.

You either have a short in the wiring powering the cluster, or a bad or broken solder joint in the cluster. I would turn they key on and start wiggling wires back there and see what happens. You might have to pull the cluster out to get the the wires right at the back.

Dave G. 04-03-2012 05:03 PM

David

Yeah, I remembered that after I logged off. I verified the next morning on my own '05. I just forgot to submit a correction. Thanks.

Dave

roy.prue 04-03-2012 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by dchamberlain (Post 11661799)
An 05 doesn't have a GEM module.

You either have a short in the wiring powering the cluster, or a bad or broken solder joint in the cluster. I would turn they key on and start wiggling wires back there and see what happens. You might have to pull the cluster out to get the the wires right at the back.

Iv had my cluster out to check thoes connections as well, I think iv wiggled and checked every ground and wire I can find. Nothing I touch will make it do it... Im at a loss with it, Iv only had the truck since December of '11. I went to look at a cummins today and they offered me $16,000 for my truck. If the cummins wasnt a reg cab I would have already traded mine in. I love my Super Duty but electrical issues scare the hell outa me.

Dave G. 04-03-2012 08:07 PM

I don't remember the years affected, but there was an ongoing problem with the wire harness in the steering column. The issue was parts of the harness getting pinched and broken. Since your problem mimics turning the key off/on, might be worth looking at. I wouldn't doubt there might be a TSB about it.

Dave