Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   Info on body swap please (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151141-info-on-body-swap-please.html)

akamacgyver 03-28-2012 11:34 AM

Info on body swap please

Hey guys,

I am moving to Denver this summer and will need a 4WD I have put a lot of work into my 93 F250 xtra-cab xlt 2WD and the body and interior are in great shape. How hard would it be to do a body swap if I can find a 4X4 doner truck, and what years are compatible with the 93 body style?

Thanks for any info.

hairyboxnoogle 03-28-2012 12:22 PM

The 80-86 and 87-91 chassis "should" be interchangeable with yours from what i understand. If you get the same style truck for the swap it would just be swapping. I suggest 2 or 3 good strong friends some new body mounts, a sawzall and a whole lot a patience.

Even better though... why not swap in a ttb D-50 (was the stock F250 4wd front axle) or even better, a solid axle dana 60? That way you get to keep your truck, AND its 4wd, a valuable asset for any vehicle. Especially going the route of the D50 you could probably get all the parts from a rig getting parted out, or the junkyard for alot cheaper than a full donor, not to mention alot less work. Chances are almost any front end you find will be low miles (except hubs) due to lock out hubs. My opinion, spend $100 for the axle and hardware, spend $25 on seals and grease, grease it up, slap some new seals in, and have a nearely new axle. Only real catch would be finding the right gearing to match your rearend, however if you have considered regearing, you could get that ratio front, and ring and pinion the back, excellent time to do it.

akamacgyver 03-28-2012 01:32 PM

More to it than that???

Box,

Thanks for your response, but I posed that question on here before and the overwhelming response was: there is a lot more to it than that. First of all I have an E40D which from what I understand are different 2WD to 4WD for the transfer case mount, I have heard that the frames are different. I would need to find a 4WD E40D trans, transfer case and drive shaft, etc... I have been told by people that have done it, easier to sell my truck, buy a 4WD and concentrate my efforts in refurbishing it. I can get a 1988 4WD x-cab with a E40D for 800 bucks, but it is thrashed, so I thought if I could just do a body swap, I would be set. I know I would need to make access for the transfer case shift lever, but I am not sure what else.

For instance:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...3-f-250-a.html

Thanks again,

Mac.

tecgod13 03-28-2012 06:53 PM

Depending on the state and its laws, you may have to do some work on the title with a body swap to make it legal. So thats something you might have to look at.

The 88 you mention might be a good option there. The wiring will have some differences, do you have an electronic speedometer? Worst case scenario would be transplanting the wiring harness along with the cab, though that might not be totally necessary. Were you going to do an engine swap too?

For the transfer case lever, look under your cab, the hole might already be there. When I did my 2wd to 4x4 swap, all I had to do was pull back the carpet and unscrew a plate that covers the transfer case shift hole on 2wd's. Then I cut a hole in the carpet matching the one in my donor 4x4 truck and swapped the trim piece over. The worst part was trying to drill holes for the trim piece and get the screws to line up to them (broke a bit on one and still can't quite get it to line up right, but it works and looks fine).

Depending on how much work you've also done to the bed, fenders, engine, frame, axles, etc... yours almost might be a case where it would be worth trying a 4x4 swap, but I've seen you've done the homework and know how much of a pain in the ass it is. Having done it (and said in that post you linked it SUCKS!), its not something I would recommend unless you're really attached to your truck and have the time and fabrication skill to pull it off. A body swap is much more plug and play friendly.

Ford F834 03-28-2012 07:23 PM

If the body is thrashed, I would be suspicious of the suspension and all of the wearable drive line parts as well. Be careful on this one. I've never done a 4x4 swap, I know they are not easy, but that would be ~my choice. I would buy the 88 as a donor for the front axle, transmission, transfer case, drive shafts and frame pieces you need. I would only recommend this if you are really set on keeping your truck. Buying a good condition 4x4 is a lot easier, but I understand about not wanting to loose your investment. A full body swap ~might be easier, but still a royal chore. The VIN mis-match may or may not be an issue (usually involves salvage titles on both donors, a class III inspection on the new truck, and a state assigned new VIN). Don't know what would happen if you ever went to register it in a different state, had to pass emissions if one of the donors was a gasser etc. If it were me I would keep my matching VIN's, do the axle swap and leave the good 'ol MVD out of it :-X22

Originally Posted by akamacgyver (Post 11636393)
Box,

Thanks for your response, but I posed that question on here before and the overwhelming response was: there is a lot more to it than that. First of all I have an E40D which from what I understand are different 2WD to 4WD for the transfer case mount, I have heard that the frames are different. I would need to find a 4WD E40D trans, transfer case and drive shaft, etc... I have been told by people that have done it, easier to sell my truck, buy a 4WD and concentrate my efforts in refurbishing it. I can get a 1988 4WD x-cab with a E40D for 800 bucks, but it is thrashed, so I thought if I could just do a body swap, I would be set. I know I would need to make access for the transfer case shift lever, but I am not sure what else.

For instance:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...3-f-250-a.html

Thanks again,

Mac.

IDIDieselJohn 03-28-2012 10:30 PM

For the VIN, just swap over the body, and say you've converted to 4x4.

What they don't know, can't hurt them :D

Ford F834 03-29-2012 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by IDIDieselJohn (Post 11638608)
For the VIN, just swap over the body, and say you've converted to 4x4.

What they don't know, can't hurt them :D

In AZ they check the frame VIN with the aluminum tag under the windshield and they had darn well better match... I understand that in rust country the frame VIN is often flaked away and not an issue, but I wouldn't want my project truck to have VIN issues.... AT ALL. I would rather that they both be readable and matching. Switching the aluminum tag ~can work for the identical cab type and body style, but is illegal if you leave any evidence that it's been messed with. Definitely would not want to try that with different years/body styles!

akamacgyver 03-29-2012 11:56 AM

Wow,

A lot to think about! I think I might be better off looking for a decent 4WD and swapping parts. I am moving to a different state and don't need reg. issues, and I wouldn't even try to reg. it here in CA. They would probably want a birth certificate and a note from it's mother! I cant wait to leave this concrete wasteland! If I do that, I will have my working truck for most of the summer, while I go through the chassis of the new truck, then decide if i want to do a motor swap. I am not sure yet about that one, I have 220k on my motor, but it runs great, I just did the pump, injectors, and glow plugs, it has a Banks sidewinder on it already, and I know the SCA's have been monitored, so I feel good about it.

Much pondering to do.

This truck looks like it is in pretty good shape, I think he wants too much, and I'm not excited about the color, anybody know anything about this alleged "steel gear swap"? I like the fact that the trans has been rebuilt. I have had good luck with my E40D, but I think I might be the only one! I don't want a manual especially not in the snow!

1990 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 Turbo Diesel

Thanks guys,

Mac.:-drink

Aune163rd 03-29-2012 12:43 PM

OOOOO Dat dars a purty truck.....

akamacgyver 03-29-2012 01:41 PM

So I e-mailed the guy with the 1990 4x4 these questions: is this a manual trans or the e40d auto? A sidewinder turbo kit or the non wastegated Banks? How many miles? Do you know about SCA’s? What kind of shape is the interior in.

And his response was:

In follow-up to your questions, this is an Automatic Transmission, also the Banks Turbo Package does not have the SideWinder hat that you are showing in your picture. Take care for now and I will still be out of town until Saturday,

Nothing about mileage, or interior condition, and he probably doesn't know what SCA's are since he didn't respond to that question. (he's probably still scratching his head!)

Sounds like a motor swap unless the coolant tests well for SCA's and then at least a turbo swap. I have a complete Sidewinder kit with gauges and ram air with a 3-1/2" exhaust all professionally installed with about 40k miles on them.

At least I know he won't sell it before Saturday. I might see if I can get it for $3500.00. I figure I can get about $2500.00 for mine here in CA with the other turbo on it.

deazr 04-06-2014 05:41 PM

need help!

i have a 1987 ford f250 with a 6.9 and manual trans that i bought off my dad, it needs a bit of love and i was wondering if the fenders hood grille etc from a 1994 can be bolted on into replace the 87 front end, im not a fan of the 87 front end.

Ford F834 04-06-2014 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by deazr (Post 14237518)
i have a 1987 ford f250 with a 6.9 and manual trans that i bought off my dad, it needs a bit of love and i was wondering if the fenders hood grille etc from a 1994 can be bolted on into replace the 87 front end, im not a fan of the 87 front end.

Yes, that is a very common swap.

deazr 04-06-2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ford F834 (Post 14237705)
Yes, that is a very common swap.

ok thank you, this is my first time doing any sort of build. so will everything bolt in place or will i have to do any modifying?

Ford F834 04-06-2014 10:09 PM

Between the 80-86 style, 87-91 style, and 92-96 style there was a small change in how the fender is fastened to the cab, but don't remember which body style changed. Anyway, iirc the modification is very minimal if any in your case.