Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   C6 kickdown linkage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1150394-c6-kickdown-linkage.html)

PapaBearYuma 03-25-2012 06:05 PM

C6 kickdown linkage

When I bought the yellow truck (79 F350 460 C6) it had a 4160 Holley, a 3/4" spacer and an Offy manifold. The kickdown lever wasn't even close to connecting.

I pulled the Offy, and the spacer, and installed a Performer and a new 4160 carb. The kickdown is closer, but still not quite right.

At rest, the kickdown pulls the throttle open and the idle is too high. When forced onto the shaft, the kickdown travel doesn't allow the carb to open to full throttle.

I tried the Holley kickdown extension, but that doesn't work either. At rest, the kickdown needs about a quarter inch more, and (following the accelerator arc) needs about an inch.

Any ideas (other than downshifting from the column) are greatly appreciated

J ballan 03-25-2012 06:47 PM

I feel your pain. It's like the throttle has way more travel than the kick down lever does on the tranny? I built one out of 3/8 stainless tubing but it doesn't work perfect. Anything over 1/4 throttle and it kicks down. I wish I could help more, hopfully someone can shed some light on this situation.

MAULMAUL 03-25-2012 06:52 PM

Lokar makes an excellent cable to fit the C6. It is supposed to be a great improvement over the solid linkage.

wdfp 03-26-2012 10:47 PM

Just a thought here, because they have so much travel and require a separate return spring, but most new holleys come with a little screw tieing the kickdown lever to the throttle arm, did you remove that? The KD linkage shouldn't even begin to move until half throttle or more usually.. If its not that then maybe something inside the trans is not permitting enough travel? It seems really weird that it would cause problems in both directions

PapaBearYuma 03-26-2012 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by wdfp (Post 11629853)
Just a thought here, because they have so much travel and require a separate return spring, but most new holleys come with a little screw tieing the kickdown lever to the throttle arm, did you remove that? The KD linkage shouldn't even begin to move until half throttle or more usually.. If its not that then maybe something inside the trans is not permitting enough travel? It seems really weird that it would cause problems in both directions

I was reviewing the instructions (what a concept!) for the Holley, and noticed that screw. I'll check it out this wkend - thanks!

PapaBearYuma 03-27-2012 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by wdfp (Post 11629853)
Just a thought here, because they have so much travel and require a separate return spring, but most new holleys come with a little screw tieing the kickdown lever to the throttle arm, did you remove that? The KD linkage shouldn't even begin to move until half throttle or more usually

Thank you!

I pulled the screw out, installed my perch kit, and the kickdown mounted right up!

Just got back from a little drive, testing out the passing gear - works great!

wdfp 04-01-2012 12:25 AM

I'm glad it was something simple!