Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   5th wheel hitches (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1149881-5th-wheel-hitches.html)

SavageNFS 03-23-2012 03:10 PM

5th wheel hitches

So my mother is buying a 5th wheel trailer and I was going to buy a B&W Companion as I already have the B&W turnoverball system in my truck. The place selling the 5th wheel trailer is a Colibert dealer and they claim their 208BW is a better hitch than the Companion by B&W. What do you guys think?

Colibert 208BW
http://www.colibert.com/freeridebw.jpg
Disregard the slider in the picture, I don't need that with the trailer she is getting. Only photo I could find quickly. Pic on the left is the hitch in question.

B&W Companion
http://www.turnoverball.com/sites/al...-companion.jpg

The Colibert is slightly less expensive, but only a $150. We are talking about the connection between the truck and the trailer. I don't care about the cost difference. I want the best hitch for my truck. I respect all of your opinions. I've never had a 5th wheel...only goosenecks and tags. So I'm looking for advice. Just don't tell me to pull out the B&W turnoverball system. I love it! I guess I'm thinking this is a no brainer to buy the B&W, but figured I'd ask you all first.

darren32 03-23-2012 03:28 PM

I really like the B&W companion but then again I have never even heard of the Colibert. Since you already have the turnover, the companion would be just too easy IMHO, that is what I would do:-X04

darren32 03-23-2012 03:30 PM

OH looks like either would use the turnover you already have??
Sorry:-X19

720Deere 03-23-2012 03:38 PM

My only concern with the Colibert is weight distribution. Does it focus the load on the gooseneck hitch or the bed of the truck? I would like to see one up close or at least see better pictures of it.

I have been using the Companion hitch for 5 years now in 2 different trucks with no issues. I have seen hitches that are more fancy, but the B&W setup works well and I haven't seen too many hitches that I could say are built stronger. They are also made in the USA! I have owned my share of imports over the years, but lately I prefer to keep my money here in the States where it belongs.

SavageNFS 03-23-2012 03:44 PM

In both designs, both manufactures claim 100% of the weight is distributed to the turnoverball frame bolted to the truck frame. Neither utilize bed support. They both get bolted into the shaft of the gooseneck. Unless someone can come up with a compelling reason against the B&W, I think I'm going that route. Thanks guys.

MisterCMK 03-23-2012 03:55 PM

How many people have you heard of complain about the Companion hitch? IMO it is a no brainer.

SavageNFS 03-23-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by MisterCMK (Post 11614181)
How many people have you heard of complain about the Companion hitch? IMO it is a no brainer.

SOLD! So effing true :-X22

EpicCowlick 03-25-2012 10:18 AM

I just want to complain about the B&W hitch. I hate the fact that I have nothing to complain about. Nothing to modify or make better. Dang thing.

MisterCMK 03-25-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 11621676)
I just want to complain about the B&W hitch. I hate the fact that I have nothing to complain about. Nothing to modify or make better. Dang thing.

A guy from our local chapter bought a dually and it already had the turnover ball in it. He kind of hemmed and hawed about the Companion hitch until he bought it. He is sold on it now. It is an effin sturdy hitch.

SavageNFS 03-26-2012 09:45 PM

So I went and checked out the 5th wheel that my mother purchased today in person. She bought it online from a dealer near me, but she had been inside of one where she lives in Arizona. She bought a really nice Pinnacle. We are doing some work out back to accommodate her new trailer and it is moving along nicely. I'm kind of pumped to pull it home, but it's going to be a couple of weeks at least. She may end up taking it down to my sister's down South for a month or so, so that will be a nice pull too.

ruschejj 03-27-2012 05:46 AM

Better hook up to it and see if you need airbags and an onboard air system so you can work on your ATV tires, etc.....

SavageNFS 03-27-2012 07:30 AM

I talked to the dealership yesterday about a test run to make certain all was well. As soon as I get my bed sprayed and the hitch comes in, I plan on doing it. I have some time to prepare if the truck doesn't respond as well as I think it should. Air bags might be in order...

720Deere 03-27-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SavageNFS (Post 11614126)
In both designs, both manufactures claim 100% of the weight is distributed to the turnoverball frame bolted to the truck frame. Neither utilize bed support. They both get bolted into the shaft of the gooseneck. Unless someone can come up with a compelling reason against the B&W, I think I'm going that route. Thanks guys.

You may want to look over the B&W installation instructions thoroughly and rethink that statement. The Companion hitch distributes 100% of the vertical load onto the bed of the truck while horizontal pull is handled by the gooseneck portion of the hitch. Once you pin the Companion stud into the gooseneck hitch, you draw the Companion down to the truck bed actually pulling the gooseneck stud upwards. At this point it is not possible for the hitch to put any vertical load on the gooseneck.

I'm not saying that this is a bad thing at all. The truck bed is designed to carry the weight and this design helps somewhat with weight distribution. The point of my previous comment was that the Colbert looks to not distribute the weight as well as the B&W if it does indeed transfer weight to the truck bed. Overall I would buy the B&W Companion all over again given the chance. I didn't order the factory prep kit on my 2011 because I already had the Companion and just buying the turnover ball hitch was the cheapest route to go.

SavageNFS 03-27-2012 12:18 PM

I don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but I believe you are putting more thought into it than I did in my statement. My statement is also vague and poorly worded :D

Don't get me wrong, you are right and I concur to a point. I don't agree that all of the load is in the bed of the truck. Most of the vertical load starts in the bed, sure. It appears that the bed is designed to disperse it directly into the frame. Based on the placement of the B&W supports, the B&W will do a better job of transferring that weight than the Colbert. The Colbert looks like it will strain the bed more because of it's narrower stance and less surface area in contact with the bed in relation to where the frame support is at under the bed. I should have just said the B&W looks more stout and has a wider stance and in my mind will provide more stability towing. If I'm more confident behind the wheel, that's worth making the decision to go B&W. In the end, simple is usually better.

720Deere 03-27-2012 01:43 PM

No offense taken! It isn't really putting a lot of thought into it, it is more of a 5 years of experience installing & removing the hitch and towing with it. My goal was merely to correct the statement that 100% of the load is put onto the gooseneck hitch bolted onto the frame. The plain hard facts are that the Companion hitch when installed per the manufacturer's directions can't possibly transfer any weight (vertical load) onto the turnover ball hitch.

I just don't want anybody to get confused and think that the Companion works differently than it does. I have seen people towing with them installed backwards and I have seen people tow with them not even pinned into the turnover ball hitch. This is the only downfall that I see with the Companion vs. a rail type hitch. It is too easy to install and use improperly.