Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   lowering the TPMS in new 2012 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1149827-lowering-the-tpms-in-new-2012-a.html)

superfast bob 03-23-2012 11:09 AM

lowering the TPMS in new 2012

So before I pick up my new KR F350 I want the dealer to lower the trigger values on the TPMS, can we do it or is this a dealer only variable? thanks bob

8iron 03-23-2012 12:27 PM

It can only be done by a dealer IF you find a dealer willing to do it...I haven't found one yet. Guys with tuners have said they can change it themselves but I can't confirm that personally.

biz4two 03-23-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by superfast bob (Post 11613076)
So before I pick up my new KR F350 I want the dealer to lower the trigger values on the TPMS, can we do it or is this a dealer only variable? thanks bob

So...is there a target psi you are looking for?

I ask...because I thought if you run 10 psi lower than recommended from the VIN door sticker...no alert would come on. I am pretty sure I read that here at FTE.

biz
:-X21

2000silverbullet 03-24-2012 06:47 AM

I thought this was going to be a larger issue for me at first, but hasn't been until I throw a set of Toyo's on it (65psi max, but will run at 50/55), my factory tires are sitting at 65psi in the rear and 70 in the front. No light.

Like 8iron said, a dealer can do, it's if they will. It's ridiculous if you ask me, the TPMS nonsense is for cars under 10k GVWR from what I've read, so for us SD owners over that, they should move it to whatever we want. They even offer TPMS delete now on the '12's (fleet only, but still....).

Super08 04-07-2012 06:28 PM

I managed to talk my dealer here in Canada into lowering my rear settings on my 2011. I had the rears lowered to 60 from 80. So now the alarm should go off around 55. Before the alarm would go off at 75. It really helped being able to run lower air pressure in the rears for the winter as I don't carry much weight around. Just when towing in the summer.

kmonty2 04-08-2012 10:02 AM

Just trying to figure out why you would want this. I have found that with the higher psi in the tires I get better gas millage. I did think the opposite would be true, lower would yield better results. My be with the 18" wheels with the 3.73 makes a difference?

Super08 04-08-2012 10:09 AM

Over time running 80 psi with no load will cause the center of the tread to wear out faster than the outside. It also gives you a better ride somewhat and the biggest reason is for better traction in the winter months. No load and 80 psi in your tires at -40 temps is like driving on skates. Before TPMS I used to run 45 in the rears during the winter.

militarymetal 04-08-2012 06:13 PM

I went to different tires and the little light's been on ever since. Dealer wanted to charge me a diagnostic fee. I'll live with the little light.

superfast bob 04-09-2012 11:49 AM

biz4two; I had planned on 55 or 50 as the low target pressure as I don't want the dash light on just because I'm running 68lbs and its -10 below. I can add air to haul or run softer in the winter. Running 80 all the time makes my current King Ranch ride stiff empty but 68 is smoother.
My 6.2 comes in this week so the fun of owning new begins again......bob

92f150I6 04-09-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kmonty2 (Post 11682236)
Just trying to figure out why you would want this. I have found that with the higher psi in the tires I get better gas millage. I did think the opposite would be true, lower would yield better results. My be with the 18" wheels with the 3.73 makes a difference?

Even in my older truck, running the recommended 80 Psi in the rear when unloaded causes an extremely harsh ride, and darn nere wants to make the rear end come around when hitting any sort of rough road. I run 50 Psi all the way around, drives better, and tires wear even all the way across.

biz4two 04-09-2012 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by superfast bob (Post 11686061)
biz4two; I had planned on 55 or 50 as the low target pressure as I don't want the dash light on just because I'm running 68lbs and its -10 below. I can add air to haul or run softer in the winter. Running 80 all the time makes my current King Ranch ride stiff empty but 68 is smoother.
My 6.2 comes in this week so the fun of owning new begins again......bob

Understand...and agree. I also run less air in my tires with my current SD for a better ride and tire wear.

IMHO...it seems like the FORD system is not very flexible to the Owner's needs. Guess I'll find out when I receive my ordered 2012 SD 6.2L by ends month.

biz
;)

kmonty2 04-10-2012 07:26 AM

Ok, after my next dill up I am going to lower my tire pressure and see how it rides. I am also going to monitor the MPG's with the lower pressure. Since I raised it to 70/65 I have been around 12 mpg in the city.

Super08 04-10-2012 10:37 AM

Kevin your advantage is that you have a 250 and not a 350. Your tire pressure alarms are set from the factory at the same level on your rears as is what the fronts are set at. You can lower yours down to about 55 without having the alarm go off without doing a thing. It is a bugger when you cannot get them down below 75. Mind you I don't have that problem any more. I have heard that the American dealers are stickier about changing the settings than the Canadian dealers. Something to do with the laws down there that brought TPMS into place to begin with. Have to dummy up everything for everyone to make up for the ones that are not capable of checking their tires.

kmonty2 04-10-2012 10:58 AM

I see your point, the 250 should ride a little better then the 350 empty. Which is why I proberly do see much of a difference with the height psi. But I do see a difference in mpg jumpwith more air. I am still going to see what happens.

Super08 04-10-2012 03:30 PM

Yes your mileage will improve with higher air pressure in the tires as it will lower the rolling resistance. Lower rolling resistance also equals lower traction, so like everything else it is a give and take thing. That is why I don't like TPMS on a truck as depending on what you are doing, hauling or not hauling your requirements change. With a car they pretty much stay the same.