Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   2005 Escape brake issues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1149628-2005-escape-brake-issues.html)

db_tanker 03-22-2012 04:51 PM

2005 Escape brake issues

okay...I am having a bit of an issue here and would like some feedback, mebbe a good nudge in the right direction...

the wife's 2005 escape 4x4, 4 wheel disc was having a bit of a brake issue...the right side caliper was seemingly hanging. figured hell, its just a warped piston so went to parts house, got me two fresh calipers and installed. something of note here however...and something that SHOULD have flashed warning signs but didn't. :( ON bleeding the calipers, the drivers side was fine. no issues. on the passenger side, the one giving issues, I tried to gravity bleed (this is my normal sequence, ever since I worked in a shop years and years ago...gravity bleed and then have someone pump and hold, otherwise if I am by myself I will use the trusty old vacuum pump and a catch container, I had a brake pedal operator though so I did it that way) and was able to get NOTHING out...(yeah...cap was off master cylinder as well...) so I got the person to pump it up, but it seemed like it wasn't flowing as much as the driver side caliper...

and now we come to the present...and we still have the same issue...as the vehicle has ABS I am thinking the brake ABS block below the master cylinder also has the job of being the brake distribution/proportioning valve...that is the only other thing it could really be as there is only one line coming out of the master cylinder for the front, and one out for the rear...

IS there a simple way to check the ABS distribution block? The ABS is NOT throwing a code so there is no obvious sensor or electrical issue...

has ANYONE run into this? PLEASE help me out here...redneck in need of assistance here. :)

D

Nitramjr 03-22-2012 05:31 PM

Any chance it is something simple like a twisted or damaged rubber line that goes to the caliper?

db_tanker 03-23-2012 12:03 PM

you know...I would almost think that were the case...but with it being intermittent I don't think it is.

The rubber lines going to the caliper from the strut were both in good shape, no cracking or skiving.

no visible metal line damage on the lines from the block to the 4 wheels.

thanks! :)

D

Archion 03-23-2012 12:55 PM

The rubber lines can collapse internally, leaving no visible signs. The are a multi layer affair. Pull it ahead of the line and see if you get anything.

tomw 03-23-2012 04:04 PM

From what I have figured out, you have to have a Rotunda or Teves or proprietary machine to bleed ABS equipped vehicles. The pump in the ABS system will not kick in to push the fluid out, and I think it needs to be energized to bleed. I don't think it is real expensive to have a dealer or shop do it. But then again, I liked the Edsel when it came out... heh.
tom

db_tanker 03-29-2012 07:49 PM

well tomw you are incorrect sir.

according to the factory service manual I managed to get ahold of you can either do a standard "pump and hold" bleed, gravity bleed, or use the Rotunda system.

And I also managed to localize on the issue...

it is the master cylinder....specifically, the "compensator ports" inside the master cylinder.

all is now well again. :)

thanks for the suggestions folks.
D

tomw 03-30-2012 07:13 AM

darrel, gotta differ.
According to the FoMoCo DVD I have, to bleed the HCU, ABS Hydraulic Control Unit, you must use the diagnostic "worldwide diagnostic system vehicle communication module", which you connect and then then navigate to the 'system bleed function'. That procedure removes trapped air from the HCU. No other method is described. If you have air in the HCU, you will need it done by someone with access to a specialized tool to energize the unit properly, and the description notes: "Adequate voltage to the HCU module is required during the anti-lock control portion of the system bleed"
Manual, drip or powered bleeding of the rest of the hydraulic system works as you state.
I note this for those who do not have access to diagnostic materials. If someone has ABS and needs their system bled, they may very well have to use the proprietary or other electronic device to activate the HCU pump motor. Per the book, it cannot be done without.
tom

israel08 04-11-2012 07:35 PM

tengo problemas con el 4x4 de la escape 2005, cuando voy a la playa me atasco en la arena porqe el 4x4 no se activa. que puedo hacer???

tomw 04-12-2012 05:55 AM

Israel, start a new story about your 4 wheel drive problem. You can also read about those kind of problems in the "Clutch,Transmission..." section:

Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

tom