Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1994 F150 XL Need Info on Airbag light ! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1147800-1994-f150-xl-need-info-on-airbag-light.html)

jterrell 03-15-2012 08:24 PM

1994 F150 XL Need Info on Airbag light !

Ok ya Guys on here have been very helpful ,, Recently posed on here about Airbag Light flashing a code (32) , knew when I got the truck , previous owner had changed out bumpers. It is apparent he didn't tell me everything!!! try to use the horn and find out it doesn't work , The truck has a E40D tranns. and the OD shift button only works around 40-45 mph . When you turn the Ign. switch on a series of 5 beeps continues 5 times , plus the Airbag light flashing a 3-2 code!! I have driven this Truck for 7 yrs. with the light flashing this code but no sounds from under the dash . Now it is very annoying to listen to this beeping sound when you start , and sometimes it will beep when your driving it . What the heck do you do to stop it??? Been told to change the airbag bulb in the cluster to stop it , Another said you have to remove Airbag on steering wheel , remove steering wheel to get to the problem ! Never done this before so any help here would help!!!!! If anyone knows what I can do to stop this crazy sound ;PLEASE , tell ! Is the horn tied into this problem also? Or is that another issue? I just want to fix it Right!!

88n94 03-15-2012 09:07 PM

I'll take a wild stab at the beeping sound. I have to ask you does your volts guage work? The guage that tells you how well your alternator is working. On my 1994 F-150, I get a beeping sound and my volts guage stops working. There is a certain fuse that blows out in the fuse box under the dash. That fuse on my F-150 has been blowing from time to time with no rhyme or reason. If your volts guage is working, you can probably disregard this post.

Speicher 03-15-2012 09:44 PM

The series of 5 sets of 5 beeps is an indication that there is a minimum of two faults, first your original concern that flashes the indicator, second that the indicator circuit is no longer operational. The tones of 5 sets of 5 beeps should of began when the air bag indicator became inoperative. This is the reasoning behind recommendations to replace the bulb you recieved. Even though this will not repair your original concern, repairing the air bag warning lamp circuit will elimate the tones. This is a redundant system to make sure the operator is aware their is a failure in the air bag system. Most probable cause of the warning lamp failure is the bulb itself. To gain access to the bulb, pull headlamp switch out, their is a small notch in the back of the knob depress the spring retainer pulling it toward you, releasing the knob, pulling it of the shaft. Remove the trim panels left and rt of the column, held in with snap retaining clips. Behind these two small trim panels there are two screws. remove these and the rest of the panel is held in by the same snap retainers. Carefully remove the retainers a section at a time pulling out on the face trim panel. Unplug fuel tank selector switch if equipped. Four screws remove the cluster, may be necessary to remove shift indicator or cable if you have an automatic trans. Sometimes you can grasp the bulb thru the front of the cluster and remove and replace the bulb with needle nose pliers. Inspect the bulb, hopefully its nothing more than the bulb otherwise further diagnosis is required.

ncranchero 03-16-2012 05:48 AM

Again, the beeping is indicating the SRS indicator lamp has malfunctioned, bulb burned out (from driving it 7 years with it on!) Speicher has given you a good procedure for replacing the bulb. Since you have now posted the code, 32, it indicates "Driver Side Air Bag Module High Resistance or Open" and that along with your statement that your horn doesn't work would seem to point to the clockspring (sliding contact) under the steering wheel being bad. The air bag sensors are not on the bumper so the previous owner changing that out is irrelevant to your problem. The sensors are mounted on the inside of the radiator support. Forget the sensors though as they are not your "priority" problem with the SRS. Replace the bulb and the clockspring and your SRS will be operative again and your face will be much happier on occasion that you meet with an opposing object. See diagram and discussion. Posted part number is F4TZ-14A664-B and there are some on EBAY or from one of the SPONSORS here.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...lockspring.gif

Ford clockspring replacement - YouTube

jterrell 03-21-2012 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ncranchero (Post 11581102)
Again, the beeping is indicating the SRS indicator lamp has malfunctioned, bulb burned out (from driving it 7 years with it on!) Speicher has given you a good procedure for replacing the bulb. Since you have now posted the code, 32, it indicates "Driver Side Air Bag Module High Resistance or Open" and that along with your statement that your horn doesn't work would seem to point to the clockspring (sliding contact) under the steering wheel being bad. The air bag sensors are not on the bumper so the previous owner changing that out is irrelevant to your problem. The sensors are mounted on the inside of the radiator support. Forget the sensors though as they are not your "priority" problem with the SRS. Replace the bulb and the clockspring and your SRS will be operative again and your face will be much happier on occasion that you meet with an opposing object. See diagram and discussion. Posted part number is F4TZ-14A664-B and there are some on EBAY or from one of the SPONSORS here.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...lockspring.gif

Ford clockspring replacement - YouTube

Want to say Thanks to you ncranchero and Speicher for your info , super help with my problems , thanks again! Now it seems everything is turning against me ,, wow,, went to parts house yesterday driving truck to get clock spring and bulb to replace ,, and worked on wife's vehicle to fix her problem,, went to start truck again and now it won't start at all!!! I'm a fair hand at fixing most things ,, but this is starting to test me . Haven't had chance to change that clock spring and bulb out yet , but that shouldn't have anything to do with the truck running ,, Right??? Guess everything is starting to catch up to me on my Old Faithful White Nellie!!! LOL Don't know if ya guys name your trucks on here , but I do !! :) I'm not a beer drinker , but these problem's one after the other are heading me to drink!!!!! ( just kidding ) You think I need to run tester again , koeo, to find possible problem , seems at this point all I can do , being , I can't get it to start yet!!! What do you all think this could be?? Blown fuse , all can tell you at this point is ,, turned key to start , and that was it ,, engine does turn over but not starting !!!!

jterrell 03-21-2012 09:22 AM

Thank You ,, ncranchero and Speicher for your help ,, Super!!!! It seems I'm being tested here or something ! LOL Went to pick up clock spring and new bulb , also picked up a few things to fix wife's vehicle , Don't get tired of me on here !!! But seems I'm caught in a DOMINO Effect with my truck ,, But any way , parts house gave me wrong part , sooooo,, jumped in truck ( haven't had chance to change clock spring and bulb yet ) and GEE, NOW THE TRUCK WON'T START !!!! So more info from you is going to be a big Help on here! All I can do at this point is run tester (koeo) and see if it will give me a code ,, and try checking fuse's . Truck will turn over with no problem with key , just not hitting !!!!

ncranchero 03-21-2012 06:27 PM

I'll warn you! If you mention my name more than once your fuel pump will go out! Fuel pumps hate me. Uh-oh, you need to delete one of my mentions above or you're done for.
What are your symptoms? You hear the fuel pump whirring when you turn on the ignition switch? Have you reset the inertia switch?

jterrell 03-22-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ncranchero (Post 11605414)
I'll warn you! If you mention my name more than once your fuel pump will go out! Fuel pumps hate me. Uh-oh, you need to delete one of my mentions above or you're done for.
What are your symptoms? You hear the fuel pump whirring when you turn on the ignition switch? Have you reset the inertia switch?

Ok here is what I have done so far , I did check the fuses but could not find any blown, used a light tester , now considering the fact I do not have the owners manual to the truck , The relays and fuses in the engine compartment are not labeled to let you know what they are ! So used a cheap Haynes Manual to compare (some what helpful ) I do know that tester showed a 542 code (fuel pump circuit open connection -electronic control assembly to motor ground ) ,, Have many issues with my truck it seems ,, Air bag light , clock spring ,, ignition key lock cylinder ,, could go on and on!!! But trying to fix them one at a time Ok been told that inertia switch is located on passenger side by the hump but on fire wall (??) there is also a kick panel on passenger side that seems to have a little black box with a small connector to it , with a small well on top that you can stick your finger down in ( feels like a button inside) ,, take it that this is it! Now it doesn't seem tripped or that button would be popped up I would think not sure on that tho . Should I disconnect and reset ? And to answer your question back a ways , before I got to rambling here ,, NO you can not hear the pump whirl (hum ) when you turn on ignition , that is one of the first things I noticed ( after I disconnected the PCM SO i COULD LISTEN FOR IT LOL ) Remember that annoying beeping , couldn't hear above it , LOL then find a little gizmo behind the box its self that was doing the buzzing!!! Guess I need to rehook the PCM back up and disconnect that little Gizmo that seems to be the noisy one !!! But back to problem,, any suggestions at this point will help ,, Will be working again on it today to see what I can accomplish ,,, Don't know times you get on here but will check thru out the day and night to see what you suggest , or can tell me !!!

ncranchero 03-22-2012 12:48 PM

IIRC my code last week was also 542. I had a spare center tank pump so I plugged it in and it worked. Plugged my tank back up, no work. Put the new pump in, works great. I do believe I've rubbed off on you.:-X16

jterrell 03-22-2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ncranchero (Post 11608878)
IIRC my code last week was also 542. I had a spare center tank pump so I plugged it in and it worked. Plugged my tank back up, no work. Put the new pump in, works great. I do believe I've rubbed off on you.:-X16

Thanks ncranchero !!!!!!! What else Can I do at this point ,

jterrell 03-22-2012 01:25 PM

Hey ncranchero, you know where I can find a owners manual for this 1994 F 150 , was hoping I could possible find out which fuses and relays go to what under this hood!

ncranchero 03-22-2012 01:29 PM

Is your truck a single fuel tank? Check for momentary power on both sides of that inertia switch you found.(correct, if the button is down it's not popped. They are bad to toast the terminals though.) I just bought the pump off of eBay, a no-name one even, $40, have bought several of them & had no problems.

ncranchero 03-22-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by jterrell (Post 11608965)
Hey ncranchero, you know where I can find a owners manual for this 1994 F 150 , was hoping I could possible find out which fuses and relays go to what under this hood!

This is one from my past 95 F150. It "should" be the same.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ibution007.jpg

ncranchero 03-22-2012 01:42 PM

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...H/Fusebox1.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...H/Fusebox2.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...H/Fusebox3.jpg

jterrell 03-23-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ncranchero (Post 11608982)
Is your truck a single fuel tank? Check for momentary power on both sides of that inertia switch you found.(correct, if the button is down it's not popped. They are bad to toast the terminals though.) I just bought the pump off of eBay, a no-name one even, $40, have bought several of them & had no problems.

Ok here we go ,,,, Can't tell you what I did , that made the truck start back up one time yesterday! Unless I'm doing something wrong , can not seem to find any bad fuses either . Just before it started , I had just unhooked the Inertia switch connector , popped button up then back down , plugged it back up , disconnected the PCM plugs , re- plugged back up . Then in Engine compartment ,, moved fuses (relays ) around ,,, hooked tester up , turn Ignition key on , took codes ! Weird then it read a system pass (confused) ,,, took a deep breath and tryed to start it , and it fired right up At first got a little excited I admit ,, but then asked myself what caused this to start with! Let it run for about ,,OHHH,,, say 5 mins or so . Shut it off then tryed to restart again ! Right back to problem again ,, same code now ,,,,542 fuel pump circuit open connection / electronic control assembly (ECA) to motor ground ,,,, What is that code trying to tell me ? circuit open I get ,, but the ECA to motor ground ,,I don't ! Now this code comes from my code scanner book , The Haynes Manual I have says same thing just words it a little different ,, fuel pump circuit open /PCM to motor ,, I take that is the same thing ! Now I tryed to use a paper clip to bypass Inertia , to see if that was problem , But no response ( unless I did it wrong) ,, tryed to repeat what I supposedly did just before it started ,,,,, but no response yet ,, same code !!! Is there a way to jump the fuel pump itself while in tank to see if it will energize ??? And almost forgot ,, yes I have dual tanks ,, I use Drivers side only ,,, because the switch over valve seems to be out also when I got it ,,, so left it alone!!!