Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Integrated Brake Controller & Electric-over-Hydraulic Trailer Brakes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1147250-integrated-brake-controller-and-electric-over-hydraulic-trailer-brakes.html)

Eharv 03-13-2012 05:26 PM

Integrated Brake Controller & Electric-over-Hydraulic Trailer Brakes

I just got a new 2012----had a 2008 and on it the brake controller was not compatible with my electric-over-hydraulic trailer brake system and I had to disconnect the Ford brake controller.

I understand that with the 2012 Ford Brake Controller that it is compatible with many hydraulic brake systems. In the Owners Manual it states to contact your Ford Dealer to find out what hydraulic systems it works. I have; however, so far my dealer has not found out anything.

I have a Dexter electric-over-hydraulic trailer brake system purchased in 2010 now on my trailer. How can I find out more specific info on the Ford Brake Controller and if it will work with my Dexter electric-over-hydraulic system. (I've called Dexter and cannot tell me.)
Thanks.

djousma 03-13-2012 05:31 PM

Try it and see what happens?

RV_Tech 03-13-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by djousma (Post 11569779)
Try it and see what happens?

Agree, this is such a main stream manufacturer, it is hard to imagine it not working with Dexter.

Steve

ruschejj 03-13-2012 06:37 PM

In our menu for trailer brakes we can choose electric over hydraulic, so I guess the current is adjusted for your system.

Where u at? I would be happy to let you try it out with my truck.

Eharv 03-13-2012 07:37 PM

Thanks, it might be a little for for you to let me try yours out. I am in Austin. I just would like to find out where I can get specific info from Ford on the Brake Controller----especially since my Ford Dealer & Service Department still has been unable to do so. The owners manual stated to contact dealer to get list of electric-over-hydraulic systems compatible and obtain info.

I have not taken delivery of truck yet----being "customized". :)

I used Prodigy 2 on the 2008 after having the controller disconnected.

RV_Tech 03-13-2012 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eharv (Post 11570344)
Thanks, it might be a little for for you to let me try yours out. I am in Austin. I just would like to find out where I can get specific info from Ford on the Brake Controller----especially since my Ford Dealer & Service Department still has been unable to do so. The owners manual stated to contact dealer to get list of electric-over-hydraulic systems compatible and obtain info.

I have not taken delivery of truck yet----being "customized". :)

I used Prodigy 2 on the 2008 after having the controller disconnected.

As I understand the difference, the electric/hydraulic resistance is different than a pure electric, throwing off the old controller. Several folks have posted noting the controller still worked, but threw an error message. I haven't worked with one first hand.

I would contact the brake manufacturer, if you have a specific interest as they have a greater interest in this issue than Ford, IMHO.

Steve

Ex Factor 03-13-2012 08:05 PM

I had new 2012 boat trailer built w/ dual axle elect over hyd disc brakes. Towed 2,400 miles ( down to fla & back) a few weeks ago to pick up my new boat.
All worked great!
Fueled up w/ big boys at truck stops.

RV_Tech 03-13-2012 08:07 PM

For those with a good deal of curiosity on this topic, there is bountiful information covering it on the Internet.

Steve

porthole 03-13-2012 08:23 PM

The manufacturer of the electro/hydraulic pump is the one to tell you if it works, not Ford.
Who makes the pump for Dexter? Is it a Carlisle pump? They are compatible.

RV_Tech 03-13-2012 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by porthole (Post 11570628)
The manufacturer of the electro/hydraulic pump is the one to tell you if it works, not Ford.
Who makes the pump for Dexter? Is it a Carlisle pump? They are compatible.

Agree,

Steve

glsurratt 03-14-2012 06:02 AM

My Dexter Electric over Hydraulic brakes on my 2007 triple axle worked flawlessly with my 2006 F-350 and work even better with the2011 F-450 since I can tell the truck what kind of brakes I have on the trailer.

Eharv 03-14-2012 02:10 PM

Thanks to all. I did get response back from Dexter' Project Manager who said that the 2012 Ford Integrated Brake Controller worked with the Dexter hydraulic systems but the GMC & Dodge did not.
Also got message from my Ford Dealer that the brake controller was compatible with Dexter electric-over-hydraulic brake systems.
Thanks to all.

Shepardsonp 03-14-2012 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eharv (Post 11569767)
I just got a new 2012----had a 2008 and on it the brake controller was not compatible with my electric-over-hydraulic trailer brake system and I had to disconnect the Ford brake controller.

I understand that with the 2012 Ford Brake Controller that it is compatible with many hydraulic brake systems. In the Owners Manual it states to contact your Ford Dealer to find out what hydraulic systems it works. I have; however, so far my dealer has not found out anything.

I have a Dexter electric-over-hydraulic trailer brake system purchased in 2010 now on my trailer. How can I find out more specific info on the Ford Brake Controller and if it will work with my Dexter electric-over-hydraulic system. (I've called Dexter and cannot tell me.)
Thanks.

My 5th wheel has EOH and my Motorcycle Trailer has traditional Electric brakes, I have had no issues with switching between either systems.

porthole 03-26-2012 05:11 PM

Your going to like that new controller.

StevieRay2 06-02-2012 07:58 AM

We have a new 2012 F-250 6.7 and pull a 31ft. Classic Airstream with electric/hydraulic disc brakes. I've noticed the brakes will not lock up when you move the manual override to full braking. I called Dexter and was told the Ford IBC works well with their system. I went to the Ford place and finally found the corrrect person to show me how to change from electric to electric/hydraulic. I thought that would make a difference but the next time I towed it was the same. I am setting the gain up to 9.5 when towing. I know the trailer brakes are working some because when I release the truck brakes you can feel the trailer brakes release. The disc are also nice and shiney. But in the driveway I can move the manual lever over and let off the brakes and the trailer just moves right along with the truck. I've hooked back up to my old tow vehicle (Expedition with Prodigy controller) and it works fine. We've done a lot of towing lately and I've kept a good distance between me and the next guy. I also tow a 24ft. car hauler with electric brakes and they work fine with the Ford IBC. Is anyone else having this problem? I thought the brakes locked up no matter what when you applied the manual override. Maybe I don't understand the system. Any help will be appreciated. Steve