Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   F250 SD Idler Belt Tensioner Pulley Help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1146744-f250-sd-idler-belt-tensioner-pulley-help.html)

mikeclinch 03-11-2012 08:09 PM

F250 SD Idler Belt Tensioner Pulley Help

Just recently I've been hearing a buzzing noise from the serpentine belt
area in my truck, after inspection it apears that the belt tensioner pulley
is coming apart, the pulley appears ok its the arm that holds the pulley
is separating from the portion that bolts to the engine causing the belt
not to sit entirely on the pulley, I want to replace it, what is the easiest
way to access this as it appears to be a royal pain in the @%$* to get to

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

BigSilly86 03-11-2012 10:50 PM

I would suggest bringing it in to a professional to change it, because I've had to change it myself one time on a F-150 and it was a royal PIA... I just had the belt tensioner changed on my 6.4l under warranty. ( the mech noticed it had heavy wear when the truck was in for a cab-off job.)

senix 03-12-2012 09:13 AM

It is covered under the 100K engine warranty. They will want to hear it before they will change it. Be advised there are two pullys.

2x6 bulldog 03-12-2012 09:45 AM

I got mine changed under 100K warranty but the dealer refused to change it until it broke while I was going down the I 85 in the snow. I had to be towed to the dealer.

galaxie641 03-12-2012 07:23 PM

Had mine fixed under warranty, it would chirp at idle when under about 30 degree's, also got a new belt covered as it was chewed up too. Worked out good being around 80K miles, probably needed a new belt anyway. May have been coincidence but my fan clutch was also sticking on and replaced shortly afterwards.

Mleblanc1 03-13-2012 09:33 PM

Changed mine a few weeks ago. I got an aftermarket brand in hopes that it wouldnt happen again. Its a pretty basic installation...well it seems like it should be. All that has to be done is unbolt the old tensior, bolt on new one, and release the locking pin. However, it has to be dont from underneath the truck and fitting a wrench in between the fan blades is a little tough. It took me a little while to do it but it really wasnt that bad, and now i know what to do in the future. Dealer wanted 400 and a day with the truck...i paid fifty and changed tensioner in under an hour

JTPass 03-16-2012 07:06 AM

I brought my 2008 F350 job 1, with just under 60,000 miles, to the dealer for an oil change. When I picked up the truck he advised that the idler pulley didn't sound good so he changed it and the belt under warranty. I bring my truck to this dealer in Londonderry, NH for regular service and consider myself lucky to have found such a good dealer. On a subsequent visit they replaced a ball joint (under the extended warranty) because there was some play in it.

Jim

fomocotrucks 09-28-2012 07:39 AM

Belt Tensioner Pulley - Not Covered by Warranty

My Belt Tensioner Pulley has failed and my local dealer will not replace under warranty. So I emailed Ford Customer Service about the issue. Good thing is they responded. Bad thing is they didn't answer anything. Email Below

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sep 27, 2012 11:58 AM
Subject: Ford Motor Company
To: <xxxxx@gmail.com>

Hi xxxx,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your 2008 Ford F-250. My name is Charles and I am happy to assist you.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. To clarify this issue, I called J. Wilderman Autoplex and spoke with Service Adviser xxxxx xxxxx. According to her they have not diagnosed your vehicle yet and you just talked on the phone. They also advised you that the Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley is not covered by the Powerstroke Diesel Engine warranty. For specific warranty information please refer to your warranty guide available at www.motorcraftservice.com.

At this time, we highly recommend that your vehicle be inspected by your servicing Ford Dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. They have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to help diagnose your vehicle.

To schedule a service appointment please contact your local dealer or visit Official Ford Owner Site | Schedule Vehicle Maintenance, Get Tips, Advice & Coupons and click on the “Locate a Dealer” feature to find contact information for dealers in your area.

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Sincerely,
Charles
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm EST (Monday-Friday) or 9:00am and 5:30pm EST (Saturday). Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Should you need it in the future, your reference number is 1461692712.

For online support visit us at: Owner Support which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Ford Confidentiality:
--------------------
For security reasons, please do not submit any sensitive personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, DOB, etc. Thank you.

[THREAD ID:1-6DF4LC]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/26/2012 04:30:29 PM
To:
Subject: Vehicle Warranty Questions

Ford Motor Company
Main Topic: Vehicle Warranty Questions
Your Inquiry: Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley has broken. Dealer insist that it is not covered by warranty All internet related searches indicated this is covered by the 5yr 100,000mi Warranty. As many other owners of the 6.4L have had this replaced under warranty
Owner: Yes
Vehicle Identification Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mileage: 91060
Vehicle Location: InPossession
If Contacted Dealer: Yes
Dealer Name: J. Wildeman Autoplex Mt. Carmel Illinois

Mleblanc1 09-28-2012 07:56 AM

I think some people are having these replaced under warranty. Maybe someone will chime in and post if there is a TSB for the issue. If you decide to replace it yourself and have any questions let me know. Its not that bad to do the job. Id recommend changing out the belt at the same time as well

senix 09-28-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by fomocotrucks (Post 12316661)
My Belt Tensioner Pulley has failed and my local dealer will not replace under warranty. So I emailed Ford Customer Service about the issue. Good thing is they responded. Bad thing is they didn't answer anything. Email Below

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sep 27, 2012 11:58 AM
Subject: Ford Motor Company
To: <XXXXX@GMAIL.COM>

Hi xxxx,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your 2008 Ford F-250. My name is Charles and I am happy to assist you.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. To clarify this issue, I called J. Wilderman Autoplex and spoke with Service Adviser xxxxx xxxxx. According to her they have not diagnosed your vehicle yet and you just talked on the phone. They also advised you that the Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley is not covered by the Powerstroke Diesel Engine warranty. For specific warranty information please refer to your warranty guide available at www.motorcraftservice.com.

At this time, we highly recommend that your vehicle be inspected by your servicing Ford Dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. They have factory trained technicians, comprehensive service information and specialized equipment to help diagnose your vehicle.

To schedule a service appointment please contact your local dealer or visit Official Ford Owner Site | Schedule Vehicle Maintenance, Get Tips, Advice & Coupons and click on the “Locate a Dealer” feature to find contact information for dealers in your area.

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Sincerely,
Charles
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm EST (Monday-Friday) or 9:00am and 5:30pm EST (Saturday). Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Should you need it in the future, your reference number is 1461692712.

For online support visit us at: Owner Support which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Ford Confidentiality:
--------------------
For security reasons, please do not submit any sensitive personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, DOB, etc. Thank you.

[THREAD ID:1-6DF4LC]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/26/2012 04:30:29 PM
To:
Subject: Vehicle Warranty Questions

Ford Motor Company
Main Topic: Vehicle Warranty Questions
Your Inquiry: Serpentine Belt Tensioner Pulley has broken. Dealer insist that it is not covered by warranty All internet related searches indicated this is covered by the 5yr 100,000mi Warranty. As many other owners of the 6.4L have had this replaced under warranty
Owner: Yes
Vehicle Identification Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mileage: 91060
Vehicle Location: InPossession
If Contacted Dealer: Yes
Dealer Name: J. Wildeman Autoplex Mt. Carmel Illinois

If you are under the 5 year 100K warranty it is covered. Go to another dealer. needs to be squeaking when you take it in so they can verify the concern.

wp6529 09-28-2012 09:56 AM

Reviewing the warranty guide I do not see where the tensioner idler is actually covered under the 5/100 engine warranty:

http://wpnet.us/warranty_guide.pdf

There is a TSB for chirping idlers:

http://wpnet.us/TSB09-09-08.pdf

It appears that the idler would be covered under ESP if you have it:

http://wpnet.us/PremiumCAREBrochure.pdf

fomocotrucks 09-28-2012 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 12316769)
If you are under the 5 year 100K warranty it is covered. Go to another dealer. needs to be squeaking when you take it in so they can verify the concern.

The tensionor has separated, only about 1/2 the belt is running on the pulley.

senix 09-28-2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by fomocotrucks (Post 12317254)
The tensionor has separated, only about 1/2 the belt is running on the pulley.

If you look each part up under oasis then warranty can be determined. That is what I had my SA do before I had the work done.

galaxie641 09-28-2012 02:06 PM

Mine was done under the 5/100K and the dealer that did it is a PITA when it comes to a lot of warranty stuff.

Brandon D 09-28-2012 04:29 PM

I also had mine replaced under warranty. Of course I couldn't get the thing to make any noise the day I brought it in but they didn't care and they actually changed both tensioners while they were in there. I had them do the belts as well and they only charged me for the belts and no labor.