Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   56 f500 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1145332-56-f500.html)

56 kid 03-06-2012 10:11 AM

56 f500

ok so im new to this me and my dad have talked about doing auto transport as he is now retired and we both love the classics i stumbled upon a 56 f500. so we have decided to put a 460 with a automatic in it but looking at suspension and drive axels just looking for ideas as to what would work as this will be a driver and will be hauling a 2 car trailer interior will be updated with air ride seats gps and some creature comforts while still retaining the factory dash, we would like to put in a air ride suspension with disk brakes all the way around it and would require new rims as well any input and ideas are always appreciated.

CharlieLed 03-06-2012 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am not well-versed on the Big Jobs but if I were to build/buy a truck to haul vehicles this would be my model...

56 kid 03-06-2012 10:42 AM

we actually thought about that at one time but we wanted to pull a trailer as we both have mustangs and going to the track we would want to be able to pull both of them, this will have alot of highway miles on it as we plan on using it for a small business of transporting cars so we are talke cross country trips, the idea is still up there for extending the cab and making it into a sleeper possibly but who knows the truck is being delivered tonight and the garage isnt even built yet. we have alot of things going on this spring but its always good to have a plan

HT32BSX115 03-06-2012 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 56 kid (Post 11536864)
ok so im new to this me and my dad have talked about doing auto transport as he is now retired and we both love the classics i stumbled upon a 56 f500. so we have decided to put a 460 with a automatic in it but looking at suspension and drive axels just looking for ideas as to what would work as this will be a driver and will be hauling a 2 car trailer interior will be updated with air ride seats gps and some creature comforts while still retaining the factory dash, we would like to put in a air ride suspension with disk brakes all the way around it and would require new rims as well any input and ideas are always appreciated.

Howdy,

I would use a DANA 80 rear axle, front axle from a much newer medium duty truck, 19.5" wheels and tires etc.

There is a guy on here that has put a Cummins 6BT in a 56 F-600 and (I think) he used a 10 speed fuller and a Dana 80 rear axle.

I don't know what he used for the front axle or if he did disc brakes, but you will want new enough axles such that the current crop of disc brake mounting hardware will fit. Otherwise you'll fabricating it.

be sure to post pictures!

Regards,

Rick

Stephen67 03-07-2012 03:49 PM

Might look into some parts off a newer 2-ton truck. Find a donor that has the axles, brakes and suspension as well as powertrain you want, it will make the whole thing much easier.

teardropty 03-07-2012 07:21 PM

You mentioned "auto transport". Do you mean auto transport for hire or just hauling your own stuff around? If you are hauling your own stuff around make sure you do upgrade everything underneath - wheels, brakes, suspension, steering. Trailers and weight really tear stuff up. The driving today really requires vehicles that can handle the craziness out there, especially if you have a trailer and two cars on the rear. And don't forget the trailer brakes and controller.

If you are talking "for hire" I personally would stay far away from restoring an older classic truck for that purpose. I have owned a DOT registered transport business for years and having your vehicles subjected to Federal and State regulations are a huge pain for classic vehicles. While certain aspects of a classic truck MAY be exempt from having certain equipment, the DOT will tear apart your classic. Is it possible to build a classic for hauling purposes? Sure, but personally I would beat a new vehicle to death instead of something you have lovingly restored.

56 kid 03-14-2012 01:23 PM

parts

so as im going over my options i am thinking about keeping it original, rebuilding the motor, and putting a box on it but who knows trying to find parts for this truck has the parts department here telling me good luck with no results, so i ask where i can find parts looking for replacement rims same 5 lug bolt pattern but not split rims and brake drums, shoes, and adjusters, been trying to work on it at night to get it running but since someone quite a day after i got the truck im working 11.5 hr days so time is minimal right now,
got the engine turning over but wouldnt start, replaced starter solenoid, turned over strong and the starter stuck so i will try and free that up tonight. i have alot of work to do but have all the resources at my disposal.
i still cant beleive that the ford dealership i work at has no info for me on this,
wiring diagrams would be great as well as any place to get parts.
1956 ford f500 272 2v single carb light duty 4speed synconized with 5.83 rear
end 22.5 in rims built in twin citys ( i bought it 30 min from there ) original color yellow i was wondering also it has 2 * symbols in the lower right hand side of the id tag. truck makes 143 hp at 4000rps https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-U...-32-43_969.jpg

Stephen67 03-14-2012 05:34 PM

I believe if they are 22.5" they are not widow maker rims, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Mid-Fifty has every part you will ever need and they are great people to work with, most the users on here with a 53-56 swear by them and don't use anyone else, myself included. LMC, and NPD parts are also other options.

Bigger trucks have a few obstacles to work around that the smaller ones don't, mainly that the parts specific to the larger ones are not being reproduced. Fenders, front bumpers, running boards and emblems are unique on these (as well as the frames, axles, brakes, wheels, ect, but a lot is the same on a F100). If you want different brakes, you might look into a newer F500 or F600 and see what can be swapped, it's rather unexplored territory so a lot of it you'll be one of the first to really explore doing it.

A dealership won't be any help, all they do anyways is replace parts and don't know anything about fixing them or what could work anymore sadly. These old trucks require different methods of building, but this forum will have any answer to any question you could imagine, as well as fair opinions in a helpful manner.

That's a great looking truck! Welcome to the addiction, there is no cure, lol.

56 kid 03-14-2012 09:18 PM

thank i kinda thought that so ive talked alot with the guys in the shops and they have put me into contact with some interesting people. ones who work on big implements since the 40's and another large implement that will restore the old rims and has tires on hand, im going to do all the sand blasting at our body shop, i made room my parts shed there where i can pull it out and work on it in my spare time, ill have the machine shop next door rebuild the motor, odonnalls trucking will inspect and clean up all the springs and are looking into brakes for the truck, mcfarlands manufacturing ill have do the rims and tires and the major body work will be done by the guys in the body shop, i will tear everything down myself i don't want to pay people to restore my truck for me but i know my skills are limited and if something is out of my skill range i would rather have someone who knows what they are doing than **** it up myself. i want to thank everyone in advance for all the help with everything.

so a update as to not starting, i confirmed what the master tech at our ford garage had said "the starter is stuck engaged" tapped on it=nothing. i removed it and it will only disengage 1/2 so im gonna take it to him tomorrow and see what he thinks if it can be fixed or if he has one laying around, who knows. so unfortunately it looks like i wont be out there for another 2 days to to pool league and i have a trade show all of Saturday for work but if anyone has any wiring diagrams they would be helpful or info on the astrics on the id tag, show me some pics of your big trucks, havn't set anything in stone as to the box area of the truck i want to put saddle tanks like the f600s had behind the cab on the frame. so im gonna stop rambling about the million ideas in my head.....

Jolly Roger Joe 03-14-2012 09:33 PM

Wiring diagram

Originally Posted by 56 kid (Post 11575324)
if anyone has any wiring diagrams they would be helpful

I highly recommend the laminated 11x17 wiring diagrams from ClassicCarWiring
http://classiccarwiring.com/fordtruck.php

They have one for your truck.

old ugly 03-15-2012 11:25 PM

Hi 56 kid and welcome to the club,
As far as brake parts go they should be available in the U.S. as I had no problem getting brake parts for my 56 C-500 here in Canada. The C-500 and F-500 used the same components. I do not remember the costs but I was able to get wheel cylinders, kits were also available, master cylinder kit, master cylinder was also available. I also replaced the hydro-vac, it was $250.00 exchange for a rebuilt one. My parts people also said that brake shoes are also available but my lining was in good shape so I haven't changed them. So far all but the hydro-vac were Raybestos so I'm pretty sure that you should be able to get brake parts from Napa down there. I know Napa here can get them but I do not deal with them here as my supplier is half the cost compared to Napa here but I think you will get good prices from them down there. If you do need part numbers I could probably find them but it would take me awhile to look them up.
You also mentioned fuel tanks so I will post some pics of the ones I am using in another post.
Bye for now.

old ugly 03-16-2012 12:13 AM

Hi again,
I know my truck is nothing compared to what you have planned but it may help in the fuel tank department. In my opinion the look of these old trucks can't be improved so I'm trying to stay as original as I can.
This fuel tank came off of a fairly new G.M.C. Cab Forward. I think they were probably built in Japan and exported to North America. You see a fair amount of them used for city delivery. The pics are actually of a right hand tank mounted on the left side. About a year after I found this tank at the local truck wreckers I found a left hand tank at the same place. They were $300.00 each with the brackets, I took them off myself. Someone else on here used the exact tank on a 48 -52 but I can't remember who. I don't know if these suit your taste but are just to give you ideas. Hope it helps.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ldugly/102.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ldugly/122.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ldugly/120.jpg

56 kid 03-16-2012 12:18 AM

48 to 56 ford parts catalog

so today i was told that there may be literature in the attic of the ford dealership i i work at, so i went hunting and came out happier than i think i have ever been, i am now the owner of a full parts catalog for 1948-1956 parts and accessory catalog, the cover of this thing says i have helped many a person in my day the old bookmarks in it and bent pages where techs had marked a common photo needed for repairs, every part number no matter where you go can be traced back to the original and superseded parts numbers, i couldn't wait to dig into this book, the detail in listing every nut and bolt down to cloth numbers for interiors to how many oz of paint were used to paint each vehicle. i love this book more than the truck i think, but maybe im over reacting. i got a new starter today the parts store we use for aftermarket parts had one on the shelf not even they couldn't believe it, just got to switch over the Bendix once i figure out how, so im out for now. if anyone would like info out of the book let me know and i will try and help you the best i can. im still learning how to use it and yes i have a scanner and no im not scanning the entire book but ill try and help out those who ask.

old ugly 03-16-2012 12:37 AM

Ooops, I goofed and had to post before I finished,
The trucks that these tanks came off of were diesels but should work with gas if you block off the return ports. The fuel senders may also need to be changed.
Here's a pic of truck showing the front of the tank. I haven't got the right side one on yet.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ugly/090-1.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ldugly/044.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...y/stuff045.jpg