Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144540-ideas-to-prevent-expensive-hpfp-system-repairs.html)

Big Mick 02-22-2013 12:12 AM

Please help me understand

I am not a mechanic. I am a carpenter. Honestly, I am not very mechanically gifted either... but I'm not afraid to learn. Can someone please explain this HPFP to me? I am picking up my brand new F-350 6.7 turbo diesel tomorrow and I would like to learn as much as possible about it. It will be my first diesel. Thanks

UGA33 02-22-2013 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mick (Post 12868675)
I am not a mechanic. I am a carpenter. Honestly, I am not very mechanically gifted either... but I'm not afraid to learn. Can someone please explain this HPFP to me? I am picking up my brand new F-350 6.7 turbo diesel tomorrow and I would like to learn as much as possible about it. It will be my first diesel. Thanks

HPFP= High Pressure Fuel Pump. Keep the fuel filters changed on it, buy fuel from a high volume station, don't run the truck close to empty, and last but not least, enjoy your new truck :-X22

Snowseeker 02-22-2013 07:01 AM

Get the fuel clean, water free, and air bubble free before it enters the pump. Not much you can do to filter the high pressure side, just have to keep the low pressure side clean so hopefully you don't blow up the high pressure pump ruining the whole fuel system getting a $15K bill from ford.

Hdslider 02-22-2013 07:06 AM

Drain your Dfcm. Monthly. The water seperator

Sailor Roy 02-22-2013 09:50 AM

Always use a fuel additive........
Ford has one.....There are many others.....there are Threads on this subject.

The additive:
1) adds lubricant to the fuel.
2) Ups the "energy level" of the fuel....better mileage.
3) Helps prevent Gelling in cold weather.
4) put in before fueling so that it gets mixed up with the fuel well.

READ the Manual....Twice!!!!.........:-RTFM

Enjoy a GREAT Truck....:-dancing......Oo.......:):)

Hdslider 02-22-2013 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=Sailor_Roy;12869456]Always use a fuel additive........
Ford has one...

Best one yet. You da man Roy.. READ. READ
ROTFLMBO. :-X22

Sailor Roy 02-22-2013 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=Hdslider;12869506]

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy (Post 12869456)
Always use a fuel additive........
Ford has one...

Best one yet. You da man Roy.. READ. READ
ROTFLMBO. :-X22

Howdy my Friend....:-jammin.....:)
Having a Great Navy Day.......:)...:-X22

Big Mick 02-22-2013 09:14 PM

I appreciate the advice. Thanks. How often would you recommend changing the fuel filters?

marchare011 02-22-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mick (Post 12872075)
I appreciate the advice. Thanks. How often would you recommend changing the fuel filters?

Welcome aboard Big Mick. :-wink

I think the recommended fuel filter changeout is every 15-16,000 miles. I agree with the advice given above.

Big Mick 02-22-2013 09:27 PM

Just picked up the truck tonight. Will make sure to read the manual twice this weekend. Thanks guys! One of the happiest days of my life!

Hdslider 02-23-2013 08:28 AM

Welcome to FTE Big Mick. Lot of great folks here to help.

Tim Young 02-23-2013 09:16 AM

Welcome to FTE and the group there Big Mick from Wisconsin. :-drink

parkland 02-23-2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mick (Post 12872138)
Just picked up the truck tonight. Will make sure to read the manual twice this weekend. Thanks guys! One of the happiest days of my life!

You're gonna love the truck !!!!
:-jammin

JetFuelBurner 03-09-2013 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rpbf350 (Post 11594836)
I agree that this is the only way to prevent the extended damage to the system.

how about adding an electrical circuit to the filter. A control box with a built in "kill" circuit to tie the trucks ignition to, 2 pressure switches and a dump valve to a vented canister.

when the circuit senses a pressure differential (user set) between the incomming and outgoing side of the filter, the circuit activates a built in "kill" circuit and opens the dump valve, thus releaving any pressure to the filter. The canister would not have to be much bigger than about 1 gallon I would think.....whatever the pump is putting out for 30 seconds or so for the engine to die......and since it is vented....if it did fill up - it would just leak some fuel out....big deal..

There is also an aviation version of this.

In a previous life, I flew an Embraer E135 Corporate Jet (the same model is used as a commuter jet by many companies most notably American Eagle). We were on our way from NJ to St. Martin, over the Atlantic...2 hours from land. We get a warning ding from the Crew Alert System and the msg says "Impending Fuel Bypass". I knew from systems training that if clogged, the fuel filters would bypass so as not to flame out the engine in a bad place (like a few hours from land over blue water). The logic is keep it running as long as possible until you can get it on the ground but let the nut behind the wheel know there's a problem with the fuel system. That msg would have been "Fuel Bypass". Until it happened, I didn't know we would first get a warning for an Impending Fuel Bypass. Pretty smart them engineers. In addition to the electronic notification, on the fuel line there are also two pins that will pop to confirm the Impending Bypass and Bypass respectively. Looks just like the button that pops on the turkeys.

I can't recall (it's been 6 years since I flew this model) how it senses. Could be high press on the upstream side, low press on the downstream side. Can't recall. I'm going to have to dig out the books.

Guys, I was all stoked. I saw the vid about HS Perf pushing the 6.7 close to 900hp / 1800ft-lbs torque and was convinced this was going to be the replacement for my '00 5.4L SD 4X4 but this and other threads on the HPFP issues has me worried.

I will be driving around town, to and from work and towing our camper with my next truck. I really don't want to drop $40-$50K on a low miles used '12-'13 6.7 only to take it in the keister with a $9k-$12K fuel system failure that Ford won't warranty.

How many of these failures have there been? 9-12 grand ain't chump change, I don't care what you do for a living!! :-X06

Sorry for the thread hijack at the end. I've been driving Fords for 29 years now. I really don't want to change but this just might make me.

azking_Ranch 03-09-2013 06:34 PM

Lets bet this dead horse some more.