Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144540-ideas-to-prevent-expensive-hpfp-system-repairs.html)

los341 03-03-2012 02:47 PM

Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs

Hello! I'm starting this thread to focus on methods to prevent a very expensive repair to the 6.7L fuel system that results from HPFP failure. This is just a thread for brainstorming. Please keep it positive for those who are interested in the currently observed HPFP failure mode and how to make it better. Discussion may include ways to prevent a HPFP failure or ways to reduce the potential cost of a HPFP failure. I just want it to be a positive place where people can share their ideas without getting slammed.:-drink

This thread is not a place to argue over political aspects, such as if a failed HPFP is Ford's fault or the customer's fault. So please no discussion on who should pay for it. Also please no discussion on whether any modifications we discuss voids the warranty. We all know that modifying the fuel system will void the warranty. Again, I would consider that kind of discussion to be off-topic :).

I know there are some people who are tired of the HPFP topic. All I can say is if you really don't like this thread then you don't have to read it or participate. Maybe you could start your own thread to discuss your frustration with this thread!:-X03

Thank you
-los341

FTE Herman 03-03-2012 03:01 PM

I have an idea, that will cost about 27 to 36 dollars (perhaps as much as 50 as I haven't been through the numbers just yet). If there's some interest, I'll elaborate further a little later.

los341 03-03-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by FTE Herman (Post 11522913)
I have an idea, that will cost about 27 to 36 dollars (perhaps as much as 50 as I haven't been through the numbers just yet). If there's some interest, I'll elaborate further a little later.

+1 for interest.

Bobmurp1 03-03-2012 03:46 PM

+two here would love to here it

huntindog 03-03-2012 03:50 PM

I know that I am going to be cutting open my filters and inspecting them every time I change them. On the off chance that I find metal in it, the truck still runs fine and I am past the warranty. Then I could be proactive about resolving the issue before it gets REALLY exspensive.

A simple pump change out without all the collateral damage is doable. Or maybe it's trade in time.

dschuffert 03-03-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by FTE Herman (Post 11522913)

I'd be interested in learning more.

Northof62 03-03-2012 04:29 PM

+3 looking forward to hearing any ideas.

RedBoat 03-03-2012 05:50 PM

Come out with it Herman, you have us all in suspence!

FTE Herman 03-03-2012 05:57 PM

The 'actual' cost of a HPFP detonation is $9,000.

There are about 1,000 of us that participate here.

We each contribute $45 ($9 for each of the probable 5 failures that will occur in the remainder of our truck's [warranty] lifetime) to the 'HPFP fund' and when your truck goes tits up, it gets paid for by the fund.

Now we can all sleep easy.

Snowseeker 03-03-2012 06:42 PM

I'll hold the money!

milsuper 03-03-2012 07:46 PM

I intend to

1) only fill up at large volume diesel truck stops lined up with the large rigs. Only at brand diesel stations (BP, Shell, Hess, Sunoco).
2) fill up with at least 45 Cetane rated diesels. If lower than 45 Cetane at the filling station, add PM 22-A at the recommended amount.
3) avoid biodiesels at all times.
4) drain the DFCM monthly.
5) get a good comprehensive insurance policy. I'm shopping for one from different companies right now as I'm expecting my ordered truck to be delivered in 9 days.
6) Huntingdog mentioned about MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) by Geico in other threads. (Info available at Geico website) I just might get that since it does not appear to cost a lot.
7) trade in the truck before my warranty expires if it shows any signs of premature fuel system failure. Or, trade in the truck when the next generation design proves to be much more reliable...and make sure it's from a company that honors their warranty. Which ever comes first.
8) keep my money away from FTE Herman.

Guys, please comment and add or subtract to my list.

los341 03-03-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by FTE Herman (Post 11523572)
The 'actual' cost of a HPFP detonation is $9,000.

There are about 1,000 of us that participate here.

We each contribute $45 ($9 for each of the probable 5 failures that will occur in the remainder of our truck's [warranty] lifetime) to the 'HPFP fund' and when your truck goes tits up, it gets paid for by the fund.

Now we can all sleep easy.

Well thanks for that idea FTE Herman, but my intent was to keep this a little more on the technical side :). I guess I didn't make that clear enough. Ok, let me try again.

Failure mode definition: For some unknown reason, the HPFP may fail. Of course all mechanical devices fail eventually, but when the HPFP fails, it may be particularly expensive because of the incurred collateral damage.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss two distinct resolutions for the defined problem:

1. Reduce the risk of a HPFP failure
2. Reduce the cost of a HPFP failure

Reducing the risk of a HPFP failure may include items such as adding an aftermarket lubricity additive, better water separation, etc. Reducing the cost of a HPFP failure (given that a failure has already occurred) means somehow limiting the collateral damage as a result of the failure. An example may be to introduce a filter on the HPFP output port to capture metal fragments and prevent them from contaminating downstream components.

Thank you,
los341

FTE Herman 03-03-2012 08:13 PM

I know los, I was just kidding - the best idea I've heard to date is a post HPFP filter. $2K ain't chump change for the pump, but laying to waste the remainder of the fuel system - including injectors, that's just unacceptable.

srkr 03-03-2012 08:15 PM

Not worried here...I'll pass.

Shane

jim48 03-03-2012 08:45 PM

I wouldn't say I'm not worried, and I wouldn't say I'm afraid the truck will fail tomorrow. For now, I will continue to use Power Source like I have for eight years. And I will be more diligent about draining the water drains and perhaps change the fuel filters a little more than called for under maintenance guidelines.

On fillups I sometimes dispense the first amount of fuel in a clean jar. If it smells and looks OK I then continue my fillups. I don't always do this but when away from home area I do. I may start doing this ALL THE TIME.

I think this is a great idea. Maybe we can all come up with some really good and unexpensive ways to forestall any future major problems. At least we can vent our ideas and see if they sound like good steps to take.

Jim