Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Build Thread: '49 F321 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144118-build-thread-49-f321.html)

Jeff and Nicolle 03-12-2013 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by iwanaflattie (Post 12939336)
Oh man.
Jeff I feel bad now,Its been more than a year and I cant seem to come through with my promises.
At least you're learning a good skill.
And your doing a great Job at it.
Keep up the good work.!!!!

Seth. no drama man! Its all good.
sorry so short...on the stupid smartphone

tinman52 03-12-2013 07:49 PM

Looking good Jeff! I need to get me some of those shrinker/stretchers. I am building a brake right now....

Jeff and Nicolle 03-12-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by tinman52 (Post 12942344)
Looking good Jeff! I need to get me some of those shrinker/stretchers. I am building a brake right now....

Thanks Scott! It's pretty cool to make these patch panels, using these tools!
I guess its time to get rid of my chicken wire and bondo!:confused:

Jeff and Nicolle 03-17-2013 07:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I found a little time to play with this fender patching thing today.
I got some measurements from a thread I posted today.
So this is what I managed to accomplish.

Jeff and Nicolle 03-17-2013 07:21 PM

7 Attachment(s)
And some more.

Jeff and Nicolle 03-17-2013 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then I ran out of filler wire, and I can't buy any till next weekend.:(
I am not gonna lie, the pro's make this look easy. It's hard to get it bend in all the right places.
It's not over either! But it's worth a try.

underthebridgejim 03-17-2013 08:01 PM

Very nice! It seems as if you guys just keep getting better, and better. Kinda makes me want to go back and redo mine, LOL. Nice Jeff, really nice.

ben73058 03-17-2013 09:46 PM

Hey Jeff,
You like you are working toward the next Truckstock in May?
Are you driving over for it? It looks great!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Jeff and Nicolle 03-17-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by underthebridgejim (Post 12961540)
Very nice! It seems as if you guys just keep getting better, and better. Kinda makes me want to go back and redo mine, LOL. Nice Jeff, really nice.

Thanks Jim! I wouldn't redo yours until they fall off while driving down the road!

Originally Posted by ben73058 (Post 12962110)
Hey Jeff,
You like you are working toward the next Truckstock in May?
Are you driving over for it? It looks great!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Oh heck yeah I will be there! Rob is only a 1/2 hr from me. I won't be anywhere near being able to drive my truck by then, but thought about trailering it over.
I would have to come up with a car trailer though.
edit: Thanks for the compliments guys. I just hope it turns out like it should. The compound curves are tough to deal with when you only have simple tooling like oak lath to help hold the curves before tack welding.

Holehawgg 03-17-2013 10:35 PM

For someone who claims to not know what they are doing you're sure making it look easy. I keep looking at those patches and still cant figure out how to do it right. That trucks going to look good when your done.

Jeff and Nicolle 03-17-2013 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Holehawgg (Post 12962363)
For someone who claims to not know what they are doing you're sure making it look easy. I keep looking at those patches and still cant figure out how to do it right. That trucks going to look good when your done.

LOL thats the goal! I just hope it does get DONE someday!
Pictures really hide imperfections! You just have to pay attention and not be intimidated. Remember...it's no good the way it is!

Holehawgg 03-17-2013 11:07 PM

I kept wandering around from project to project on the 49 and nothing was getting completed so I grabbed a big piece of cardboard and hung it in the shop. Then me and a Jiffy marker sat on a stool in front of the truck and I just started writing down what needed to be completed. You know, engine compartment, Cab exterior, Cab interior and so on. By god I should have done this along time ago. Wiper mock up and install - check, master cylinder - check, hanging brake pedal - check, shoulder belt mounts - check. If this keeps up I will have all the mock up done by mid summer. Just in time to strip it all apart and ship it to the body man for final bodywork and paint. It just might work...Best part is I try not to start something else until the one Im working on is complete and it works.

Jeff and Nicolle 03-17-2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Holehawgg (Post 12962455)
I kept wandering around from project to project on the 49 and nothing was getting completed so I grabbed a big piece of cardboard and hung it in the shop. Then me and a Jiffy marker sat on a stool in front of the truck and I just started writing down what needed to be completed. You know, engine compartment, Cab exterior, Cab interior and so on. By god I should have done this along time ago. Wiper mock up and install - check, master cylinder - check, hanging brake pedal - check, shoulder belt mounts - check. If this keeps up I will have all the mock up done by mid summer. Just in time to strip it all apart and ship it to the body man for final bodywork and paint. It just might work...Best part is I try not to start something else until the one Im working on is complete and it works.

A very familiar scene for me...I do that sort of thing a lot. Very overwhelming for sure.

bobj49f2 03-18-2013 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 12962161)
Oh heck yeah I will be there! Rob is only a 1/2 hr from me. I won't be anywhere near being able to drive my truck by then, but thought about trailering it over.
I would have to come up with a car trailer though.

Jeff, too bad I'm so far away. If I was driving a normal truck I'd drag my trailer down. I don't think the old F-2 has the power to pull the trailer all the way down there. I'd pick your truck on the way over to Rob's house.

Jeff and Nicolle 03-18-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 12965642)
Jeff, too bad I'm so far away. If I was driving a normal truck I'd drag my trailer down. I don't think the old F-2 has the power to pull the trailer all the way down there. I'd pick your truck on the way over to Rob's house.

Thanks for the gesture Bob! I am not gonna sweat it. I will be more interested in the BS and enjoying good people like you!