Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Build Thread: '49 F321 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1144118-build-thread-49-f321.html)

jeffsshelbygt 01-20-2013 04:43 PM

Great thread!

Jeff, lovin the thread and the build. My 11 year old son bought a '48 F3 at a local auction back in October. It was a sweet find, $800 a title and very little rust(I am more than a little proud of him). Now we are starting to figure out which way to build it and your info is a big help. I agree with the idea of not puttin any on a card. Did you get all the electonic controls from the engine donor Explorer or are you using one of the install wiring kits on the market? Keep up the great work, it's gonna be awesome. Jeff:)

Jeff and Nicolle 01-20-2013 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jeffsshelbygt (Post 12737501)
Jeff, lovin the thread and the build. My 11 year old son bought a '48 F3 at a local auction back in October. It was a sweet find, $800 a title and very little rust(I am more than a little proud of him). Now we are starting to figure out which way to build it and your info is a big help. I agree with the idea of not puttin any on a card. Did you get all the electonic controls from the engine donor Explorer or are you using one of the install wiring kits on the market? Keep up the great work, it's gonna be awesome. Jeff:)

Thanks! And welcome to the forum!
I have an aftermarket wiring harness, from Speedway, for the main wiring of the truck. And I have the engine/computer harness from a 88-93 Mustang. I also have the Explorer harness and two different harnesses from Ford pickups.
So I should be able to wire up the truck just about any way I choose!
Mustang EEC IV MAF is the way I am going though.
Thanks for the compliments!

Jeff and Nicolle 02-09-2013 10:04 PM

Not much going on with wintertime...my ambitions are overridden by cold...it don't like it...but i did order an h-pipe(exhaust) from Summit Racing today.
I think it is my best starting point for an exhaust system. I am using foxbody Mustang 86?-'93 shorty headers. Mustang EEC IV MAF needing 2 Oxygen sensors..one in each bank. So I hope this thing will fit in place like it was meant to be...:-yeahrigh

yamagrant 02-10-2013 09:53 AM

Jeff, Are those the header's in your build thread?

Jeff and Nicolle 02-10-2013 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by yamagrant (Post 12822207)
Jeff, Are those the header's in your build thread?

Yes Sir Mr YamaGrant! The only set of ceramicoat headers I have ever had.
I am ready to do something...I am tired of the cold weather keeping we wussed out...

Jeff and Nicolle 02-14-2013 02:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not to bad of fit for a start!

ben73058 02-14-2013 02:23 PM

Hey Jeff,
That looks nice! Are you welding up your own exhaust?
You've got some skills. Let's see engine is in, transmission looks in, exhaust on...Hmmmm.. I see driving in your near future.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

yamagrant 02-14-2013 03:47 PM

Looks great Jeff. Do you think those headers would clear the Toyota Box I have in my 56?. I have a buddy with a set he said I could have. I haven't seen them yet but he said they were off a fox bodied mustang.:-X22

yamagrant 02-14-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 12822562)
Yes Sir Mr YamaGrant! The only set of ceramicoat headers I have ever had.
I am ready to do something...I am tired of the cold weather keeping we wussed out...

My truck's in a 5ft snow bank, so all I can do is clean parts I removed, and shop around for future part's. I hope to install the engine once the snow melts.(that should be in June, with the amount we have here):-X22

Jeff and Nicolle 02-14-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by yamagrant (Post 12839617)
Looks great Jeff. Do you think those headers would clear the Toyota Box I have in my 56?. I have a buddy with a set he said I could have. I haven't seen them yet but he said they were off a fox bodied mustang.:-X22

If he is gonna give them to ya, heck all you can do is try them.
I wish I could help ya on that! I went through several sets on cast manifolds from different cars and trucks. but nothing fit better than the foxbody shorty's.
In my setup.
That's the tough part, everyone's setup can be different than the next.
They work great in my case!

Jeff and Nicolle 02-14-2013 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ben73058 (Post 12839251)
Hey Jeff,
That looks nice! Are you welding up your own exhaust?
You've got some skills. Let's see engine is in, transmission looks in, exhaust on...Hmmmm.. I see driving in your near future.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Thanks Ben!
I won't be welding up my own exhaust. This H-pipe is gonna give me a temp. solution to exhaust to get the engine started, whenever that might be...
I still have alot of loose ends to take care of on the engine and tranny.
And wiring the truck...thats a big loose end!
Engine still needs:
fuel injector rail installed and fuel lines
upper intake and valve covers bolted down.
radiator hoses upper and lower
oil dipstick
front accessories put back on.
distributor and wires installed..
Throttle body and linkage and AOD TV cable.

Transmission:
cooler lines to radiator
some external plumbing...minor
driveshaft...shocks...
and the list goes on and on....

topmoo 02-14-2013 07:35 PM

Jeff, good to see you working on it again. Looks great! I need to do my exhaust and the rest of your list sounds a lot like mine - except I did the wiring already. Don't be worried about it, it is not as hard as you think. Like putting together a puzzle but with instructions. (assuming you have a kit). The instructions for the Highway 22 that I used needed instructions to read the instructions, but I got through it relatively easy. Keep up the good work, it helps me to keep going because I just don't want to feel left out! :-drink

Jeff and Nicolle 02-14-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by topmoo (Post 12840549)
Jeff, good to see you working on it again. Looks great! I need to do my exhaust and the rest of your list sounds a lot like mine - except I did the wiring already. Don't be worried about it, it is not as hard as you think. Like putting together a puzzle but with instructions. (assuming you have a kit). The instructions for the Highway 22 that I used needed instructions to read the instructions, but I got through it relatively easy. Keep up the good work, it helps me to keep going because I just don't want to feel left out! :-drink

Thanks Topper! I have a harness, from Speedway Motors, sitting on top of the cab. Don't feel left out! I have been watching your build thread!

Jeff and Nicolle 03-10-2013 01:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well...inspired by Rockcrln, I got a sheetmetal shrinker/stretcher, a 30" brake, and some 18 gauge cold rolled sheetmetal. I decided to attempt repairing my fenders. Rockcrln..Thank You..!

Starting with a 12"x24" piece. I measured 3/4" and clamped it in the brake.
Lesson #1 make sure the clamps are heavy duty and the forming bar doesn't slip when making the bend.

Jeff and Nicolle 03-10-2013 03:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Then I make a cut with a die grinder, so a bend can be made for the rear of the fender, where it will mate up with the side of the cab.