Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Need help: Keep jumping my truck with a screwdriver to start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1143678-need-help-keep-jumping-my-truck-with-a-screwdriver-to-start.html)

hollywoodswole 02-29-2012 12:57 PM

Need help: Keep jumping my truck with a screwdriver to start

2001 F250 7.3

I tried searching the forums awhile back, and even had a post up once to try and solve this, but the problem went away. Now it's back, and happening every time I have to start my truck.

Here's what happens...get in, turn key, wait for fuel pump. Then, when I try to start...nothing. I have power, but no cranking. So if I leave the key in and in the ON position, I can pop the hood, get out, and pop a screwdriver across the two terminals on the solenoid in the pic. Any ideas? This can't be good long term, aside from how big a PITA it is.

A redneck buddy of mine suggested putting a wire on each end of the terminal and running them to the cab so I can still start it from inside. Southern Engineering at its finest.

Any help is appreciated!Imageshack - photohmv.jpg

BigAlsPSD 02-29-2012 01:15 PM

Your pic is the starter solenoid, so it is either bad or is not receiving a start signal to the coil. Check the little wires for 12V while someone cranks it to see if 12V is present, if it is, and there is not 12V on the Large wire towards the rear your solenoid is bad.

hollywoodswole 02-29-2012 01:19 PM

thanks Alan. weird thing is, I replaced it, and it kept doing that.

BigAlsPSD 02-29-2012 01:34 PM

When you replaced it did you have voltage to the coil(smaller wires)? If you aren't getting a start signal you need to find that. I assume automatic? Will it start if you try Neutral? Is your shifter sloppy?

hollywoodswole 02-29-2012 01:41 PM

I didn't check the voltage.

Auto.

Yes it will start in neutral when it wouldn't in park.

Yes the shifter is very sloppy.

BigAlsPSD 02-29-2012 01:45 PM

This is the most common place for a sloppy shifter, there are 2 torx screw that loosen up. Laying in the floor board looking up and back towards the drivers seat with your head against the pedals, see if they are loose.

Attachment 50188

hollywoodswole 02-29-2012 02:00 PM

Nailed it. Top screw in that pic was so loose I could finger tighten it. I keep a set of tools in my truck so I tightened it up. Thanks!

BigAlsPSD 02-29-2012 02:02 PM

Good, I bet that was your issue all along. Is your pointer aligned correctly? If not there is a thumbwheel behind the fuse panel cover you can adjust it to point correctly.

hollywoodswole 02-29-2012 02:11 PM

It actually is lined up correct. I had no idea the two issues would be related. I just kind of expected one day to have to crawl under and look for something near the tranny to deal with the shifter.

I can't believe I spent months of intermittent "getting-outta-my-truck-with-a-screwdriver" so I could start it and it took 30 seconds to fix. *facepalm*

Much respect, Alan.

BigAlsPSD 02-29-2012 02:19 PM

FTE is a great group, specifically the 7.3 forum group here, that collectively have seen just about every issue with these trucks. We all like simple fixes. There is a range sensor on the trans and it can be adjusted as well, but the majority of the time it is the screws that are loose, glad you are good to go. :-X22