Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   FX4 Rancho's vs King Shocks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1141994-fx4-ranchos-vs-king-shocks.html)

darren32 02-23-2012 11:56 AM

FX4 Rancho's vs King Shocks

We all know how well the FX4 Rancho's hold up to abuse....
When I upgraded I figured I would go top end.
Guess I am just a little too hard on things:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

oh well, at least I can fix it instead of throwing it in the garbage:D

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...0223-00003.jpg

EpicCowlick 02-23-2012 12:02 PM

Wow Darren. I didn't think it was possible for the Kings to fail. I see the seal is separated from the housing. Is that due to too much pressure build-up? We used to have to bleed the air from the front forks on our motorcycles after each race or the seals would leak just like yours. Is that an air fitting on the remote reservoir? Are you supposed to bleed those regularly?

darren32 02-23-2012 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick (Post 11476726)
Wow Darren. I didn't think it was possible for the Kings to fail. I see the seal is separated from the housing. Is that due to too much pressure build-up? We used to have to bleed the air from the front forks on our motorcycles after each race or the seals would leak just like yours. Is that an air fitting on the remote reservoir? Are you supposed to bleed those regularly?

As far as I know you don't have to bleed them like the MX ones. My friend used to work for Pro-Action Suspension in Calgary and built a lot of shocks for me. Definately remember the pressure build up you are talking about. I checked the pressure about 2 months after install and it was where is should be. It is just a nitrogen charge.

I think the shaft just got mucked up with all the road crud we had this year, lots of metling and freezing. Then it pulled the dust seal out. After that the crud got into the oils seals I guess. Should have maybe tried to keep the shafts clean a bit? I always have preffered boots but they told me no need for them.....

I do pound on this thing pretty hard, even with 1,500 lb of fire wood in the back I was ditch banging a couple of weeks ago:-X04

Thanks for the MX ref, I think I will get my buddy in Calgary to re build it, wonder what he is up to these days........

Sgt93 02-23-2012 12:43 PM

Wow, nice job Darren:-missingt

darren32 02-23-2012 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sgt93 (Post 11476883)
Wow, nice job Darren:-missingt

Thanks buddy, I got mine a few months before you so I will give you a bit to "catch up":-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt

Try some jumps and see how she goes (I am pretty sure I have and the wheels off the ground:-X04)

Sgt93 02-23-2012 02:36 PM

I have had the wheels off at least once......... :) I just looked and they appear to be good. They are still covered in FF and our winter has been unusually warm.

darren32 04-16-2012 10:33 AM

Well......
One leaking shock was kinda funny and I considered it a fluke.
But now I have 2 leaking and it is kinda making me mad:-arrgh.

King shocks have no warranty which I can kinda see for their typical application.....but I would have expected them to last a year for a daily driver application.

But, Carli has said they will pay for the rebuild kits if the shafts are not pitted (which they are not, the shafts are stainless steel and smooth as a whistle). Good on them I supose. This part surprises me..... NADP (North American Diesel Performance) has said they will cover the cost of getting the shocks re built (whick will be the majority of the cost, expensive oil and expensive labour). So really good on them. As far as I am concerned, that is going above and beyond the great service they have always given me. If you need anything for your truck in the Edmonton area, tuner, titan tank, amp steps and almost anything else NADP will treat you right!

Also foundout, Bilstein 5100's have a lifetime warranty, I did not know that! Pretty cool as lots of guys here have them.

I will have to purchase a cheap set of shock to run while the kings are sent back for repair.

That's where we are at, it will be a while before I can get the truck in and a while to get the shock fixed. I will let you all know how it truns out.

OH YA, I am sending all 4 back, yet to be determined who will be paying for the 2 that are NOT leaking but pretty sure it will be me:-X06. With 2 leaking I want all 4 looked at so there are no more issues.....

Thanks

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSCF2898.jpg

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSCF2899.jpg

Hdslider 04-16-2012 10:49 AM

Well it's cool there backing there product. Am kinda surprised they don't have boots,as it don't take much to get a seal.

darren32 04-16-2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hdslider (Post 11715876)
Well it's cool there backing there product. Am kinda surprised they don't have boots,as it don't take much to get a seal.

Ya me too! I had asked them about boots and they said they were not required. I am thinking this time they will go back on with some boots.......

Sailor Roy 04-16-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by darren32 (Post 11715905)
Ya me too! I had asked them about boots and they said they were not required. I am thinking this time they will go back on with some boots.......

Such a deal....... I've got for you :-X22

I have a set of gently used Rancho OEM Fx4 shocks from my F-350. Only 9K miles and they still work :-hair. I'll sell them for $1.55 each plus shipping :-jammin

darren32 04-16-2012 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy (Post 11715966)
Such a deal....... I've got for you :-X22

I have a set of gently used Rancho OEM Fx4 shocks from my F-350. Only 9K miles and they still work :-hair. I'll sell them for $1.55 each plus shipping :-jammin

:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt
If they were 4.5" longer I would come and pick them up myself......still owe you some fuel filters anyway.:-X04

2000silverbullet 04-16-2012 11:21 AM

My family/friends have been running King 4.0/4.5's bypass shocks for 10+ years on their desert cars (Cali dunes) and nobody in our group ever had a King go bad so I wouldn't expect it to be a regular occurrance, especially with how much we abused them (whooped out sections at 70mph, jumps, etc). My dads latest car is running Fox shocks/bypasses and he's been satisfied with them but it took us much longer to get them tuned correctly than the Kings ever did.

I kept my (junk) stock shocks in the event I had to send the 9000's back, but since yours is lifted, it may be worth it to have an extra (decent) set on hand in case you have anymore issues with the Kings. I hope you don't, but ya never know...

Sailor Roy 04-16-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by darren32 (Post 11716010)
:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt:-missingt
If they were 4.5" longer I would come and pick them up myself......still owe you some fuel filters anyway.:-X04

I'll start feed them Vitamins and Steak & Potatoes. By the time you get here, they will have grown-up :-kneeslap
I'll swap them for Filters :-yeahrigh

darren32 04-16-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 11716017)
My family/friends have been running King 4.0/4.5's bypass shocks for 10+ years on their desert cars (Cali dunes) and nobody in our group ever had a King go bad so I wouldn't expect it to be a regular occurrance, especially with how much we abused them (whooped out sections at 70mph, jumps, etc). My dads latest car is running Fox shocks/bypasses and he's been satisfied with them but it took us much longer to get them tuned correctly than the Kings ever did.

I kept my (junk) stock shocks in the event I had to send the 9000's back, but since yours is lifted, it may be worth it to have an extra (decent) set on hand in case you have anymore issues with the Kings. I hope you don't, but ya never know...

Thanks, yes it looks like I will end up with a spare set of shocks in the end which is not going to be a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy (Post 11716047)
I'll start feed them Vitamins and Steak & Potatoes. By the time you get here, they will have grown-up :-kneeslap
I'll swap them for Filters :-yeahrigh

Save some steak and potatoes for me, I will be prety hungry by the time I get there.:-X04:-X04

SavageNFS 04-16-2012 11:40 AM

Sorry to hear they are leaking. I think I might get a set of boots on the rebuilds. They certainly can't hurt.