Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   2006 F150 2wd to 4wd (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1140535-2006-f150-2wd-to-4wd.html)

SHANE_2 02-18-2012 01:55 PM

2006 F150 2wd to 4wd

I posted this on another forum and the only Advise I got was to buy another truck!!!! Hoping to get some real advise on this.

So I have an 06 F150 supercrew lariat 2wd. Its nicely loaded and I like the truck. Bought it in Oct. and got a good deal. Otherwise I would never buy a 2wd. Anyway, I have been doing some looking and a little research, I want to make it a 4x4. Has anyone else done this? It appears the frames are the same, as well as the control arms and front suspension. As near as I can tell I just need to swap the transmission/transfer case, add the front diff/axles etc. and a 4wd switch. The harness is there and theres an option in the GEM to tell it if its 4wd or not. Any suggestions?

Also I have some mechanical ability and a lift in my gargae at the house!!!

Shane

j.grif 02-18-2012 06:58 PM

get a donor truck to get all the parts from, that would probably be the cheapest way to do the conversion, maybe a rear end total from an insurance comany or salvage yard, in addition you would see how a part came off and would save a lot of guessing.

hydro_37 02-18-2012 09:36 PM

anything can be done with enought time and money
it will require ALOT more parts then what you listed

DieselBeast01 02-19-2012 11:08 PM

I'm going to be the one to say it...Trade it in/Sell it and buy another truck.

It will require quite a few more parts than you listed and will be a pretty large job. I wouldn't tackle this myself, but some people have more patience and know how than me and could pull it off. In the end, it's all up to you.

danorules 02-20-2012 06:38 AM

X2 sell it. Too much work and once you are done you will be chasing gremlins the whole time you own the truck

Louie3 02-20-2012 08:00 PM

I only see this being practical on older trucks the new ones have a lot more to mess with

skunkoffroad 02-21-2012 11:44 AM

I have converted a few older trucks and even with the solid axle and all the major parts paid for ahead of time the damn conversion almost nickel and dime me to death. with that being said if the front control arm brackets are the same and I think that's a big if then it is possible. I'm sure you'll need to Change or reprogram The ecm and transmission control module. If you go through with it please let us know how it goes I think we would all learn something along the way.

jr105 02-21-2012 12:08 PM

I agree with j.grif's earlier response that buying a wrecked donor truck for the parts would be the way to go if you are going to do this.

hcbph 02-21-2012 08:25 PM

Conversion

Originally Posted by jr105 (Post 11466654)
I agree with j.grif's earlier response that buying a wrecked donor truck for the parts would be the way to go if you are going to do this.

If you're absolutely bound and determined to do this, then find a rollover that otherwise is good. The your body and slap it onto that frame. salvage all the required electronics and be done with it.

Even doing this is going to be alot of work. If you like your truck, keep it. If you want a 4x4 then find something to work on and build up. There are alot of half finished projects out there, why add another one to that list.