Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   93 5.0 HO into a 88 F150? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1136277-93-5-0-ho-into-a-88-f150.html)

Benjamin_R 02-03-2012 06:16 AM

93 5.0 HO into a 88 F150?

Hey guys, I have an 88 F150 with a 5.0 in it. My engine crapped out and needs to be overhauled. In the meantime i would like to put another motor in it......I have access to a 93' 5.0 HO that came out of a car.......how difficult of a swap would this be? Any major issues with this? Thanks in advance

TheWhiteBeast 02-03-2012 07:24 AM

The truck intake is actually a little better on flow but seeing how the 93 mustang engine is MAF, I would just stick with the mustang intake. You will need the engine wiring harness and the ECU from the mustang. You have an 88 so you definitely don't have an electronically controlled transmission so otherwise you should be good to go. You will need to figure out your air box situation as a MAF airbox only has one inlet, you could probably get one from the junkyard our of a 95-96 F-150.

GNR22 02-03-2012 07:44 AM

Like was said, You definitely need the computer and wiring. The firing order on an HO 302 is the same as a 351w. Otherwise it should just bolt right in. You might be able to finagle the mustang airbox into the truck. Not sure though.

lew52 02-03-2012 08:05 AM

It depends on how far you want to go with this , you could just keep the truck intake and put all the truck accessories on it , you need to use the truck oil pan and pick up tube , you can use the truck computer and wiring and just change the firing order on the cap , but if you want SFI and MA you will need the computer and harness from the mustang , air intake tube and mass air meter.....Lew

UNTAMND 02-03-2012 10:47 AM

Lots of threads about this.
Easiest is to use truck wiring and stuff.
If motor is from a mustang then the pan is already rear sump (visually check if pans ate same) You really don't need to put truck intake on. Most of the time the throttle cables interchange and it's a simple swap.
You can use the truck intake if you want though.
When I put my ho motor in my van I left it as is. It ran great on truck ecu and never had an issue.
Verify firing order of truck. Compare to ho. The ho has 351 firing order. Being that your truck is batch fire your injectors are fine but you need to keep the ho firing order on the distributor.

SCRebel 02-03-2012 11:02 AM

I second what Lew52, and UNTAMNED said.

If your staying stock, just keep the SD EFI and put all the truck stuff on it. Of you plan on any performance now is the time to go MAF.

Benjamin_R 02-03-2012 07:43 PM

Thanks for all the great info on this....

I would be interested in going MAF if it wasnt going to be to complicated or expensive. I dont believe i will have access to the computer that was with the engine.....i would be willing to buy one though.....I guess im going to move fwd with this....I will post updates and im sure lots of questions......This will be my first ever motor swap soooooooo.....we shall see.

Ben

UNTAMND 02-03-2012 08:13 PM

What trans do you have. Unless you have aod or 5spd the mustang ecu won't work.
The e4od and 4r70 requires specific computer control.
But there are lots of threads on swapping maf wiring and ecu in your truck.