Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Replacement key / third key (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1136085-replacement-key-third-key.html)

flixden 02-02-2012 02:57 PM

Replacement key / third key

Hi all!
I read a while ago that as long as I have my two original truck keys, I can inexpensively buy a key fob on ebay, have it cut and then program it myself. There are instructions in the manual. But: if you lose one of the two keys, it becomes expensive as you'll have to go to the dealer.
Has anybody done this? What key did you get off ebay? My truck is a 2012 XLT.
Thanks a lot for any input!

Big-Red-Lariat 02-02-2012 06:30 PM

you still need a chip key, either with or without the integrated remote to start the vehicle. Most good locksmiths carry them nowadays. In Canada, I paid $60 for the guy to cut me a plain chip key to keep in my garage, and if you want you can use older F150 fobs with it on the side.
I had a couple fobs from a 2003 F150 that was lost in an accident, and they work fine on my 2011, so I suspect if you go on EBAY and buy any cheap Ford fob from (at least) 2003 on up, if it works on a 2011 should work on a 2012. Anybody tried it?

flixden 02-02-2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat (Post 11377071)
you still need a chip key, either with or without the integrated remote to start the vehicle. Most good locksmiths carry them nowadays. In Canada, I paid $60 for the guy to cut me a plain chip key to keep in my garage, and if you want you can use older F150 fobs with it on the side.
I had a couple fobs from a 2003 F150 that was lost in an accident, and they work fine on my 2011, so I suspect if you go on EBAY and buy any cheap Ford fob from (at least) 2003 on up, if it works on a 2011 should work on a 2012. Anybody tried it?

Thanks Big Red! So the manual explains how to program the chip, to basically be able to start the truck with it. But how do you program the remote entry thing to lock / unlock the truck if I would get the second key below for example?

So I found two options that *should* work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCUT-BLANK-TRANSPONDER-CHIP-REPLACEMENT-IGNITION-KEY-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-/160725810153?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2011|Make%3AFord|Model%3AF-150&vxp=mtr&hash=item256c013be9
NEW FORD REMOTE HEAD KEY KEYLESS ENTRY FOB 80BIT COMBO | eBay

The first one would be like a Valet key, no remote unlocking / locking, but would be a good option as a backup should I lose one of the main keys. It will also allow programming another key later in that case, as two keys are needed that are already programmed. And for $8 it's a bargain considering the dealer will want a few hundred bucks from what I heard.
The second one looks exactly like the keys I got with the truck, and would be a full replacement, but I have no idea of how to program the remote lock feature.
Has anybody tried either option, and how did it work out?

ebexp94 02-02-2012 07:38 PM

I got a key without buttons for about $25 on ebay and had it cut for about $2. Programming it was no problem. Make sure the key says "SA" on it before you buy from ebay.

tvsjr 02-02-2012 10:11 PM

I've bought keys off eBay for both my F150 and the wife's Mariner. Just buy from a reputable seller - there are a few on there with tens of thousands of feedbacks, and buy a key from them that they say will work with your year model of F150. Buy it, have a decent locksmith cut it for you, then program it yourself.

Having the system reset by the dealer is a lot more expensive than having a spare key...

flixden 02-02-2012 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ebexp94 (Post 11377424)
I got a key without buttons for about $25 on ebay and had it cut for about $2. Programming it was no problem. Make sure the key says "SA" on it before you buy from ebay.

So this one will not work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNCUT-BLANK-TRANSPONDER-CHIP-REPLACEMENT-IGNITION-KEY-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-/160725810153?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A2011|Make%3AFord|Model%3AF-150&vxp=mtr&hash=item256c013be9
I think it says "S" on it.

msalyer 02-03-2012 12:27 AM

That sounds real shady Flixden. Sounds like there is no chip inside...just a hollow shell.

flixden 02-03-2012 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by msalyer (Post 11378819)
That sounds real shady Flixden. Sounds like there is no chip inside...just a hollow shell.

Yeah, I see it now as well, after you pointing it out!
Thanks msalyer!

flixden 02-05-2012 12:09 AM

Now here is an additional question about this: does anybody know how to program the remote transmitter / fob? My manual only gives me the procedure for the chip, but not the remote transmitter.

Thanks a lot!

shotgunz 02-05-2012 08:45 AM

I looked at the 2011 manual (the 2012 manuals are not available from Ford's website) and the best I can figure is you must use an Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (IKTs). The spare/replacement remote and the key are programmed at the same time.

I'm guessing this means you cannot use the separate key fob.

shorebird 02-05-2012 08:46 AM

This is from the '10 manual
Should be the same for '12

Replacing lost transmitters
If a remote transmitter has been lost and you would like to remove it
from the vehicle’s memory, or you would like to purchase additional
remote transmitters and have them programmed to your vehicle:
• Take all your vehicle’s transmitters to your authorized dealer for
programming, or
• Perform the programming procedure yourself.
Programming remote transmitters
It is necessary to have all (maximum of four — original and/or new) of
your remote transmitters available prior to beginning this procedure. If
all remote entry transmitters are not present during the programming
procedure, the transmitters that are not present during programming will
no longer operate the vehicle.
To program the transmitters yourself:
Note: Ensure the brake pedal is not
depressed during this sequence.
• Unlock all doors using the power
door lock/unlock control. Insert a
key and turn the ignition from
the 1 (off) to the 3 (on) position
and cycle between 1 (off) and 3
(on) eight times in rapid
succession (within 10 seconds)
with the eighth turn ending in the
3 (on) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming
mode has been entered.
• Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any
button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the
remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds
pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming
mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.)
• Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters.
The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has
been programmed.
• When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn
the ignition to the 1 (off) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors
will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

The huge head keys are just regular PATS keys with a snap on fob.
I understand that the regular separate fobs will work when programed.

+Your IKTs are programmed to your vehicle; using a non-programmed key
will not permit your vehicle to start. If you lose your authorized dealer
supplied IKTs, replacement IKTs are available through your authorized
dealer. Standard SecuriLock keys without remote entry transmitter
functionality can also be purchased from your authorized dealer if
desired.

Originally Posted by FUJINAMI1293 (Post 11167380)
hey there im new here and ill be buying my self a truck in a few days yes a ford.
now i have a question ive noticed on the ford keys for the newer models 2008 and up they have s and sa stamped into them and was wondering what the difference is between the two keys
Thanks

Originally Posted by ccerniglia (Post 11206342)
Its Encryption. S keys are Ford old PATS (passive aint-theft system) 40 bit encryption, the newer SA is an 80 bit encrytion that is backward compatible with old PATS using cars. Hope this answered your question.

Tylus and I have both posted a great deal on PATS KEY/SecuriLock key replacement sources.

shotgunz 02-05-2012 09:03 AM

Yeah - you're probably right shorebird, but if it were my truck I would stick with the IKT to be sure.

flixden 02-05-2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunz (Post 11388491)
Yeah - you're probably right shorebird, but if it were my truck I would stick with the IKT to be sure.

I am pretty sure the regular ones without the transmitter will work - because they are listed, at least for the 11's and can be ordered by the dealer:
http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...s/keychart.pdf
The part number is:
IPAT S 80 Bit (SA) 164-R8040

They can be found here, apparently OEM:
2008 2009 2010 2011 Ford F-250 F-350 F-450 Super Duty OEM PATS Key Blank new | eBay

flixden 02-10-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by flixden (Post 11391528)
I am pretty sure the regular ones without the transmitter will work - because they are listed, at least for the 11's and can be ordered by the dealer:
http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...s/keychart.pdf
The part number is:
IPAT S 80 Bit (SA) 164-R8040

They can be found here, apparently OEM:
2008 2009 2010 2011 Ford F-250 F-350 F-450 Super Duty OEM PATS Key Blank new | eBay

It is confirmed now. Got my "no button" key in the mail yesterday. Went to Home Depot this morning, and got it cut for free! For some reason, they did not want any money for it, LOL. They did have to talk to the manager, one gal said they are not supposed to cut transponder keys because if the cut fails they can't replace it, bla bla bla. I said I'd take the risk, and they finally did it.
Key works fine, programming went smooth the first time. So now I am ready in case I lose one key, won't have to pay the dealer some outrageous amount of money. I kind of feel like getting another one, this was fun, LOL. :-X22
Interesting, when I open the truck door with the key instead of the remote keyless entry, I have to start the engine within a few seconds to keep the alarm from going off.

busyknight 02-10-2012 08:45 PM

Help me get unconfused...

flixden, let me see if my understanding is correct here. That "no button" $17 key will manually unlock the door; meaning that it cannot/will not do any sort of "keyless" entry BUT it does have an RF x-mitter that does need to be programmed in order to start the truck. Did I get that all corrent?

So the jest of it is: that 'no button' key will work to start the truck (once it's programmed, that is). Even unlocking the door isn't that big a deal to me since my truck has the exterior key pad. But the bottomline is, you can get by with just the ~$17 key (especially for spare/extra keys) plus the cost of getting it cut (how'd you get them to do it for free???).

If my understanding (above) is correct, that seems like a pretty cheap way to get a couple of extra keys! (May have to do that myself!) :-X22