Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Roll Bar/Rollcage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1134899-roll-bar-rollcage.html)

wpnaes 01-30-2012 09:00 PM

Nah, they're used to riding around with the helmets when on the bike or razor!

njneer1 01-30-2012 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by hasteranger (Post 11362629)
Are the kids really gonna wanna wear helmets on the daily commute? Makes every day a bad hair day.

Shut up.....it's what I want...I can be me......hehehe ...and I will buy it !

wpnaes 01-30-2012 10:01 PM

Reminds me of a song...

Sammy Davis Jr. - I Gotta Be Me - YouTube

01EX 01-31-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by HUBBSTER (Post 11359399)
Evasive ? I'd just drive over whatever was in front of me :-X04

Rovers had some exterior cages, not really roll cages, more for a little body protection & hanging stuff from

To build a rollcage for the Ex you'd have to gut the interior 1st, thats A LOT of work
http://safetydevices.com/i/ckfinder/...-cage-L172.JPG

Out side like this one.
Like a HELMET
I might be the 1st to have a HELMET on the X.

Snowseeker 01-31-2012 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by njneer1 (Post 11362564)
I will be your first customer......I need it as unobtrusive as possible....... and it needs to be a full family bar....all the way to the rear hatch ........can you do it? I think you will have a market.....

Sure can, but you have to get in line. Have a few cars to get done first. :-X21

lovestrucks 01-31-2012 08:15 PM

I've considered a Rollcage on the X.....however the only way I'd ever put one in is if I was rich, and started to use the X as a chase vehicle for races, and goin down to baja. But then the X would be totally redone to be beat up and with stand a bunch of stuff. (ie rollcage, f350 axles, Carli King Suspension system, the "works" :D )

If I were to do one(or have one done) I'd get a lot of my ideas from the luxury prerunners from Brenthel Bi Luxury Prerunner or JDFabrication JD Fabrication - Home . Both of them I think do a great job of integrating the rollcage into the lines of the cabs and ending up with a very clean presentation. However you'll basically have to strip the whole inside to install it and weld it up if you want it to look that good. Just my 2¢ :-X22

01EX 02-01-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by lovestrucks (Post 11367610)
I've considered a Rollcage on the X.....however the only way I'd ever put one in is if I was rich, and started to use the X as a chase vehicle for races, and goin down to baja. But then the X would be totally redone to be beat up and with stand a bunch of stuff. (ie rollcage, f350 axles, Carli King Suspension system, the "works" :D )

If I were to do one(or have one done) I'd get a lot of my ideas from the luxury prerunners from Brenthel Bi Luxury Prerunner or JDFabrication JD Fabrication - Home . Both of them I think do a great job of integrating the rollcage into the lines of the cabs and ending up with a very clean presentation. However you'll basically have to strip the whole inside to install it and weld it up if you want it to look that good. Just my 2¢ :-X22

They do nice work.

hasteranger 02-01-2012 09:22 PM

Yep, I agree if I wanted to cage the ex for anything other than turning it into an offroad recreational vehicle, I'd want a cage just like that. But I have a feeling those cages would be in the $8-10k range. I've heard that bi luxury company is doing a of work for the rich oil barron type people out in derkastan. Actually a lot of US off road shops apparently have been doing work for the wealthy in desert countries as well as the oil companies operating out there, like this 6x6 wrangler (also some sweet fab) 2011 Beige Jeep Wrangler Custom 6X6 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Snowseeker 02-02-2012 07:30 AM

Those aren't cages put in a already existing vehicle though. Those are cages built and then some sheet metal wrapped around the cage. Much easier to make it look "integrated" when in fact it is integrated.

lovestrucks 02-06-2012 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by hasteranger (Post 11373127)
Yep, I agree if I wanted to cage the ex for anything other than turning it into an offroad recreational vehicle, I'd want a cage just like that. But I have a feeling those cages would be in the $8-10k range. I've heard that bi luxury company is doing a of work for the rich oil barron type people out in derkastan. Actually a lot of US off road shops apparently have been doing work for the wealthy in desert countries as well as the oil companies operating out there, like this 6x6 wrangler (also some sweet fab) 2011 Beige Jeep Wrangler Custom 6X6 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

yep saw that at Sema also :-X22 I've asked a few people who've had it done....they went all out however and were in the 20-30k range after everything (cage, seats, upholstery, tv's, speakers, nav, etc) Brenthel's shop is about 30 mins away from me and ya they do a lot of other high end stuff but also things outside of offroading.

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 11374456)
Those aren't cages put in a already existing vehicle though. Those are cages built and then some sheet metal wrapped around the cage. Much easier to make it look "integrated" when in fact it is integrated.

Your wrong, the ones I posted, and this one TSCO are cages put into already existing trucks. These are caged trucks, most people go this route for prerunners, or for a semi-cheaper way than building a full truck.

another example to, lots of detailed pics of them welding things straight to the cab 2006 Ford F-150 Pre-Runner | Camburg Engineering

if you want a frame or "cage" as you put it, then those are usually trophy trucks or something along those lines, and they then have fiberglass shells. :-X22

Snowseeker 02-07-2012 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by lovestrucks (Post 11396032)
Your wrong, the ones I posted, and this one TSCO are cages put into already existing trucks. These are caged trucks, most people go this route for prerunners, or for a semi-cheaper way than building a full truck.

another example to, lots of detailed pics of them welding things straight to the cab 2006 Ford F-150 Pre-Runner | Camburg Engineering

if you want a frame or "cage" as you put it, then those are usually trophy trucks or something along those lines, and they then have fiberglass shells. :-X22

The first one posted doesn't look like factory interior, looks like the interior was built around the bars to cover them up which is basically the same thing as wrapping sheet metal around the outside. The second one with the stock interior has the cage sticking out all over like a typical caged vehicle.

hasteranger 02-07-2012 01:47 PM

I think thats what they do.. they strip a stock cab down to the sheetmetal, weld in the cage, then rebuild the interior around the cage, modifying or replacing stock interior panels where necessary.

Snowseeker 02-07-2012 08:45 PM

That does cover it up nice. They do a good job with it all! I was just saying with most folks retaining the stock interior any sort of cage worth its weight will be very much visible everywhere.

njneer1 02-08-2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Snowseeker (Post 11400674)
That does cover it up nice. They do a good job with it all! I was just saying with most folks retaining the stock interior any sort of cage worth its weight will be very much visible everywhere.

I still want it....are you done yet ??:D

01EX 02-09-2012 06:54 AM

I was thinking the extenal route.

Areas of attahment:

Cowl area under the black plastic cowl panel. (A pillar). Pop the hood and look at inner structure were inner fender structure attaches and attaches to cowl. There are 2 to 3 layers of metal there. I realize this is only sheetmetal, but with some reinforcement it might be stong enough? Similar to a unibody design, several layers of metal to form a solid area.

Depending on amount of depth of cowl area under that plastic panel, possiable to run a horzontial bar or flat thick plate L+R to attact(L+R A pillar bars to).
Appeares a vertical bar could attach to driver side frame rail to bottom of cowl to suppport the horzontial bar/flat plate. (run a bar under the cowl in engine compartment)
More of a challage for driver side. I haven't crawled under the X to see how that might tie in.
So we have suppport at cowl area,( A) pillar tube running along windshield pillar up over roof to B pillar. Put in cross bars just above windshield and at B pillar area. Then an X to tie A+B pillar and add strength to roof area over driver area if the X lands on the roof in that location.

Possiable B pillar vertical supprt only inside to support, no loop inside.

Attach bar at B pillar and go back to C+D pillars. Putting in 2 more X's for support/distrubute weight across roof area.

According to a body Tech who has 33 yrs at it, indicated roofs in the C+D areas with a luggage rack are reinforced for the luggage rack. Just tie into C+D pillars with bars.

(Seems most issues are in the A pillar then B pillar fails since A failed.)

If A pillar is supported and the impact is distrubted across entire roof with above design then there might be less of a chance of serious injury.

Look up photo's of Nissan XTERRA roof luggage rack.
Angled front design,driving lights in angled front, short vertical sides that tapper to D pillar.

Has anyone had there black plastic cowl panel off. Is there enough depth for a horizontal bar or flat plate that can be attached under the cowl panel. The linkage for windshield wiper might create an issue.
(maybe just a bar under the cowl in engine compartment rather then under plastic cowl panel).Then the possiable issue would be if there is enough room for A pillar bar at L+R corners for tie into inner fender to cowl area.

Looking forward to responses.