Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Visitor from the 1980-1986 forum [hupcaps] (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1133142-visitor-from-the-1980-1986-forum-hupcaps.html)

1986F150six 01-23-2012 10:20 AM

Visitor from the 1980-1986 forum [hupcaps]

Greetings,

I normally hang out in another forum [1980-1986], but thought I would visit and share a quick story. Maybe it will be of interest to someone.

Years ago, I visited a junk yard and found quite a number of old Ford dogdish hubcaps. They were sitting in an old van which had leaked and the hubcaps did have rust, some not too bad and others, worse. I asked the history and found that the two older gentlemen who own the junk yard are the sons of a man who was owned the Ford Dealership in this small town, which closed many years ago. The new vehicles, when delivered, had the hubcaps stored inside. Often times, the dealership would simply toss the dogdish hupcaps on a shelf and replace them with higher value [more profit] full wheel [deluxe] wheel covers. So, even though old and less than pristine condition, the hubcaps found in the leaking van were NOS. The backside showed no evidence of having ever been mounted.

Here is the delima... I acquired them to prevent their destruction, but have no need of them and thought someone in this forum might give a suggestion as what to do with them.

My research has led me to believe they are from 1957. They have the recessed circular area which is painted white with chrome outer ring, center bullet and FORD letters [top and bottom inside painted area]. These may have come from sedans, but fit standard wheels [I have a set of 1961 caps on my son's 1984 truck and it makes it look "old school" and garners many positive comments.

I do not have the capability of photos, so I hope the description is close. I have a good reputation in my "home" forum and plan to keep it that way, so I offer the description and if anyone is interested, please contact me [PM] and I will do what I can in such a way as there will be no risk to the interested party.

Moderators, I will gladly list this in the classified section, or please do so for me. I just wanted to see if anyone might have a need for these. Please forgive me if I am out of line. :-X19

P.S. There were a few others as well, only 1 or 2 and they have been identified as 1954, 1955 and 1956 as well as 6 from 1961 and a few from 1965-1970. Four of the 1965-1970 caps [aluminum, so no rust] were pristine and are now on a 1970 restored Galaxie P-code Highway Patrol car. I was told that the dealership closed sometime in the early 70's. The old building was still standing and had the service area with old v-belts still hanging from the wall. Neat!

Herb's Slick60 01-23-2012 11:36 AM

I would be interested in getting some of them from you. Send me some more details.

fabmandelux 01-23-2012 11:41 AM

I'll leave it for now:).........Mainly because parts for our old trucks are so hard to find.

Guys, please try not to post to much in this thread, but PM him for more info. Thanks!

NumberDummy 01-25-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1986F150six (Post 11325823)
Years ago, I visited a junk yard and found quite a number of old Ford dog dish hubcaps. They were sitting in an old van which had leaked and the hubcaps did have rust, some not too bad and others, worse.

The hubcaps found in the leaking van were NOS.

My research has led me to believe they are from 1957 & 1959 Ford Passenger Car/Thunderbird: B7A-1130-C ~ 10" diameter.

They have the recessed circular area which is painted white with stainless steel outer ring, center bullet and FORD letters [top and bottom inside painted area]

Look on the inside of the hubcaps you cannot ID. There will either be a paper label with the Ford ID engineering number printed on it. Or the ID number, or part number will be stencilled on the inside.

Post all the numbers you find, I'll ID the hubcaps for y'all. Or send me pics of the little charmers [sylhall@aol.com], I'll ID them in a NY minute. I do not want them, even if free...got enough stuff layin' around this menagerie.

btw: The hubcap used on 1958 Ford Passenger Car/Thunderbird (B8A-1130-B) is basically the same as above, but is painted argent instead of white.

Full wheel covers were optional, hubcaps were standard equipment and all were installed by the dealers.

1986F150six 01-26-2012 09:51 AM

I always enjoy reading you input, Mr. NumberDummy.

Regarding your first paragraph, I doubt there are any paper labels remaining after what appears to be many years exposure to the elements. I do not have with me any of the ones described as what I believe to be from 1957 [and you interjected 1957 & 1959 Ford passenger car/Thunderbird - thanks!]. They are in 3 boxes... I have dozens. However, with me are two others which I display, due to their better condition. From my limited research [pictures off the internet], I believe one is a 1955 [similar to the previous description of 1957] except that the recessed circular area is smaller in diameter and the painted area is red in color. The other one available to me at this time is more like the 1957/1959 in dimensions, but the color is golden. I believe this is 1956. Neither of these two have the paper label and with a careful examination using light and magnifying glass, I find no stencilled numbers anywhere.

By the way, you also "enhanced" :) my description by changing "chrome" to "stainless steel". I guessed chrome as that is what it appears as and rust is on this area. I realize there are different grades of stainless so perhaps these do rust? Also, a magnet will stick to these hubcaps [again, I realize some stainless will attract a magnet, but others do not]. I am certainly not trying to be argumentative, just forwarding observations.

Regarding paragraph #2... wish I could, but don't have that capability. Thank you for the kind offer!

One additional bit of information: with me are three additional "jewels" found at the same place, years ago. One is an extra of the ones I described as now being on a 1970 P-code sedan. I also have one, smaller in diameter, which I believe was used on Falcons and Rancheros from 1961-1963. It is Aluminum [I believe] with white letters for FORD, as opposed to the argent painted ones. Finally, there is another larger dog dish one from what I believe is 1964-1965 sedan. It has two recessed areas, painted black with non-painted raised FORD letters... this, too, is Aluminum [I believe].

All the ones described as being Aluminum are pristine NOS with no signs of weathering. I looked on the back of these and found no stencilled numbers. Please guide me as to where to look?

Thanks for your continued willingness to share your wealth of knowledge!

P.S. Also, a "thanks" is directed to fabmandelux [forum Moderator] for showing tolerance and allowing this post to remain. We may all learn from the following discussion.

NumberDummy 01-26-2012 10:02 AM

I have yet to see an aluminum Ford hubcap, and AFAIK, there were no chrome hubcaps, until Ford came out with styled wheels, then they used chromed plastic hubcaps (Ford: ornaments) on some of them.

At one time, Ford spun a stainless steel shell over steel hubcaps, then crimped the edge, but this practice 'went away' circa 1942.

1964 Galaxie, 1965/66 F100 Custom Cabs: C4AZ-1130-A stainless steel 10 1/4" "outie" hubcap with a raised slash thru the center with crescent shaped indentions, one above, one below the slash.

Has stainless FORD block letters within the indentations with the background painted black / Outie = so called because the hubcap snaps over tabs located on the outside of the wheels center section.

1965/66 Galaxie: C5AZ-1130-A stainless steel cone shaped 10 1/2" outie hubcap, plain center section, then with a indentation with FORD twice. Stainless vanes radiate from the indentation with black paint between the vanes.

1967/69 Galaxie: C7AZ-1130-A stainless steel sorta flat 10 1/2" outie hubcap with crown in center surrounded by black paint, has two black rings around the edge.

1970/71 is similar, but has no crown. 1972 is similar, but has crown and laurel wreath in center.

1986F150six 01-26-2012 11:09 AM

Additional hubcap information...

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 11341055)
I have yet to see an aluminum Ford hubcap [I now feel confident that what I described as Aluminum are stainless; my mistake!], and AFAIK, there were no chrome hubcaps, until Ford came out with styled wheels, then they used chromed plastic hubcaps (Ford: ornaments) on some of them.

At one time, Ford spun a stainless steel shell over steel hubcaps, then crimped the edge, but this practice 'went away' circa 1942.

1964 Galaxie, 1965/66 F100 Custom Cabs: C4AZ-1130-A stainless steel 10 1/4" "outie" hubcap with a raised slash thru the center with crescent shaped indentions, one above, one below the slash.

Has stainless FORD block letters within the indentations with the background painted black / Outie = so called because the hubcap snaps over tabs located on the outside of the wheels center section. [yes; what I described as being for 1964-65; stainless it is!]

1965/66 Galaxie: C5AZ-1130-A stainless steel cone shaped 10 1/2" outie hubcap, plain center section, then with a indentation with FORD twice. Stainless vanes radiate from the indentation with black paint between the vanes. [excellent verbal description, sir; this is the one I described as being 1965-67 and being placed on the 1970 P-code sedan]

1967/69 Galaxie: C7AZ-1130-A stainless steel sorta flat 10 1/2" outie hubcap with crown in center surrounded by black paint, has two black rings around the edge. [not previously mentioned by me, but I believe I have two]

1970/71 is similar, but has no crown. 1972 is similar, but has crown and laurel wreath in center.

Thank you again... I am still learning!

NumberDummy 01-26-2012 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 1986F150six (Post 11341299)
Thank you again... I am still learning!

C4AZ-1130-A is not repro'd. Peeps are looking for these for 1965/66 F100 Custom Cabs that came with outie wheels.

And, for Standard Cabs, there are two other versions of this little charmer, are painted steel, not stainless.

One type (C5TZ-1130-A) is painted white with white FORD letters on a red background.

T'other is painted argent with argent FORD letters on a red background. Parts catalog has wrong part number listed. :(

These aren't repro'd either. All three are almost as hard to find as Jimma Hoffa and Amelia Earhart.

I have two of C4AZ-1130-A, one is NOS, t'other is used. I've put 'the word out' that I have them, to test the waters to see what peeps are willing to pay for them.

fabmandelux 01-26-2012 11:27 AM

Maybe these pictures would help? Ford hubcap pictures - Google Search

NumberDummy 01-26-2012 11:41 AM

Top, 3rd from left is B7A-1130-C / 1st cap is 6A-1130-A

Page 5, first column, 5th from left is a gypo 1954/55 Oldsmopile spinner wheel cover.

Page 5, second column, 2nd from left is C4AZ-1130-A.

Page 5, third column, 2nd from left is a gypo Dodge wheel cover.

Page 8, first column, 5th from left is C5TZ-1130-A.

I could prolly ID all these little charmers, but...I have other fish to fry at the moment...be back later.