Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Integrated brake controller problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1131858-integrated-brake-controller-problems.html)

wills250psd 01-18-2012 11:20 AM

Integrated brake controller problems

I have little brakes on camper while using foot pedel regardless of setting, but when I use the hand lever it will lock them up. anybody had this problem, and know the solution? thanks will. ps its a 08 F250 psd

maverick22 01-18-2012 11:40 AM

First question, did it just start doing this or is it a new truck? Reason being the integrated controller works differently than the old ones in that the trailer braking is determined by how hard you use the truck brakes, you don't feel the tug from the trailer like you used to. If it just started doing this then there's a problem, are there any faults in the message center? I'm thinking pretty much the only things it could be are the controller itself or perhaps the switch on the master cylinder.

wills250psd 01-18-2012 12:19 PM

It just started doing this I have owned it since it was new.

senix 01-18-2012 12:28 PM

check the brakes on the trailer to see if they are adjusted properly and if in fact all of them are working.

Quick test can be for someone to step on the brakes and you go to each trailer wheel and listen for a buzz.

Buzz at each wheel will at least indicate power to the drum.

RV_Tech 01-18-2012 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by maverick22 (Post 11303328)
First question, did it just start doing this or is it a new truck? Reason being the integrated controller works differently than the old ones in that the trailer braking is determined by how hard you use the truck brakes, you don't feel the tug from the trailer like you used to. If it just started doing this then there's a problem, are there any faults in the message center? I'm thinking pretty much the only things it could be are the controller itself or perhaps the switch on the master cylinder.

Agree. You know it's not the trailer brakes and since you can lock em up manually, you know it's not the wiring. All that's left is the controller or switch on the master.

Steve

wills250psd 01-18-2012 01:43 PM

Trailer brakes are not the problem, they are adjusted correctly. when you are applying the foot brake there is a small hum at the wheels but when you use the hand lever the buzz is very loud. if the tire is jacked up and I spin the tire by hand and someone applys the foot brake it barely slows the tire down but if you use the hand lever it locks the tire up immediatly.

RV_Tech 01-18-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wills250psd (Post 11303776)
Trailer brakes are not the problem, they are adjusted correctly. when you are applying the foot brake there is a small hum at the wheels but when you use the hand lever the buzz is very loud. if the tire is jacked up and I spin the tire by hand and someone applys the foot brake it barely slows the tire down but if you use the hand lever it locks the tire up immediatly.

You do understand that with the integrated controller you do have to be moving and used the brakes? Just sitting still the output is only a little over 1 amp to the brakes with the setting on the highest setting and the pedal fully depressed.

Steve

wills250psd 01-18-2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RV_Tech (Post 11303952)
You do understand that with the integrated controller you do have to be moving and used the brakes? Just sitting still the output is only a little over 1 amp to the brakes with the setting on the highest setting and the pedal fully depressed.

Steve

No I did not know that, I only noticed this when I replaced all brakes bearings and drums on the camper. thats when I noticed the issue I have described but I assumed when the foot brake is fully applied and all lights on controller lite up to full power that it would be the same as useing the hand lever.

RV_Tech 01-18-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by wills250psd (Post 11304005)
No I did not know that, I only noticed this when I replaced all brakes bearings and drums on the camper. thats when I noticed the issue I have described but I assumed when the foot brake is fully applied and all lights on controller lite up to full power that it would be the same as useing the hand lever.

Provided you are using a controller with software built in to sense the rate of deacceleration, which the integrated ones have, the output to the brakes is minimal until it senses deacceleration. I did a write-up on this in the Towing and Trailer forum which I think is saved under the top towing file. I used my tester and took pictures of the various amp readings sitting still with the pedal depressed. You basically have just a small bit, which it sounds like you have from your prior post.

Even the higher end add-on controllers work the same way. You have to test the real world effect moving. Even is a slow rolling test, you don't get much until you have some speed and nail the brakes. I think for the end user, it is much harder to tell what the software driven controllers are doing. In the olden days, you stepped on the pedal and in a second you had full boost. Not anymore. :-X21

Steve

wills250psd 01-18-2012 03:37 PM

Thanks Steve, I thank thats it I am going on a long trip next month and did not want any problems I need good brakes for a 1200 mile trip.Thanks again Will