Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   What do you mean 35's? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1130536-what-do-you-mean-35s.html)

devongarver 01-13-2012 04:41 PM

What do you mean 35's?

This was a response I got from the first tire place I called when trying to find someone to perform a front end alignment for me on my 250. Apparently, when I said I had 35's on it, it meant great big number 35's on the door panels, because it's a racing truck....

So the point of this post, can anyone provide-or tell me where to find- specifications(read measurements) for performing an alignment with my 35's? It has no lift, stock height, factory wheels too, just bigger tires. I have called every single shop I can find in this corner of the state, and none of them can do an alignment. Even the hillbilly shop where I live that actually installed the tires said they can't do it because they don't have spec's to go off of.

Any thoughts?

2006lariat 01-13-2012 04:44 PM

Without a lift, factory Spec's apply! Even with lift's that are designed properly, factory spec's apply. You can go more one way or another with stuff too achieve different characteristics......stock or not!

devongarver 01-13-2012 04:48 PM

Really? Every shop had the same story, they said the foot print changes with the bigger tires so the measurements are all wrong?

2006lariat 01-13-2012 05:06 PM

I am not an alignment guy, but I would think if you didn't change the suspension at all, the tire's (even if 60") should be in the stock location's!
If you had a lift, a lot of them tell you, where to align them..........but yours is stock.

On another note, other's on here ask for them to be aligned with more (camber I think) too help get rid of the twitchy steering.

devongarver 01-14-2012 05:07 AM

Hmmm......I wonder why all the shops won't do it then? We have to be missing something here. I wonder if they use a laser that attaches to the tire not the hub or wheel? Maybe the tires are too tall? Just speculation...I would like to get it aligned though. I didn't ask the Ford dealer because I figured they would give me the same answer, but maybe not?

fg250 01-14-2012 07:00 AM

Is it pulling to one side or the other? Changing the tires shoudn't knock it out of aligment. Just curious why you want an aligment, as you didn't mention any problems with it. I would take it to a Ford dealer though if you are having issues.

devongarver 01-14-2012 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by fg250 (Post 11282168)
Is it pulling to one side or the other? Changing the tires shoudn't knock it out of aligment. Just curious why you want an aligment, as you didn't mention any problems with it. I would take it to a Ford dealer though if you are having issues.

Well the truck it has about 24,000 miles on it and has not had one yet and normally I align my vehicle every time that I rotate tires just to keep them from wearing poorly. Also the set of tires I took off was beginning to slightly cup on the front on both sides. And Of course there is also the obvious that these tires are not cheap to replace so I want to have them aligned properly so they wear correctly. I have read on jeep forums using the same exact tires because they're very popular there that some of the guys do their own front end alignments buy simply making the front outside of the tires a little bit narrower than the rear outside of the tires. Which reminds me a little off topic but man do i love these tires if you guys ever are looking for a set of tires these things are awesome in snow mud and rain.

kmonty2 01-14-2012 04:10 PM

What kind of tires do you have? You never posted the brand and model, just that they are 35's.

devongarver 01-14-2012 04:18 PM

Oops I'm sorry I thought I had it in my Signature I just realized I did not. They are made by a company called treadwright. Here is a link to the exact tire that I have. https://www.treadwright.com/p-79-315...dog-m-t-d.aspx
These tires are way cheaper than the toyo open country mud terrain tires or the goodyear tires that they are comparible to. Sorry if the typing is a little weird I am doing this on my phone

biz4two 01-16-2012 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by devongarver (Post 11282061)
Hmmm......I wonder why all the shops won't do it then? We have to be missing something here. I wonder if they use a laser that attaches to the tire not the hub or wheel? Maybe the tires are too tall? Just speculation...I would like to get it aligned though. I didn't ask the Ford dealer because I figured they would give me the same answer, but maybe not?

If they are using a laser...the size of tire shouldn't matter. Front to back...is still front to back. Just tell them you want a factory alignment...and they should be able to do it.

Or...might want to call Tonneau Covers, Lift Kits, Winches, Leveling Kits, Tires, Wheels & Tonneau Cover Truck Parts by 4 Wheel Parts and ask them how they would align your truck with 35" tires. If they do not know...then nobody does.:-X04

Good luck...

biz
:-X22

love4x4 01-17-2012 05:30 PM

I've never heard such nonesense!!!! What part of USA do you live in?

Super08 01-17-2012 08:47 PM

The only thing that will change is the track as it will be a bit wider. It will not stop them from doing a factory alignment. Take it somewhere else.

Smokeispower 02-23-2012 06:59 AM

I was looking at the specs for that tire - I guess you know that they are D rated, not E? that's another issue that they may call you on.
Don't know why they can't align it - you have stock wheels and the same tires front and back, right? The added width will be split inside/outside, so maybe you want a bit more toe to compensate for the added drag on the suspension, but caster and camber should be no problem to check and set.

devongarver 02-23-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Smokeispower (Post 11475569)
I was looking at the specs for that tire - I guess you know that they are D rated, not E? that's another issue that they may call you on.
Don't know why they can't align it - you have stock wheels and the same tires front and back, right? The added width will be split inside/outside, so maybe you want a bit more toe to compensate for the added drag on the suspension, but caster and camber should be no problem to check and set.

Love4x4 - I live in northeast ohio.

And yes I do realize they are a D load rating. I actually ordered the E load rating but they called me back and said they did not have it available

devongarver 02-23-2012 07:10 AM

I do not understand why they are giving me such a hard time I will go elsewhere right now it is not as much of a concern because I drive a company vehicle daily.