Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   High-Idle Mod (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1128237-high-idle-mod.html)

maverick1701 01-05-2012 03:04 AM

High-Idle Mod

I run a 09 Expedition 4x4 5.4V8 as my work truck for the Sheriffs Office.
I was wondering if there was a way to wire up a high idle switch.
I did a search and only came up with threads about vacuum leaks causing high idle...nothing about making a switch.

There are times (like tonight) where I have to sit at a crime scene for hrs and hrs. I hate to let my vehicle just idle away for that long...especially if Im inside sitting, using electronics etc.

If I had a high-idle switch it would help alleviate the problems that come with excess idle.

96mustangV6 01-06-2012 10:51 PM

Are you talking about something like a turbo timer on cars. They run for so long then shut off???

maverick1701 01-06-2012 11:38 PM

no something I can press to kick up my rpm during times of extended idling....similar to an AIC or ACPM on a powerstroke.

JWA 01-07-2012 06:37 AM

What problems are you having with extended idle times now?

I ask only because my 5.4 gasser-equipped E250 sometimes runs in excess of 1.5 hours rear heater, accessory lighting and various power point outlets in use not to mention the FM radio too. For my use haven't noticed any real issues apart from burning fuel without going anywhere.

maverick1701 01-08-2012 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 11248919)
What problems are you having with extended idle times now?

I ask only because my 5.4 gasser-equipped E250 sometimes runs in excess of 1.5 hours rear heater, accessory lighting and various power point outlets in use not to mention the FM radio too. For my use haven't noticed any real issues apart from burning fuel without going anywhere.

I don't have any electrical problems with long idle, I was more worried with trying to hold off the mechanical problems that come with extended idling (rod bearing problems and such)

Also in the summer I could knock up the idle and keep my A/C cold on wreck scenes and other crime scenes....because exped A/C sucks in heat at idle

JWA 01-09-2012 05:46 AM

Maverick I too was worried about potential engine damage due extended idle times but was assured the Modular engines run lean enough at idle while holding sufficient oil pressure this isn't a problem as it would have been with similar V-8 motors.

In my case winter idle times are the most important for my business materials while on a job but the A/C issues I can't speak to at all.

I'm wondering if an outfit like RV or repair shop or snow plow upfitters wouldn't have something that bumps the idle up a bit, perhaps for running inverters or the like? I know they exist but where eludes me too.

JWA 01-13-2012 08:24 AM

Stumbled across this outfit----links to a throttle control you might be able to use:

VMAC | Brochures | Download VMAC Brochures & Spec Sheets

galaxie641 01-13-2012 08:48 AM

I'd think the dealer could turn up the idle via the computer. Wouldn't have to remember to hit the switch that way, only issue would be if they could make it delay say a minute or so, so it wouldn't do it all the time.

ke5eua 04-07-2013 11:31 AM

I know this thread is old, but I am wondering the same thing. I have a 02 F250 with the 5.4 and when doing special events I will be at idle for hours at a time. I understand the truck can handle the idle but my need is I run a 2K inverter so I need to make sure the alternator is charging when idling.

Thank you,
Michael
KE5EUA - Generally I'm an amateur of hams.
http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14725.png

jp45601 04-15-2013 02:11 PM

I used to have 2004 6.0 diesel & on the Ford powerstroke forum, they told you how to install a switch to add a high idle mod. All you would need is a switch & a couple of pieces of wire. I never done that ,but you could go to the powerestroke forum & maybe you could do to your gas truck? :-huh