Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Dying Starter Solenoid? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1128019-dying-starter-solenoid.html)

Rose Clifford 01-04-2012 10:49 AM

Dying Starter Solenoid?

Before I order a new one, just want to double check with you guys. When it's cold (30deg or lower) my starter doesn't always catch the flywheel. It will spin, or just click and I need to tap on the solenoid to get it to work. New batteries and new alternator 3 months ago.

How much is a solenoid? I have a 2 bolt OSGR starter

Rose Clifford 01-04-2012 11:30 AM

I'm having trouble finding a part # for the starter solenoid...I hope I don't have to get a whole new starter. Mine cranks like a ******* when it works!

1996pwrstrk 01-04-2012 12:23 PM

You are talking about the solenoid on the starter not the relay on the inner fender ? Did you check and make sure the starter bolts were tight ? I would also check your ground wires . I don't know if they make a seperate solenoid for are starters but I have usually found that when you have to tap on the starter to get it to spin its starter time.

carltonwebb 01-04-2012 12:32 PM

if its the 03 in the signature, I do not think they have the fender mounted solenoid on them. I would take it off and get it gone through at the rebuild shop if the mounting bolts are tight.

Rose Clifford 01-04-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk (Post 11236766)
You are talking about the solenoid on the starter not the relay on the inner fender ? Did you check and make sure the starter bolts were tight ? I would also check your ground wires . I don't know if they make a seperate solenoid for are starters but I have usually found that when you have to tap on the starter to get it to spin its starter time.

I haven't checked ground wires...it only happens when it's cold.

I turn the keep and get the WTS light
First try starting, the starter will spin and not engage the motor
Second try it will just click as if the batteries are too low
Tap the starter/solenoid
Starts up fine

The starter was slightly loose a while ago but I've since tightened it up. Out of curiosity though how would this affect it not activating when the key is turned?

The connections should all be tight. Last winter I had a problem with it spinning and not engaging the motor.

Rose Clifford 01-04-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by carltonwebb (Post 11236811)
if its the 03 in the signature, I do not think they have the fender mounted solenoid on them. I would take it off and get it gone through at the rebuild shop if the mounting bolts are tight.

It is the 03 in the sig. Tapping the starter makes me think that's the issue, not the relay.

1996pwrstrk 01-04-2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Clifford (Post 11236821)

The starter was slightly loose a while ago but I've since tightened it up. Out of curiosity though how would this affect it not activating when the key is turned?

With the bolts loose on the starter you loose good ground ,the starter gear can loose contact with the ring gear and just spin and not turn the engine over. I would pull it and have the starter checked.

carltonwebb 01-04-2012 12:46 PM

You are right. It sounds like the solenoid, a burr on the bendix drive, or possibly a bad spot on the armature by what you are describing or possible a little of all 3.

You probably know about this place but just in case. I ordered one for my 2000 from here and it works great> They may have the solenoid for u as well.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/

1996pwrstrk 01-04-2012 12:52 PM

carltonwebb thank you for that info I thought they all had the relay on the inner fender.

carltonwebb 01-04-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk (Post 11236884)
carltonwebb thank you for that info I thought they all had the relay on the inner fender.

I learned it here from someone else. I think 2002 is the 1st year without it. My 2000 and 2001 both have it.

Rose Clifford 01-04-2012 01:07 PM

Ford started using a "2 bolt" OSGR starter on 2/27/01, before then they were "3 bolt" starters.

I'll try snugging everything up tonight....why would it only happen in the cold though?

crop harvester 01-04-2012 07:45 PM

most starters weak point is the solinoid or the pinnion drive , yours could be the solinoid , but it could be just really sticky or rust and dry where the pinnion slides on the armature shaft,I use to rebuild starters for a hobby

Rose Clifford 01-05-2012 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by crop harvester (Post 11238502)
most starters weak point is the solinoid or the pinnion drive , yours could be the solinoid , but it could be just really sticky or rust and dry where the pinnion slides on the armature shaft,I use to rebuild starters for a hobby

Do you know where I can get a new solenoid for the 2-bolt 2002-2003 starter?

joeyd61 01-05-2012 07:25 AM

when mine went out, i was told that you couldnt buy just the solinoid..had to buy a complete starter

empiretc 01-05-2012 09:10 AM

just replaced the starter (and alternator) yesterday. damn, what a difference.

if you are going through the trouble, just replace the entire thing. it's a PITA.