Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Excursion V10 - best modifications to increase performance (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1126937-excursion-v10-best-modifications-to-increase-performance.html)

Xv10 12-31-2011 11:19 AM

Excursion V10 - best modifications to increase performance

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Excursion V10 4x4 with a 4" ProComp suspension lift, 35"x12.5" Nitto Trail Grappler tires (315/60/20) on 20x10 Moto metal MO951 chrome wheels, 4.56 gears, single-in-dual-out Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, and a Banks cold air intake, Banks headers, Banks y-pipe, and Banks Ottomind programmer.

I am neither towing anything nor off-roading, and mpg does not matter to me. I would like to get significantly better acceleration from start-up. Between 6 to 7 seconds on 0-60 mph would be great.

Any ideas what I could/should do to get this? Thanks!

makaibob 12-31-2011 02:17 PM

I've not personally used this kit, but Kenne-Bell has a strong reputation in supercharging kits for a variety of engine. They made their name with the Buick V6, but their kits have been well regarded. Anyway, here's a link that may prove useful. You didn't say what price range you were willing to entertain, but I'd expect $1,500 to $2,500 for a fully engineered supercharging kit. Note, this is NOT a turbo kit.

Good Luck,

Makaibob

Xv10 12-31-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by makaibob (Post 11220482)
I've not personally used this kit, but Kenne-Bell has a strong reputation in supercharging kits for a variety of engine. They made their name with the Buick V6, but their kits have been well regarded. Anyway, here's a link that may prove useful. You didn't say what price range you were willing to entertain, but I'd expect $1,500 to $2,500 for a fully engineered supercharging kit. Note, this is NOT a turbo kit.

Good Luck,

Makaibob

makaibob,
thanks a lot for your response. unfortunately, I did not see the link you mentioned.
i would be willing to spend a few Ks.
i heard about the KB supercharger, are they still available on the market? do you know somebody who has it?
i understand that a supercharger might add some 100-150 hp to the V10 Excursion. this requires a strengthening of the drivetrain... right?

robert_l_ross 12-31-2011 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by makaibob (Post 11220482)

Good Luck,

Makaibob

Forgot the link...

Xv10 12-31-2011 02:43 PM

the link is still not visible...

makaibob 12-31-2011 02:56 PM

My Bad -- I must've fogotten to include the link - Senior moment

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...0-350-tech.htm

Stewart_H 12-31-2011 04:21 PM

Moving this to the Modular V10 6.8L forum where you'll get a TON of help.

Stewart

Xv10 01-01-2012 07:38 AM

thanks! are the KB Sc still on the market?

dkf 01-01-2012 01:47 PM

thanks! are the KB Sc still on the market?
Kenne Bell is still in business and they still make many different superchargers and kits. That said KB discontinued making SC kits for the 2V V10 many years ago. You can still pick them up from time to time on e-bay.

Next thing I would do is toss that Ottomind tuner and get a tuner (like SCT) with custom tunes.

Besides going to forced induction a way to pick up a noticeable performance gain is to ditch the heavy larger wheels/tires and ditch the lift and go back to stock height. To get 6-7 seconds 0-60 especially with your current setup your going to need to go with some sort of forced induction system whether that be a "roots" SC like the KB, a centrifugal SC like a Procharger or a turbo.

Xv10 01-02-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 11224351)
Kenne Bell is still in business and they still make many different superchargers and kits. That said KB discontinued making SC kits for the 2V V10 many years ago. You can still pick them up from time to time on e-bay.

Next thing I would do is toss that Ottomind tuner and get a tuner (like SCT) with custom tunes.

Besides going to forced induction a way to pick up a noticeable performance gain is to ditch the heavy larger wheels/tires and ditch the lift and go back to stock height. To get 6-7 seconds 0-60 especially with your current setup your going to need to go with some sort of forced induction system whether that be a "roots" SC like the KB, a centrifugal SC like a Procharger or a turbo.

Thanks DKF,
Pity KB discontinued making SCs for 2V V10s, which is what I have.
I might replace the Ottomind by Mikes' 5 Star tuner. Have you had the Ottomind and made bad experience with it?
In case I go for a SC, I guess some parts of the engine (e.g., the crankshaft) and the drivetrain will need to be modified/strengthened in order to cope with the increase in power?

mwsF250 01-05-2012 06:23 PM

Like dkf said, getting rid of some of that rotating mass will is easiest way! 20" wheels weigh a LOT and really kill acceleration....
Just for giggles, borrow some 16" wheels with 285/75 tires from someone and try it. You WILL be shocked at the difference!

But something tells me that won't be your preferred option!

Next best bang for buck would probably be even deeper gears to help get engine up into powerband quicker to turn those anchors quicker.

After that, forced induction is the best (but $$$) option, and there are not any "off the shelf" systems available anymore.

Xv10 01-06-2012 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by mwsF250 (Post 11242628)
Like dkf said, getting rid of some of that rotating mass will is easiest way! 20" wheels weigh a LOT and really kill acceleration....
Just for giggles, borrow some 16" wheels with 285/75 tires from someone and try it. You WILL be shocked at the difference!

But something tells me that won't be your preferred option!

Next best bang for buck would probably be even deeper gears to help get engine up into powerband quicker to turn those anchors quicker.

After that, forced induction is the best (but $$$) option, and there are not any "off the shelf" systems available anymore.

mwsF250,

thanks! well, i just spent a lot of money for 20" rims and 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers... so, going back to stock wheels is not an option. i also got 4.56 gears and this is probably good enough. forced induction? you are talking of superchargers SC/turbochargers TC, right? but as you said, there are no "off the shelf" systems available anymore...

so, I don't see any other option than engine tuning, such as increasing the engine displacement by "boring" of the cylinders and pistons, using a crankshaft with a greater throw, increasing the size of the valves in the engine, etc.

I guess this is quite costly, reduces the life of the engine and requires a modification/strengthening of the transmission, driveshaft and any other load-transmitting powertrain components to withstand the load from the increased power...

In any case, a SC/TC would also require the above modifications of the transmission etc., right?

What do you guys think?

dkf 01-06-2012 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Xv10 (Post 11227114)
Thanks DKF,
Pity KB discontinued making SCs for 2V V10s, which is what I have.
I might replace the Ottomind by Mikes' 5 Star tuner. Have you had the Ottomind and made bad experience with it?
In case I go for a SC, I guess some parts of the engine (e.g., the crankshaft) and the drivetrain will need to be modified/strengthened in order to cope with the increase in power?

The Ottomind is concervative more universal canned tunes like a lot of the other off the shelf tuners. There are parts available for the 5.4l for the crank snout and etc to help reduce flex. Obviously with increased power the trans is going to see more stress. The tunes can help it live longer however when it needs rebuilt its best to beef it up a little. All depends on how you drive it and how much power your putting through it. But basically forced induction will shorten the life of and be harder on the engine.

Eaton used to make a Supercharger kit also. I think Vortech made a kit as well but that is a centrifugal supercharger

Found a kit on Ebay. However this kit uses a centrifugal supercharger which is basically a belt driven turbo. They usually make the bulk of the power in the mid to upper rpm range where as the "roots" type supercharger (eaton, KB) build boost quicker and make more power in the lower rpm range and increase as the rpms go up.

PAXTON 1998-2001 V10 TRUCK AND SUV SUPERCHARGER SYSTEM | eBay

Keep an eye out on Ebay.;)

There really is not a whole lot of room to bore the cylinders oversized on the V10 due to the tight spacing and fairly small diameter bore. The strong is already pretty long on the modulars and is oversquare in stock form so increasing the stroke is not really ideal. You could do head work, a lumpier cam and fab up a better flowing intake manifold but that will more than likely shift your powerband up higher and in the truck thats not really ideal. Forced induction is where its at IMO for both HP and TQ.

samsdad02 01-06-2012 02:40 PM

if you do a gear research most people here think that 4.56 is a good starting point with stock size tire (32") if your running 35"s bumping to 4.88 or 5.13 would do you a world of good. if you decide to change gears let me know I'll buy your old set as I run 235's but would love a set of 4.56s ;-}

reaper75032 01-13-2012 01:03 PM

a few other mods you can do is get a larger set of injectors , a larger throttle body and take your truck somewhere they can do a dyno tune to it.. tht will get the maximum HP from it