Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum246/)
-   -   LineX Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1126233-linex-question.html)

dbossman 12-28-2011 03:36 PM

LineX Question

I had a LineX liner sprayed on my KR SuperDuty in August. I paid almost $800 (with taxes) for the whole nine yards including the Xtra color match option.

I have noticed that it tends to scratch easily. The scratches end up showing a different color than what is on the surface of the liner. For example, the truck and tje liner is dark red, but the scratches end up exposing a lighter red, almost pinkish, color material under the surface.

I dont haul much in my bed. Mostly just boy scout camp gear and the occasional Home Depot run.

Today, I was cleaning out the scout storage shed and hauled a bunch of old gear and junk to the dump. After unloading, I noticed a big scratch, more than 1/4 inch wide and 2 feet long running the along the bed floor. At the back end of the scratch was a bunched up wad of liner material. Its hard to tell how thick it really is because it is wadded up. In any case, it seems odd that it is so fragile to what I consider light duty activities.

I decided to stop by the LineX dealer to see if the scratching was normal or not. He told me it was normal and suggested that I stop by the auto parts store to pick up some touch-up paint to fix the scratches. I was like WTF?

Why would I want touch up paint on the high tech kevlar bed liner?

Were my expectations wrong? Is it normal for the liner to get scratches so easily? It doesnt seem any more durable than the factory paint. And if I have to use touch up paint to make it look right, this was a big waste of money.

Perhaps the installation was done wrong and the materials were mixed or applied correctly?

Not sure what to think at this point.

Tim

BPofMD 12-28-2011 09:29 PM

I'd being going back to TALK to that installer!!! If he won't do something, I'd contact LineX direct. They supposedly have one of the best warranties on the market.

Oh yeah, I'd be directing them to this site and post! They don't want this kind of publicity......

TruckDaddy 12-29-2011 02:12 PM

I recommend the following: Tell the dealer you want the scratches repaired with Xtra and then topcoat the entire bedliner with clear Premium. He will know what I'm talking about hopefully, he will do it for free.

The wad of material you are referring to is not normal. Not sure about that one, need to see pics.

dbossman 12-29-2011 02:48 PM

Talked to Customer Support at LineX corporate today. They were very responsive and seemed genuinely interested in helping me figure this out. I am sending them pictures. We'll see what they come up with.

Tim

dbossman 01-09-2012 03:41 PM

Update

Got another call from LineX corporate today. I give them high marks for trying to follow up on my issue.

He told me the local installer claimed that the only reason he suggested using touch up paint was because I was in a hurry. I told the rep that was entirely untrue.

I am going to meet the rep in person with my truck next week. I am curious to see what he tells me after seeing it in person.

He did tell me that the LineX Xtra is not as tough as the standard black bed liner.

I'm surprised by that. If you read their web site, it actually says multiple times that it is tougher, and offers more protection, etc.

Here's a couple quotes from their web site (LINE-X Sprayon Bedliners, Protective Coatings, Truck Bed Coating, Floor Coating, Industrial Flooring)

"THE TOUGHEST, MOST PROTECTIVE BEDLINER AROUND. NOW IN COLOR.
That’s right. The industry’s premier Spray-On Truck Bedliner is now available in your choice of color. It’s called LINE-X® XTRA, and thanks to DuPont™ KEVLAR® technology, our already tough bedliners just got tougher."

"LINE-X XTRA delivers added protection against cracking, bubbling, peeling and color fading."

"STRONGER PROTECTION
LINE-X XTRA is formulated with DuPont™ KEVLAR®, providing superior protection against scratches, gouges and punctures."

Just got tougher? Added protection? Stronger protection?

Not in my experience.

Again, I look forward to seeing what the Rep has to say when he sees it in person.

Tim

dbossman 01-17-2012 07:31 AM

Update

Met with the Rep from LineX corporate. He confirmed that the deep scratches that I have are not uncommon with Xtra. Essentially what happened is something that I loaded scraped the Xtra layer (which appears to be about .040 thick when I mic'd it) off the underlying bedliner.

Despite what the LineX website says, Xtra its NOT stronger. It may be technically valid that it is molecularly bonded to the underlying liner, but that is marketing hype. It comes off almost as easily as the factory paint came off the metal bed. Put anything in your bed and you will get discoloration marks where the Xtra has been rubbed or scraped. Worst case, you'll get big shavings like I did.

He said he would talk to corporate to see if he could get the website changed as it is not an accurate representation of Xtra's capabilities.

So to wrap this up:

1. Corporate LineX has been very very responsive. I give them high marks for that.

2. I would not recommend the local installer (LineX Plano Texas). Touch up paint should not be used to repair the liner. Period. The approrpriate fix is to respray the liner / Xtra material.

3. LineX is going to cover the repair under warranty.

4. Buyers need to be aware when considering Xtra. !!!

From my perspective, its a waste of money. It looks good and could be used to cover up a trashed bed. But, if you want to use your bedliner, it wont stand up to basic use. LineX will repair the damage, but that requires you to give them your truck for half a day, each time. Go with the base bed liner if you will use your bed. Xtra is purely cosmetic.

Overall, I'm really disappointed in the LineX product. After dropping $800, its hard not to feel cheated. I could have bought a bunch of plastic bedliners for that price.

I for one will not make that mistake again.

Tim

senix 01-17-2012 01:44 PM

Got I came accross this thread. I have had line x in a few trucks but always the black as i could not see getting the color and the extra cost of it.

D-mon 02-19-2012 10:31 PM

I got an Line-x Question........Well 2 really...

If i remove my Handle that on my tailgate for the step and replace it with a cover place and line-x ....Can I someday remove the plate/cover and install my handle with out any problems??

Also How many of you guys LINE-X your wheel wells??

thanks guys!

senix 02-20-2012 05:44 AM

Line guys can do alot of stuff. For mine they removed or taped over stuff that should not be sprayed. So seems resonable that they can taylor the spray as you desire. I don't know of anyone that has sprayed the inside wheel wells. But they can.

D-mon 02-20-2012 10:15 PM

thanks senix
Yeah thats what i thought they would just throw some tape on whatever i didn't want sprayed.

kenn322 02-22-2012 01:58 PM

Wow 800 bucks? That's a lot of camping trips! Wonder what the run of the mill line-x costs... The basic black package.

snelldawg 03-16-2012 01:28 PM

The basic Line-x costs about $500 for a long bed. I had mine done a few months back and think it was about that.

Tonyplane 03-16-2012 01:38 PM

I had the Ford factory "ToughBed" spray liner ordered for my 2012 F250 lariat. Looks good. Have only had a few 1300lb wood pallets pushed into the bed. Absolutely no indications of any sprayed in liner distress. So far glad I ordered it. Hope it holds up.

TruckDaddy 03-16-2012 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tonyplane (Post 11582693)
I had the Ford factory "ToughBed" spray liner ordered for my 2012 F250 lariat. Looks good. Have only had a few 1300lb wood pallets pushed into the bed. Absolutely no indications of any sprayed in liner distress. So far glad I ordered it. Hope it holds up.

It will probably be fine for you, but there are advantages to an aftermarket bedliner, I'll use LINE-X as a comparison:

1. ToughBed is about 60 to 65 mils thick which is about half the thickness of LINE-X. So, it's fine for a slip resistant surface, but it's not going to provide much impact protection.

2. ToughBed has a 3 year/36K mile warranty. LINE-X has a limited lifetime warranty.

3. If you ever develop a problem with ToughBed, the dealer can't fix it. And, the original product is not available. If you develop a problem with a LINE-X bedliner, you can get it fixed at any LINE-X dealer nationwide and you can obtain the original product.

4. ToughBed is only available in aromatic black, LINE-X offers color matches as well as black (both aromatic and aliphatic).

onug 03-16-2012 10:35 PM

Thanks for posting about your issues. I put the regular LineX in all my trucks. I've toyed with doing a color matched spray on the rocker panels, but will now skip that idea.