Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Coil On Plugs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1125769-coil-on-plugs.html)

Rosson03 12-26-2011 06:19 PM

Coil On Plugs

Anyone has tried any aftermarket Coil On Plugs! any differences........ thanks

Bakerboy 12-26-2011 07:35 PM

Funny I am getting ready to do the same thing. I was told to stay away from Accel. There are plenty on eBay. I think I am going with the ones on summit racing. Just not sure if I have a 2 valve or a 4 valve 5.4L.

Summit Racing SUM-850592 - Summit Racing® Coil-On-Plug Ignition Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I have a 2001 with the 5.4. I changed plugs about 9 months ago and should have change the COP’s also.
I have a horrible mis at about 45-50.

ComputerCowboy 12-26-2011 07:48 PM

I bought the cheap ones off eBay. My guy hasn't put them on yet. The Ex is with my shade tree guy right now, I am having him do a whole bunch of stuff. I figured the cheap eBay COPs were worth a shot, I got a whole set of 10 for $94.

These are the ones I got... eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I figure that they will probably work, the question is will they last? I will let you know how it runs after my guy puts them on.
It can't run any worse than it does now, I just bought it and on the way home it developed the bucking misfire.

Stewart_H 12-26-2011 07:48 PM

Why do you guys (you guys = gas powered Excursion owners) always talk about changing COP's when it isn't necessary?

There are a lot of high powered Lightnings that still run the OEM COP's because there isn't really a cost effective viable alternative, that improves upon the OEM COP.

Stewart

ComputerCowboy 12-26-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 11200373)
Why do you guys (you guys = gas powered Excursion owners) always talk about changing COP's when it isn't necessary?

There are a lot of high powered Lightnings that still run the OEM COP's because there isn't really a cost effective viable alternative, that improves upon the OEM COP.

Stewart

I am doing it because I think at least one of my COPs is bad, it is way cheaper to have my shade tree guy do them all than it is to have the dealer figure out which is bad.

Rosson03 12-26-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bakerboy (Post 11200286)
Funny I am getting ready to do the same thing. I was told to stay away from Accel. There are plenty on eBay. I think I am going with the ones on summit racing. Just not sure if I have a 2 valve or a 4 valve 5.4L.

Summit Racing SUM-850592 - Summit Racing® Coil-On-Plug Ignition Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I have a 2001 with the 5.4. I changed plugs about 9 months ago and should have change the COP’s also.
I have a horrible mis at about 45-50.

do u honestly think it would help any improvment other than the bad one of cource. i need 10 baby yeah buddy rolen like a broke empty shot

Rosson03 12-26-2011 08:19 PM

i was just looking around..... and found this granatelli mpg coil around $285 15% better milage or your money back, or your money back and then on JCWhitney had some "better" granatelli coil that increace horses for over $600 whatttttttttttttttttt
\
what you think that is all about.....
and i think my excusion is a 2v. i heard someone talking about it but how do i know if there right!

Bakerboy 12-26-2011 08:19 PM

No, but much easier to just change them all then change and drive to figure which one is bad. It’s getting cold in the east and my ex is too tall (lifted) for my garage. Although I have a buddy that could bring it in and do them. I also saw the link from computercowboy and found several for under $100.

I know there are a lot of debates on OEM vs. after market on these, but the savings is so great and I have not seem a major argument on supporting paying 2-3 times more. I get concerned from the days of VCR’s when there were only 4 or 5 manufactures and there were over 20 brands in the market place. Someone is making most of these and putting different labels on them.

Plus some of the ones on eBay are lifetime warranty. Sorry wont be the first time I am wrong.

archtaan 12-26-2011 08:25 PM

Unless you are making a forced induction change or running nitrous, I would save the money and run OEM ones. Now, if you want to change em because of the appearance then you wont be hurting anything. You just wont see any HP increases. I run OEM ones on my Challenger and make nearly 1100hp to the wheels.

Rosson03 12-26-2011 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rosson03 (Post 11200494)
i was just looking around..... and found this granatelli mpg coil around $285 15% better milage or your money back, or your money back and then on JCWhitney had some "better" granatelli coil that increace horses for over $600 whatttttttttttttttttt
\
what you think that is all about.....
and i think my excusion is a 2v. i heard someone talking about it but how do i know if there right!

well OEM vs After market... lol then who makes the best after market. its not like you can go up to granatelli let me see some results on black and white!

aortizexcursion 12-26-2011 08:29 PM

The gas engines in the Excursion are 2 valve Tritons...

I'm going to agree with Stewart as well. If you can get those other COPS for less than Motorcraft COPS, go for it; just don't expect any crazy gains in HP or FE.

aortizexcursion 12-26-2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rosson03 (Post 11200514)
well OEM vs After market... lol then who makes the best after market. its not like you can go up to granatelli let me see some results on black and white!

There really isn't a "best aftermarket" because the best is OEM.

Rosson03 12-26-2011 08:36 PM

great thanks guys for your alls help!

Bakerboy 12-26-2011 08:59 PM

Thanks also appreciate the input. Not looking for any great gains, just stopping the mis.
This is why these forums are so great. Always an educational experience.

ExxWhy 12-26-2011 09:18 PM

You can figure out which COP is bad with a simple code scanner. It won't trigger the CEL, but usually has left a code.