Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   51 step van (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1125279-51-step-van.html)

topmoo 12-24-2011 06:59 AM

51 step van

This is an unusual 1951 F5 on ebay right now in case somebody needs a new Christmas project. too big for me...

Ford Ford | eBay

If the link doesn't work the ebay item number is 320818225814

Jeff and Nicolle 12-24-2011 09:43 AM

That's only 20 mins from me. No I don't want it! I would like to go give that kid a lesson in spelling though....
IF anyone is interested i could run down there. I would like to see what "indore/outdore" carpet is.

maybe he would trade for some education?

tinman52 12-24-2011 09:48 AM

That is really cool.....it looked way better red to me. Sure would make a cool camper or hauler.

bobj49f2 12-24-2011 10:27 AM

Jeff, I agree on the spelling lesson, my eyes hurt after reading that ad.

It was originally red, I'd bet it was an old fire truck and has low miles.

Looks to have the Widow Maker rims.

Jeff and Nicolle 12-24-2011 12:49 PM

I noticed the reserve is not met at $2000, what would that be worth?
I wouldn't think it would bring $2000, but maybe that's just me...

White 97 xlt 12-24-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle (Post 11193078)
That's only 20 mins from me. No I don't want it! I would like to go give that kid a lesson in spelling though....
IF anyone is interested i could run down there. I would like to see what "indore/outdore" carpet is.

maybe he would trade for some education?

I don't think the truck would be worth the time to educate him!! :(

I'm thinking it would take a couple of hours to just show him how to use a spell checker.. :-X04

bobj49f2 12-24-2011 02:26 PM

Jeff, I agree $2000 would be tops around here. If I was in the market I personally wouldn't go higher than $1500 if it was in restoreable, original condition. I wouldn't expect a pristine truck for that much but I think once someone starts to screw around modifying a vehicle the value is diminished. Who know what other modifications have been done on this truck.

BTW, I ran spell checker on both of my posts on this thread. I didn't want to come off looking like a hypocrite.

age62newbie 12-24-2011 04:14 PM

I agrie with everbuddy thet too tousend dollers semes liak a lott of munny.

PS: Pleze expane what is spelchek?

age62newbie 12-24-2011 04:16 PM

Sory, I misspeld "whut".

White 97 xlt 12-24-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by age62newbie (Post 11194079)
I agrie with everbuddy thet too tousend dollers semes liak a lott of munny.

PS: Pleze expane what is spelchek?

Originally Posted by age62newbie (Post 11194087)
Sory, I misspeld "whut".

^^^^^:-X24^^^^^

bobj49f2 12-24-2011 07:15 PM

omce no nwo, ew dnt'o ened plsel hccke od ew?

Jolly Roger Joe 12-24-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 11194516)
omce no nwo, ew dnt'o ened plsel hccke od ew?

I really had to struggle with that one. BTW, the entire quote is underlined in red on my screen right now, except for the "on" or "no". So to answer your question, yes "we" do. :)

Jeff and Nicolle 12-24-2011 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 11194853)
I really had to struggle with that one. BTW, the entire quote is underlined in red on my screen right now, except for the "on" or "no". So to answer your question, yes "we" do. :)

LOL dang Bob! You need to start writing cryptoquotes! LOL WOW! yeah that took me a good few minutes!:-X04

Rojak 12-25-2011 09:45 AM

Hopefully this guy doesn't think he has a $10,000 vehicle on his hands. It's amazing what some think the value is. This one needs to be saved before the guy puts a giant logo on it that aint got korrect gramer or spellenge.

Very cool and rare old truck and probably low miles if it was a fire truck. It's very close to me as well but I'm not going to look at it because it might follow me home and then I'd have to live in it after I got kicked out. Actually I really don't have an interest as it does not come with a "warente".

Merry Christmas!

Rob

bobj49f2 12-25-2011 01:06 PM

The last truck I bought a few months ago was sitting in an inner city garage for 20 years. It was a rot bucket, really, it also had some interesting custom grill work. The first time I looked at it it was parked in an old dilapidated garage with plywood screwed over the doors and one 60 watt bulb. I could only see one side of the truck and couldn't check the engine if it was any good. From what I could see was rusted out panels with at least a 1/4" of bondo covering the bottom half of the truck. I asked the seller what he was looking to get for it and he told me he didn't know much about old trucks but he'd seen truck like it sell for anywhere between $5-25K on the net. I told him as politely as possible that this was no $5-25K truck. I told him since I couldn't get to see enough of the truck the best I'd offer was a few bucks over scrap. I told him he might find some one else willing to pay more and that he should try to find some one more interested in the truck. A few weeks later I ended up buying it for a little more than scrap because he needed out of the garage.

I think a lot of people see the BJ auctions and some of the nutty prices being paid on eBay a few years back and think just because it's old it's worth a fortune. They don't realize the amount of work and money it takes to get the the BJ condition. Also, in the case of larger trucks, many don't realize even if they're in good condition the market is smaller because parts are more expensive, harder to find and you need a lot more room to work on them and to store. Also, it costs a lot more to move a big truck from point A to point B. This van has the big truck chassis and it will not be cheap to haul anything in it. I would think he could get a better price if it was smaller truck.