Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Supercharger, Turbocharger, Nitrous Oxide & Water/Methanol Injection (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum126/)
-   -   f250 5.4 supercharger (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1125250-f250-5-4-supercharger.html)

Maclicious3389 12-24-2011 12:49 AM

f250 5.4 supercharger

I have a 99 f250 SD with the 5.4 engine and I am thinking about supercharging it. So I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts or Ideas on which supercharger would be my best option? As well as produce the most power?

The other option I have been looking into for the truck is the cummins diesel conversion. Any thoughts or recommendations on either idea would be greatly appreciated.

jokerforever 12-25-2011 09:51 AM

I don't see any reason why you can't use a Lightning set up. I think it's been done before and the parts seem to be all over EBay.

Ironhand03 12-26-2011 08:37 AM

He would have to make sure that he uses parts from the early Gen II lightnings that use NPI heads. As the PI lower wont work and the super charger might have to be modified to work due a bolt hole location being moved. The front drive and timing cover are the same though.

Maclicious3389 12-27-2011 12:40 PM

Thank you guys, I am still relatively new to all this and I want to make this truck my baby. So I’m sorry if my questions sound kind of stupid, I’m still learning haha.
But the Gen II Lightning kits are the ones designed for 99 -2000 years, correct? If I do go with the lightning supercharger, will I have to upgrade my headers and exhaust? Also, I currently have a K&N cold air intake system in the truck, would I still be able to use that?
Lol Lastly, if it’s not too much trouble do you think one of you might be able to create list of parts for me to help make this happen in my truck?
-Thanks again I greatly appreciate all the help.

phil6608 12-29-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ironhand03 (Post 11198367)
He would have to make sure that he uses parts from the early Gen II lightnings that use NPI heads. As the PI lower wont work and the super charger might have to be modified to work due a bolt hole location being moved. The front drive and timing cover are the same though.

The 99 5.4 has PI heads!
So any Gen-2 Lightning intake assembly would bolt right on. :-X22

phil6608 12-29-2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maclicious3389 (Post 11202840)
Thank you guys, I am still relatively new to all this and I want to make this truck my baby. So I’m sorry if my questions sound kind of stupid, I’m still learning haha.
But the Gen II Lightning kits are the ones designed for 99 -2000 years, correct? If I do go with the lightning supercharger, will I have to upgrade my headers and exhaust? Also, I currently have a K&N cold air intake system in the truck, would I still be able to use that?
Lol Lastly, if it’s not too much trouble do you think one of you might be able to create list of parts for me to help make this happen in my truck?
-Thanks again I greatly appreciate all the help.

Any kit from a 1999 to 2004 Lightning kit will bolt right on your truck. :-X22 the 01 to 04 intake assembly make a little more power due to and upgraded intake manifold.
You do not have to upgrade headers or exhaust. But will most likely have to sell your K&N and get a different air intake to work with a Lightning.
Here is the list of parts and a great guy to buy them from and talk to if you need any help with any of it. :D
http://www.madenterprise.com/scparts.htm
You will also need some tuning for the computer to make it all run.

Ironhand03 12-29-2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by phil6608 (Post 11213435)
The 99 5.4 has PI heads!
So any Gen-2 Lightning intake assembly would bolt right on. :-X22

Ive pulled a 2000 L apart and it had NPI hands. Maybe it was just that truck.

phil6608 12-29-2011 09:56 PM

It must of not been the original motor then.
They all came with PI heads from 99 to 04. 2V PI heads.
Or maybe it wasn't an L but a clone...lol