Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   1st oil change (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1124860-1st-oil-change.html)

jmiley 12-22-2011 10:12 AM

1st oil change

My new F250 Superduty 4x4 Lariat with a 6.2 liter engine has 3,000 miles on it, and the smart screen says the ouil life is at 74%.

In the past I have always changed the oil and filter in new vehicles at about 3,000 miles for the first oil change and put a PTFE treatment like Slick 50 in it and then a few more oil changes down the road I would treat it again.

I usually am not very good at changing the oil in trucks after they start getting some age on them and figure one reason why I have gotten away with it was because of the PTFE treatments done early on.

The dealer said to not change to oil until 7,500 miles or until the indicator says to.

Would I be hurting the engine by changing the oil early and putting in a PTFE treatment, or am I just wasting my money?

Thanks

Super08 12-22-2011 11:17 AM

I do my own services and no way am I going to go by the indicator. I change mine every 5K max, usually at 3K. They are pushing the manufactures into longer intervals to be environmentally friendly. BMW does the same thing, they change theirs every 15K and the oil is disgusting by then and the smell of it is something else. That is with a full synthetic which our trucks do not have in them. The first oil change I do at 1000 miles or less to flush out the sand etc. that is left over from manufacturing the engine.

jmiley 12-22-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Super08 (Post 11185197)
I do my own services and no way am I going to go by the indicator. I change mine every 5K max, usually at 3K. They are pushing the manufactures into longer intervals to be environmentally friendly. BMW does the same thing, they change theirs every 15K and the oil is disgusting by then and the smell of it is something else. That is with a full synthetic which our trucks do not have in them. The first oil change I do at 1000 miles or less to flush out the sand etc. that is left over from manufacturing the engine.

The salesman told me the oil was synthetic and a special blend for break in and should saty in until 7500 of until the indicator said to change it.

A salesman wouldn't lie would they?

I have serviced my trucks for the most part, that is one reason why I have gotten sloppy when they get older but try to take care of them especially when new.

I think the motor should be broken in by 3,000 miles, is it?

do you think it is too soon to put a PTFE treatment in such as slick 50?

Super08 12-22-2011 11:48 AM

I don't use treatments, I just maintain a good quality oil and keep the oil & filter changes up to date. In all my previous diesel trucks I also sent oil samples off to Blackstone. I haven't done that with this engine but I may on my next oil change.

2000silverbullet 12-22-2011 01:51 PM

My oil changes are going to the dealer until my warranty's up... I've had 2 this year (truck has 9k on it). I plan on keeping on the 5k schedule, rotating tires every oil change as well (habit from my 37" M/T's I had on my old truck).

snelldawg 12-22-2011 05:04 PM

Has anyone else heard about this break-in oil from the factory?
My truck just hit 1k miles and I was planning on having the oil changed. If she's full of top notch oil then I'll hold off, LOL

Super08 12-22-2011 05:08 PM

Most break in oils are not what you would call top notch. The ones I have been exposed to are actually formulated to give less protection to accelerate wear and allow the rings to seat quicker. The sooner the rings seat the less blow by you will get. You see this more so in two stroke racing engines. The sooner you can get the components to wear in the sooner you can go hard on them and not have excessive heat build up.

m350 12-29-2011 07:03 PM

Jmiley,,How did your older engine seem to last after the "Slick 50" treatments ??

Now,,, I myself dont use any of these "engine treatments" on any of my vehicles,,,,but years ago my Dad put "Slick 50" in his 87' F-150 5.0,,and moms Grand Marqui 5.0,,,these engines sounded great when they were traded in or sold off,,,My Dads F-150 had 90k on it,,and sat for months after he passed away,,,someone was interested in it,,,,,put a battery in it,,, fired up,,,not a tick or loud lifter,,after sitting for months,,,,maybe it was the "Slick 50" treatments that helped ??

jmiley 12-30-2011 07:00 PM

M350,

When I was in High School I took auto mechanics and a guy came out and did a demonstration with Slick50 treatment and ver since then I have always used it or other treatments, the one I just used in my 2012 F250 was Duralube.

I don't take very good care of my vehicles, especially when they get older.

I have a 2000 F250 with 242,000 miles on it and it runs great, and I have run it so low on oil that the pressure guage would go to zero and I would have to add a gallon of oil, I think one reason why I have gotten lucky like this is because of the oil treatments I have used in the past, plus Ford builds a good motor (Gas).

I seriously doubt I would get away with that on a diesel engine and I pull a lot of weight at times with my trucks.

My 1st oil cjange on the new truck was at 3,661 miles, I used motorcraft 5-20 synthetic blend, thought I had bought synthetic until I looked at the jug better.

The oil that came out of the vehicle was red in color, almost like transmission fluid and very thin.