Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Theft Prevention? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1124624-theft-prevention.html)

onebigtruck 12-21-2011 01:55 PM

Theft Prevention?

I recently had my 1999 f350 7.3l stolen and when they found it it was totalled.. so I have a meeting in 2 hours to talk with my insurance guy about money and such.

I found another 7.3l with less than 3k miles more than mine had.. however I'm unsure about buying because security concerns me.

What can you do to prevent from breakins? Obviously guys will break the window if they want. However wouldn't the first thing they try to do is pop the handle? If I have a security system the sensitivity when set right as I had on previous cars will trigger the alarm if they try to pop the handle..

So I'm wondering aside from getting jimmi jammers are there any theft prevention full billet aluminum handles or anything of that type for the f250??

something that fully replaces the door handle?!

microdevil45 12-21-2011 03:22 PM

I know if they want in your truck they will get in. Be through the window, door or whatever. I am currently starting the springerpops disabler. I think it will be much better than an alarm system. However if I was to do an alarm system I would have it set up to some train horns. That will wake everyone up.

SpringerPop's Disabler

Sorry for the loss man.

diesel-fitter-bum01 12-21-2011 03:28 PM

Streetbeatcustoms.com has some for 400$ a pair. Little pricey for me.

Jmatthews 12-21-2011 03:40 PM

Set your dp tuner on no start.

Brother Les 12-21-2011 03:56 PM

When you get out of the truck, pull the fuel pump fuse and put it in your pocket and put it back in when you get back in the truck.

Nothing will stop someone who really wants your xxxx..... you just have to slow them down and hopefully you can catch them at it.

empiretc 12-21-2011 04:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Jimmy jammers and the billet handles are ok, but really not effective. If they want something bad, they will break a window.

For piece of mind on the cheap, install a blinking LED. This will give the appearance of the alarm. Then pull the IDM relay. Marv's setup is the a fancy version of this.

You can build it, or get something like the Logisys 12V 15AMP Relay Kit Remote Control for less than $20 and modify to suit.

Shake-N-Bake 12-21-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by microdevil45 (Post 11181716)
I know if they want in your truck they will get in. Be through the window, door or whatever. I am currently starting the springerpops disabler. I think it will be much better than an alarm system. However if I was to do an alarm system I would have it set up to some train horns. That will wake everyone up.

SpringerPop's Disabler

Sorry for the loss man.

I have the SPED mod on all my trucks. It won't stop anyone from getting inside the cab but they won't be able to start the engine without quite a bit of effort. If they want my truck then they better bring a bigger truck to tow it away because they won't be driving it anywhere.....ever. :D

onebigtruck 12-22-2011 12:12 AM

so whats the ultimate theft system to try to prevent:

Car Alarm w/ Train horns connected to secondary battery w/ interior sirens
Jimmi Jammer door handle and hood latch
Car Alarm Flashing LED On dash
Ravelco Kill switch or other type kill switch
Keep empty truck inside

this about it? as far as most you can do?

what are people talking about swapping their front door handle with their rear handle? Do this actually work? If you had the front door handle on the 2nd driver door could they not break into that handle and get in??

twags6 12-22-2011 01:44 AM

Putting the rear handle in place of the front eliminates the lock which can be easily punched out with a screwdriver and turned to unlock the door. The jimmi jammers keep them from prying the handle out and pushing the latch lever by hand. IIRC, someone talked about disconnecting the handles completely and installing door poppers so there's no way to open the doors. They'll just smash the window then though....

Jmatthews 12-22-2011 07:17 AM

They punched mine out when I went to Atlanta once, I didn't have anything for them to steal though. Just have a hole in the passenger door where they punched it. Best thing is keep everything out of sight in your truck and the DP tuner no start is good for no theft.

onebigtruck 12-22-2011 07:12 PM

my whole thing is this..

revalco or ravelco however spelled theft prevention plug installed... jimmi jammer and alarm with extra sirens or train horns w/ motion sensors...

if they come up to the truck and dont see the LED on dash the motion sensor will start to beep... if they somehow disconnected the battery the alarm would have its own battery..

if they hit the door handle the jimmi jammer would stop that and the alarm would go off.

If they got inside the truck couldn't be taken cause of the ravelco system... thats if they got inside.. if you had the alarm set up with the motion i think it would make most leave the worst i see is broken window but again sirens would be blairing...

i live in kansas too not a big city my truck is probably one of maybe 2 that will be stolen the entire year lol

jcrammell 12-23-2011 06:47 AM

I put a Ravelco in my truck and two hours after it was installed some jack wagon tried to steal my truck. No luck, truck didn't move an inch. The only way my truck is leaving with out my permission is with a tow truck. I highly recommend the Ravelco. It works trust me.

indyF-350psd 12-23-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jcrammell (Post 11188502)
I put a Ravelco in my truck and two hours after it was installed some jack wagon tried to steal my truck. No luck, truck didn't move an inch. The only way my truck is leaving with out my permission is with a tow truck. I highly recommend the Ravelco. It works trust me.

i have been eyeballing that system for a year now. i finally decided now that i have enough money invested into my rig its time to bite the bullet so my truck doesnt get taken from me! gonna get one installed after the new year. do you have a pic of where they installed the thingy? if you dont want to show it for security reasons i understand......

PaysonPSD 12-23-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by indyF-350psd (Post 11189175)
do you have a pic of where they installed the thingy? if you dont want to show it for security reasons i understand......

Check out this link Ravelco for the Superduty

nlemerise 12-23-2011 01:09 PM

Just thinking out loud here (and I am cheap)...Both of my homes are in very rural areas and when I have to leave the truck when I get a run, I remove relays #30 (pcm) and #32 (IDM). Probably either would do the job, I would assume. Truck will never start without them. So what I was thinking is maybe build a small harness to "move" the relays to under the dash to make it a little more convenient for pulling the relays out. No one can stop a thief from getting in if they want to bad enough, but without the relays the truck isn't being driven away. I remember Pop (I think) had designed a cheap system for protection against theft using magnets to engage/disengage system.